Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually more likely to see cottonmouths down our way given all of the low lying swamp areas here (not called the lowcountry for nothing). Cottonmouths do stay near water sources but will range a small distance away. We lived across the street from a pond and one pushed into our screen porch on a really hot day (likely looking to cool off). Then it was trapped because it couldn't get back out since the porch door only swung in. If you're looking at the Aiken area, you'll be relatively snake free as far as venomous snakes go in everyday interactions. You won't encounter a situation like this in Aiken - I swear.

Round here, dogs do get bit by copperheads because they like to snuffle in leaves, etc on the ground and end up surprising the snakes. So, just be careful with your dogs when walking them in the woods. It will be fine. Apparently, snakes HATE the smell of cats and tend to not even be around areas where cats tend to roam. Get a couple of mousers for your horse barn and you'll be fine around your yard/barn area.

sorry, but not true at all, this is where I'm talking about. The midlands, the 'sandhills', StevensCreek, and yes farmponds. Like i said, make your farmpond a people place, not a snake habitat, it may take some encountering but you'll drive them to a more peaceful place if you are persistent - but this is their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM

128 posts, read 102,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
DC, if you don't like snakes, you might want to rethink the South.
The two-legged one are more likely to cause trouble.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
As I've posted a lot, I'm not a fan of snakes, my husband even less so. I was thinking: is there people who are experts with snakes that can go to homes and help snake proof your place? Like check for areas where a snake can sneak into your house, how to have shrubs and plants and discourage snakes from living in them?

Thanks!
There are various pointers to be found on say California government sites and other sites about how to avoid snake encounters. Say you have a wood pile or a pile of stones, snakes might like to hide in the wood pile or in other dark places. So you might not want to go reaching your hands into dark holes or piles of stones. Of course, if you put such things inside of sheds and make a point to NOT have any small holes or the like and say make sure the shed door is raised so you have to walk up four steps and then walk back down, you might reduce the likelihood snakes will be able to get into the shed. Contrast with a shed door that is accidentally left open at ground level with one 3 feet off the ground accidentally left open.

Consider stone walls all around your property or gabion type fencing with super small mesh that large snakes cannot get through. And those same walls having gates don't have flaps or small clearances that don't allow for snakes to get under the gate.

Of course, some snakes might travel by trees. There are old stories of snakes that can FLY but I'll spare you those for now.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwit...deterring.html

Quote:
Deterring unwanted snakes Unwanted snakes, especially common garter snakes, may appear in the spring basking on your patio or front steps. Where did they come from?
Often, they've been hiding (or overwintering) in spaces behind or under concrete steps or patios. They gain entry through cracks or holes in the house foundation. These spaces provide warm (above freezing) places near or in the foundation wall for a snake to spend the winter. When spring returns, the snakes reappear outside.
Seal the cracks
Deter snakes from overwintering by sealing the cracks between the house and stoop or patio and filling holes or cracks in the foundation. If the cracks are not readily located, an energy audit company might be a source of help. These companies have specialized equipment to check for air leaks, which may indicate entrances for snakes. Most snakes can fit through a 1/2-inch-wide crack.
Fill cracks during the summer when snakes are not around, using tuck-pointing, expandable caulking, or other standard repair techniques. If cracks are filled while snakes are in the foundation, they may be forced to enter the house or die in the foundation and cause odor problems.
Eliminate their food source - Mice
Snakes may also appear in basements or garages. They may be looking for a place to overwinter, or may be searching for food -- specifically mice. By eradicating rodents from your home or garage, you will discourage hungry snakes from entering.
Mice can be controlled by removing their food sources, nesting sites, or by trapping them. Store dog food, birdseed, etc., in metal garbage cans with tight fitting lids, remove woodpiles stacked adjacent to or in the house or garage, and seal up cracks to prevent entry.
If using bird feeders around your home, try moving them further away to deter rodents that are attracted to fallen seed.
Landscaping
Certain types of landscaping may be appealing to snakes. Avoid using damp mulch or large stones; try smaller pebble or river-rock instead. Excessive watering of your lawn or garden may also attract prey items (worms, slugs, or frogs) that some species of snake feed on. Keep grass short throughout the yard. The larger the mowed area, the lower the chance of having snakes near the house. Short grass also makes it easier to see a snake in your yard.
Remove hiding spots
Snakes seek out yards that provide cover for both them and their prey. The easiest way to discourage snakes is to remove these hiding spots. Move any debris in which rodents might reside away from human-use areas. Trim shrubs and trees to create a space of at least 6 inches between the ground and the first branches.
Fencing
The only way to absolutely keep snakes out is with fencing. Snake-proof fencing can be made by modifying a normal chain-link, picket, or split-rail fence. Attach 24-inch-high hardware cloth (1/4-inch weave) or aluminum flashing to the outside bottom of the fence. Bury the bottom of the hardware cloth or flashing 2 to 4 inches into the soil. Gates should have the same snake-proofing and be kept closed to be effective.
The fence has to go all the way around the yard. Snakes tend to travel along a fence rather than go over it. If the fence ends or has an opening, the snakes will enter the yard at this point. Fill any mammal burrows that appear near the fence.
If there is no existing fence, aluminum flashing could be used to encircle the yard. The flashing should be 24-inches high and buried 2 to 4 inches into the soil.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
sorry, but not true at all, this is where I'm talking about. The midlands, the 'sandhills', StevensCreek, and yes farmponds. Like i said, make your farmpond a people place, not a snake habitat, it may take some encountering but you'll drive them to a more peaceful place if you are persistent - but this is their home.
Yeah, like I said fresh water - they're an issue. But the coastal region is where you'll find a MUCH larger snake population than other areas of the state on an everyday basis. We lived for years in the upstate - never saw one snake - even when we lived out in the woods. Down here? I see plenty and have seen plenty. Doesn't bother me but there is a much greater likelihood of encountering snakes down here in the lowcountry. That's all I meant.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
Down here, it's a lot mo feasible to learn to live with 'em and just be aware. Just last year, a kid (4or5) got bit on the big toe at a ClarkHillReservoir (halfhour from me and a great spot if yer talking about swimming and skiing) camp ground, at the campsite when he stepped on a copperhead. He was wearing flipflops.

He survived, hopefully his mama learned a lesson.

and this is not the upstate, where it MAY be a little different.

OK, to tie this up (for me anyhow), all I'm saying is to be aware and maybe a little respectful and we can all live together. I'm not saying it's not safe to camp at ClarkHill,, I have seen six this spring and that's plenty for me (but it's early), and the bugs scare me way more than the snakes; I'm ate up right now from working out in the woods.

Last edited by burr; 05-26-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 PM

496 posts, read 466,979 times
And what would consider a small hole? An inch, 1/2"?

Don't snakes like rock walls? They do here that's for sure.

Noted: don't walk underneath a tree. Got it. Lol

Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Down here, it's a lot mo feasible to learn to live with 'em and just be aware. Just last year, a kid (4or5) got bit on the big toe at a ClarkHillReservoir (halfhour from me and a great spot if yer talking about swimming and skiing) camp ground, at the campsite when he stepped on a copperhead. He was wearing flipflops.

He survived, hopefully his mama learned a lesson.

and this is not the upstate, where it MAY be a little different.

OK, to tie this up (for me anyhow), all I'm saying is to be aware and maybe a little respectful and we can all live together. I'm not saying it's not safe to camp at ClarkHill,, I have seen six this spring and that's plenty for me (but it's early), and the bugs scare me way more than the snakes; I'm ate up right now from working out in the woods.
That's another thing: dress appropriately. Cowboy boots were good for protecting against snakebites. Another thing is keeping some gauze, baking soda or activated charcoal and water handy. Good for drawing out the toxins.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:57 PM

496 posts, read 466,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
That's another thing: dress appropriately. Cowboy boots were good for protecting against snakebites. Another thing is keeping some gauze, baking soda or activated charcoal and water handy. Good for drawing out the toxins.
Really? Or is it a joke?

Old 05-29-2016, 01:15 PM

27 posts, read 31,996 times
mothballs around foundation of home . end of problem. dont waste your money on snake oil

Old 06-03-2016, 07:59 AM

115 posts, read 325,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
As I've posted a lot, I'm not a fan of snakes, my husband even less so. I was thinking: is there people who are experts with snakes that can go to homes and help snake proof your place? Like check for areas where a snake can sneak into your house, how to have shrubs and plants and discourage snakes from living in them?

Thanks!
I lived in Beaufort for 3 years. We had poisonous snakes around us ( I saw two cottonmouths), and a neighbors dog was killed by a copperhead. Be careful with your pets at night. You can usually see snakes from March til late October.
There are people here that believe moth balls or turpentine around the perimeter of your property will keep poisonous snakes away. Doubt it. But Walmart will be sold out of these items every March...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina