Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:37 AM
B&R

148 posts, read 314,675 times

Advertisements

Some co-incidence. Sunday I caught a 3 foot long snake trying to get in my house. It had slipped through a gap under the storm door and was in between the storm door and the back door. Last year I caught a longer snake of the same type IN the house.

In general I don't fear snakes and actually wouldn't mind one chasing off the rodents that attack the garden every year but finding one in your closet is not good for your peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 07:55 AM

496 posts, read 462,763 times
Ooh, my husband would have a heart attack right then and there.

I would need someone like the Orin man except for snakes. Lol. A friend in Florida just posted pics of a snake slithering up the side of her house. People thought it was a corn snake but still scary.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:12 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,649,186 times
But the flip side of the coin is that no one in Greenville I know of has had snakes slither inside their house, even up to the storm door.

Even if you live in the country, if you get a house with a crawl space it is unlikely the snake will crawl into the house. It can get into the crawl space but then your husband should not go into that area. Maybe you can clear it out.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 AM

I'd have too. Lol

Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 AM

932 posts, read 1,637,488 times
You must realize that snakes will lay motionless if not detected and a motionless snake is pretty much invisible unless it has ventured onto the porch or concrete. Also, during cooler times, snakes will warm themselves by laying on a surface like asphalt or concrete AT NIGHT (when the hawks and owls have a lesser chance for them). I have been cleaning out the drive drain ditches and a rattler was brought up in the rear tractor tread - right beside my resting arm; fortunately, it was dazed from the experience and after composing myself, it was disposed of. Rattle snakes and copperheads are pretty common but not aggressive (unless pressured, surprised) but get on the creek and a cottonmouth will come to the boat. Culverts under driveways, if cleaning around them with seasonal or active creeks are homes to cottonmouths. I have picked up a scrap piece of tarp to find a copperhead laying, coiled.

I've encountered 4 non poisonous and two poisonous this spring on my little living area of a 10+ acre wooded lot.

and me, I worry more about the bugs than snakes - ticks, redbugs, and mosquitos

Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 AM

With copperheads being a problem, how does anyone go swimming or water skiing?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM

932 posts, read 1,637,488 times
simple - swim and ski where they aint. and that is cottonmouths (water moccasin)

a snake isn't gonna hang out where humans play, it's a human going into the snakes' habitat, the snakes home where the encounters happen. A farm pond with a dock for fishing, bush hooks (catfishing at night) on a creekbank, etc. are places to be wary, not scared especially.

Last edited by burr; 05-26-2016 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,967,179 times
Some basic general rules on where you find these snakes.

Copperheads are woods, leaves, wood piles, and some tall grasses.
Rattlers are woods, rocks, and more hilly areas (e.g. don't see them in the lowcountry/coastal regions).
Cottonmouths are fresh water lovers and ARE aggressive unlike most snakes.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM

So if we went to the coast where there are beaches etc. Wed be less apt to run into a cotton mouth? What if there was a pond on the property. Would the cotton mouth stay near the water or go further away?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,967,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
So if we went to the coast where there are beaches etc. Wed be less apt to run into a cotton mouth? What if there was a pond on the property. Would the cotton mouth stay near the water or go further away?
Actually more likely to see cottonmouths down our way given all of the low lying swamp areas here (not called the lowcountry for nothing). Cottonmouths do stay near water sources but will range a small distance away. We lived across the street from a pond and one pushed into our screen porch on a really hot day (likely looking to cool off). Then it was trapped because it couldn't get back out since the porch door only swung in. If you're looking at the Aiken area, you'll be relatively snake free as far as venomous snakes go in everyday interactions. You won't encounter a situation like this in Aiken - I swear.

Round here, dogs do get bit by copperheads because they like to snuffle in leaves, etc on the ground and end up surprising the snakes. So, just be careful with your dogs when walking them in the woods. It will be fine. Apparently, snakes HATE the smell of cats and tend to not even be around areas where cats tend to roam. Get a couple of mousers for your horse barn and you'll be fine around your yard/barn area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina