Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 10,581 times

Advertisements

Hey all, i'm just looking for some advice on a good area to move to. I currently serve in the army in iraq and will be getting out when i return in may of 09. I'm looking for a nice area with good employment opertunities that is not too far from the beach. i would prefer to stay in the city. but cost of living is of decent priority to me since i will be just getting back on my feet again. i have been looking at a few areas but cant really decide on any especially since i cant just fly out of baghdad to visit... lol anyway i apreciate your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 AM

91 posts, read 378,509 times
Welcome home. The larger cities like Columbia and Greenville /Spartansburg would have the best job opportunities. Cost of living is higher closer to the beach.
Come down and look them over. You might benefit also by being near a military base as you know and there are several.
Wish you well

Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM

i appreciate your help and i will look into these areas.. if there any others that are from these areas please speak up and tell me how it is.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
There are several military instalations throughout the state. If you are looking to stay close to the beach you may want to consider Charleston, Beaufort or even Savannah. Inland, you would want to concentrate on the Columbia area, still less than 3 hours to the beach.

Thank you for your service!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Definitely take a close look at Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia, and North Charleston.

Thank you so much for your loyal service to our nation. I salute your bravery and honor your character!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
I think your line of work will also factor into your decission. Greenville has more automotive,advertising, the beach area tourism, Charleston too!Several big Insurance firms in Columbia etc. look for concentrations of your specific industry. And also Thank You for your Service and sacrifice for our country. Best of luck!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM

hey guys, thanks for the info best i've had yet ..... so, if you had to narrow it down what would be the order of precedence like 1,2 ,3, 4. my interest is a decent night life with good amount of culture and history and i'm also looking for good colleges and grade schools. I want to be able to go to a park and have some decent neighborhoods for when me & my fiance do the whole ring thing & have kids. lol thanx for your input guys.

Justin

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
You'll receive different responses based on each person's different interest in each area, so my recommendation is to definitely take time to visit each city in person with your fiancée. This will give you both an opportunity to compare each place according to your own tastes. I say this because your stated interests can easily be found in each of the three major metros in the state. Your time would be well spent, I can confidently assure you.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:47 PM

30 posts, read 123,122 times
Justin:

I simply want to take some room here to thank you for your bravery, sacrafice and for protecting my family. My babies are here and safe because of your selflessness.

God Bless and come home get married and have your own

Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 PM

543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
My brother is a captain the army and is stationed in iraq right now. Salute to you! Anyhoo, I agree with the other cities that have been recommended to you. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina