Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

It's not just manufacturing - it's hard to find qualified white collar workers in South Carolina, too. It takes a long time for me to find qualified applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 02:03 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They are if that's what the incentives agreement states.
That's the first thing that came to my mind. South Carolina has recieved a majority of these businesses because they were willing to throw away millions in taxes a pop. Shouldn't as part of that deal be that at least 70% of the work force lives in state or within 30 miles its location. That is unless of course these 'outsiders' relocate to the state. I feel fairly certain that a plant in Greenville doesn't have workers who regularly commute from California. So you could look at it as both bringing jobs to SC and increasing the population as hundreds move there at a time every time a plant opens/relocates.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can already tell you that South Carolinians that get bachelors degrees in STEM fields are by and large not looking at manufacturing.
Exactly. This isn't Germany, where chief executives of industry have manufacturing and engineering backgrounds, where they actually have pride in making things.

This is the U.S., where MBA's run the show, and manufacturing plants have about a 30 or 40 year lifespan before all the work is shipped somewhere else.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
My personal observations from living in this state for 11 years and being involved with hiring at a large company:

1.) Everybody wants a job but not everybody wants to work. The work ethic sucks in this state. I have family that runs construction crews and it's a huge struggle to get people to work. The only ones that seem to consistently want to work reliably are the illegals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It's not just manufacturing - it's hard to find qualified white collar workers in South Carolina, too. It takes a long time for me to find qualified applicants.

Good people are out there, you just have to offer high enough compensation to attract them.

The flip side of y'all's statement is also true -- every employer wants good workers, but only at whatever wage rate they're willing to pay.

I see the same thing in software, where I work. Everybody wants "World Class" developers -- well, the vast majority can't afford that. World-class developers cost about half a million per year. They're paying $60k-120k, which is "market." For that money you get average developers.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
That's the first thing that came to my mind. South Carolina has recieved a majority of these businesses because they were willing to throw away millions in taxes a pop. Shouldn't as part of that deal be that at least 70% of the work force lives in state or within 30 miles its location. That is unless of course these 'outsiders' relocate to the state. I feel fairly certain that a plant in Greenville doesn't have workers who regularly commute from California. So you could look at it as both bringing jobs to SC and increasing the population as hundreds move there at a time every time a plant opens/relocates.
Yeah, it's something of a double-edged sword and I think this may even challenge the prevailing narrative of retirees primarily fueling the state's growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Exactly. This isn't Germany, where chief executives of industry have manufacturing and engineering backgrounds, where they actually have pride in making things.

This is the U.S., where MBA's run the show, and manufacturing plants have about a 30 or 40 year lifespan before all the work is shipped somewhere else.
The German model is one that SC should seek to emulate; the partnership between academia and industry there is very impressive and obviously effective and efficient.

Also agree with you about wages when it comes to white-collar workers in SC, especially with Charlotte, Atlanta, and the Triangle in such close proximity that offer higher wages and a decent cost of living for their sizes.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Tax incentives don't last forever and overtime the companies pay taxes, tax revenue that the state does not get if the companies do not locate here.

Our state does have partnerships between academia and industry. That is what the CU-ICAR thing is all about, as well as the CU advanced materials research park in pendleton, the CU genetics laboratory that works with the Greenwood Genetics center in Greenwood, and the CU biomedical engineering research group that works in Greenville Hospital.

There are tons of white collar jobs in SC. I don't understand the motivation to compare the state to NC and GA. I thnk that you have to consider how many applicatons per job. Charlotte, Raleigh, Atl have more jobs, but that doesn't mean it is easy to get those jobs. Only one person after out of 10's or 100's of people that apply get an individual job.

There are people in Raleigh, ATL, Charlotte that leave those cities to go work elsewhere. It not like everybody who grows up in those metroes obtains the job they want in those metroes.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Our state does have partnerships between academia and industry. That is what the CU-ICAR thing is all about, as well as the CU advanced materials research park in pendleton, the CU genetics laboratory that works with the Greenwood Genetics center in Greenwood, and the CU biomedical engineering research group that works in Greenville Hospital.
Sure, and it's a good start but it's nothing at all like the German model. https://www.asme.org/engineering-top...-germany-do-it

Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 AM

It is not a 'good start', and it is not relative to Germany. There are countless business-university partnerships in this state that you don't know anything about. It is not some kind of new thing in the state.

Your premise is the way Germany does something is the best way.

Do you have a background in manufacturing? You talk about manufacturing in SC a lot on this forum but I don't get the impression that you work in manufacturing with your comments about STEM, etc. You seem to have a dim view of careers in manufacturing and believe that every job in manufacturing is 'low skill' and none of them require a college education. I think people who work at GE, Kemet, AVX, etc would be surprised to hear that.

You've posted numerous times on the SC forum that Raleigh, Charlotte, ATL job markets are superior to SC, and they have more non-manufacturing jobs, so why not go post on those forums. What is the motivation for critiquing SC's job scene. I don't get it. Why would a person who does not live in SC and does not work in manufacturing be talking about manufacturing in SC all the time on this forum. I would be appreciative if you explain why you do it. I don't see how you can be an expert on it.

NC's manufacturing sector is actually a larger percentage of their GDP than SC's but I don't think you are talking about manufacturing in NC on that forum. Just b/c NC has a large banking sector in Charlotte and a large R&D sector in raleigh doesn't mean there isn't a lot of manufacturing going on there.

GA has a lot of manufacturing, it probably has more manufacturers than SC given it is a larger state. Didn't you used to live in Atlanta? Do you talk about GA manufacturing?

SC has a large healthcare sector, engineering/architecture sector, education sector, business/professional services sector, tourism/hospitality sector, agricultural/forestry etc but you make it seem like the state is nothing but manufacturing jobs. You don't ever talk about these other sectors.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-20-2016 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
It is not a 'good start', and it is not relative to Germany. There are countless business-university partnerships in this state that you don't know anything about. It is not some kind of new thing in the state.

Your premise is the way Germany does something is the best way.

Do you have a background in manufacturing? You talk about manufacturing in SC a lot on this forum but I don't get the impression that you work in manufacturing with your comments about STEM, etc. You seem to have a dim view of careers in manufacturing and believe that every job in manufacturing is 'low skill' and none of them require a college education. I think people who work at GE, Kemet, AVX, etc would be surprised to hear that.

You've posted numerous times on the SC forum that Raleigh, Charlotte, ATL job markets are superior to SC, and they have more non-manufacturing jobs, so why not go post on those forums. What is the motivation for critiquing SC's job scene. I don't get it. Why would a person who does not live in SC and does not work in manufacturing be talking about manufacturing in SC all the time on this forum. I would be appreciative if you explain why you do it. I don't see how you can be an expert on it.

NC's manufacturing sector is actually a larger percentage of their GDP than SC's but I don't think you are talking about manufacturing in NC on that forum. Just b/c NC has a large banking sector in Charlotte and a large R&D sector in raleigh doesn't mean there isn't a lot of manufacturing going on there.

GA has a lot of manufacturing, it probably has more manufacturers than SC given it is a larger state. Didn't you used to live in Atlanta? Do you talk about GA manufacturing?

SC has a large healthcare sector, engineering/architecture sector, education sector, business/professional services sector, tourism/hospitality sector, agricultural/forestry etc but you make it seem like the state is nothing but manufacturing jobs. You don't ever talk about these other sectors.
As usual, you're way off base in many of your assessments and I don't owe you any kind of explanation whatsoever. You really need to learn to stop taking things personally and making them personal; it's beyond annoying. Everyone else that has commented in this thread has stayed on topic, but you're the only one getting personal. You ought to be glad you haven't been banned for the umpteenth time already, so you ought to tread lightly sir.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:45 AM

I'm not getting personal with you.

I'm asking why you are always grading our state and saying we need to improve in x, y and z. If you are going to grade our state and talking about manufacturing, our schools, our leaders, I think it is fair to ask about your background. What is your expertise in making these statements. Just last week, you were grading us on our obesity levels, and you don't even live here and you aren't our physician.

Nobody knows what state you live in. I am assumming there are rooms for improvement in your state, do you talk about your state on these forums?

You always compare SC negatively to other states on the SC forum. This isn't the City vs City forum. SC is not Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta. Everybody understands that. Not every city is going to have a large banking sector like Charloote or a large biotech research park like Raleigh. Most cities don't so why the need to compare SC to those cities.

You stated there is no university-business collaboration or we only have a 'good start', that is not even close to being true. I may list all the collaboration to prove the point, my short list wasn't even scratching the service.

There is nobody else on these forums that posts so much on a state forum if they don't live in that state. It is like SC is in your crosshairs. It is like SC does not measure up to your standards.

I would never go on another state forum and start talking about what that state needs to improve on. It seems like you need to have some skin in the game and be a resident of that state, and if you are talking about manufacturing, be working in that industry.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-20-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina