Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 11:10 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

http://www.ajc.com/news/travel/5-des...ium=social&utm

Here is the portion about Greenville:

Greenville
City planners needing inspiration for how to revitalize a downtown need look no further than Greenville.
In the early 1970s, city leaders began thinking about what downtown should look like in 40 years. This led to the transformation of Main Street. What was once a nondescript four-lane thoroughfare lined with vacant buildings is now a two-lane street shaded by trees, with not a vacant storefront in sight. A highway bridge was removed, revealing the natural beauty of Reedy Falls. A pedestrian bridge was constructed and green space developed around the tumbling cascade of water.
Greenville History Tours ($12-$45) offers both driving and walking tours that detail the city’s transformation while pointing out architectural highlights. Guide John Nolan also takes visitors on culinary tours, where they can sample the fare at many of Greenville’s top restaurants. 864-567-3940, greenvillehistorytours.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Aiken, Fort Sumter (Charleston), a drive through northern Greenville County, and the Oconee Station National Historic Site (Oconee County) are the other sites recommended in the article.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Thank you, CK.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:54 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
I can speak about a couple of those places.

Cherokee Foothills is one of my favorite drives in the state. When my Dad lived in Campobello, we'd go to Landrum for lunch. Neat little town that reinvented itself after textiles died. If you come off I-26 and head west on 11, it's almost all beautiful. But especially from Greenville and west. Cherokee foothills National Scenic Byway | Cherokee Foothills National Scenic Byway | Greenville, SC

On the flip side, I'd much prefer Fort Moultrie over Fort Sumter any day. I now that Sumter is much better known, but the location of Moutrie is much better.

I need to visit Aiken. I've been in the area for work, but never spent time looking around.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I need to visit Aiken. I've been in the area for work, but never spent time looking around.
Aiken is nice. If I am able to take a day trip, that is where I am going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina