U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,531 posts, read 3,936,834 times
Reputation: 2837

Advertisements

ok i am not going to engage you any more. i think most ppl agree with me on this issue, and the important thing isn't the accreditation, it is giving 12 mil of tax payer money to a university, and one that has been bad with money.

12 mil is a not a drop in the bucket. few people will agree with that assertion. it isn't a relative thing. most ppl will never earn 12 mil in their live or even a signifcant fraction of it.

adios. i think your post count will go down exponentially once i stop talking to you. u basically turn any topic that i start or post on into a contentious thing. i feel sick when i see your screenname.

you even searched my screenname to find my posts on other topics. you came over the Greenville forum to the best of the Upstate topic that I started to insult me for seeing an orthodontist, which was off topic and you never posted once about the topic, which would be difficult given you don't live in Greenville.

what's next, are you going to ridicule people for going to the dentist or a physician's office, or taking theie car to a mechanic.

you've got to be hostile for no reason. and you keep repeating the same things that I already responded to. they need the 12 mil writeoff to 'restore' their accreditation. it is not a 'full' accreditation as the article indicates. i don't see a partial accredidation has any different from no accreditation. Obvously many students and their parents do not as well if their enrollment dropped off big time.

it is not a good idea as far as getting a job to go to a university that was or is on probation, which is on top of the school not being ranked.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-10-2016 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 AM
 
1,372 posts, read 1,257,952 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok i am not going to engage you any more. i think most ppl agree with me on this issue, and the important thing isn't the accreditation, it is giving 12 mil of tax payer money to a university, and one that has been bad with money.

12 mil is a not a drop in the bucket. few people will agree with that assertion. it isn't a relative thing. most ppl will never earn 12 mil in their live or even a signifcant fraction of it.

adios. i think your post count will go down exponentially once i stop talking to you. u basically turn any topic that i start or post on into a contentious thing. i feel sick when i see your screenname.

you even searched my screenname to find my posts on other topics. you came over the Greenville forum to the best of the Upstate topic that I started to insult me for seeing an orthodontist, which was off topic and you never posted once about the topic, which would be difficult given you don't live in Greenville.

what's next, are you going to ridicule people for going to the dentist or a physician's office, or taking theie car to a mechanic.

you've got to be hostile for no reason. and you keep repeating the same things that I already responded to. they need the 12 mil writeoff to 'restore' their accreditation. it is not a 'full' accreditation as the article indicates. i don't see a partial accredidation has any different from no accreditation. Obvously many students and their parents do not as well if their enrollment dropped off big time.

it is not a good idea as far as getting a job to go to a university that was or is on probation, which is on top of the school not being ranked.
If you knewanything you would know their enrollment has gone up the last two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,531 posts, read 3,936,834 times
Reputation: 2837
ok so the 12 mil debt writeoff is no big deal b/c enrollment went up some.

i pay taxes to the state and i have an invested interest in hw the money is spent. i've seen you complain about the roads a lot , do you believe 12 mil is a 'drop in the bucket' and could not improve the roads much?

i'm done on this topic. i do think this is probably the worst waste of money in state history. that is why i posted it. i am only posting it for people who care about tax dollars being wasted.

what is odd is I see people say SC does not collect enough tax revenue and basically cannot pay for anything, yet 12 mil is only a drop in the bucket? if 12 mil is a drop in the bucket then the state has a lot more money than some people say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 AM
 
1,372 posts, read 1,257,952 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok so the 12 mil debt writeoff is no big deal b/c enrollment went up some.

i pay taxes to the state and i have an invested interest in hw the money is spent. i've seen you complain about the roads a lot , do you believe 12 mil is a 'drop in the bucket' and could not improve the roads much?

i'm done on this topic. i do think this is probably the worst waste of money in state history. that is why i posted it. i am only posting it for people who care about tax dollars being wasted.

what is odd is I see people say SC does not collect enough tax revenue and basically cannot pay for anything, yet 12 mil is only a drop in the bucket? if 12 mil is a drop in the bucket then the state has a lot more money than some people say.
Why would you give a college a loan in the first place if you aren't providing enough money anyway to the university. I'll give u that they should not be where they are financially but they are slowly getting better. There's plenty of money that gets wasted quite often in the state and things that aren't prioritized properly. But if $12 mil is your big stickler for 'wasting money' is a public college that provides wealth and knowledge to the world. If this were Clemson I don't think you would've had a problem and would have praised the state for forgiving a loan. You may not agree with the university or the state for what it does but I promise you the state would've never let USC or Clemson shut down if they had a huge financial issue. They'd probably hand money like you can find sand at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 AM
 
27 posts, read 19,387 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I like the idea of keeping SCSU open, but do acknowledge that it's becoming an expensive proposition. Even for fiscally conservative people, the idea of funding education is a good one. Education is a common good issue and improves the state as a whole. And, in reality, $12 mil seems like a lot of money, the state as a whole spends 23% of the $21 Billion budget on higher education. So, the $12 million is a drop in the bucket.

SCSU has taken very strong action to fix their spending issues. And, if they can't reign in expenses, and start functioning within a budget, then it may be time to shut the school down.

Finally, they are accredited or they are not. Currently, they are accredited. This is not due to anything the school has done with regard to education, but an inability to raise enough money.
Where can i get my debt forgiven ? your nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,531 posts, read 3,936,834 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Why would you give a college a loan in the first place if you aren't providing enough money anyway to the university. I'll give u that they should not be where they are financially but they are slowly getting better. There's plenty of money that gets wasted quite often in the state and things that aren't prioritized properly. But if $12 mil is your big stickler for 'wasting money' is a public college that provides wealth and knowledge to the world. If this were Clemson I don't think you would've had a problem and would have praised the state for forgiving a loan. You may not agree with the university or the state for what it does but I promise you the state would've never let USC or Clemson shut down if they had a huge financial issue. They'd probably hand money like you can find sand at the beach.
i think all universiteis should be private, which would reduce tuition because universities would not waste so much money because they would not be getting subsidies and because they would truly be competing wth each other to get students. Universities are businesses, and it is corporate welaqre to give them money.

So i would have a problem with forgivieness of loans to CU and USC.

I dono't think Clemson or USC would ever be loaned 18 million dollars. That was on top of the money that was given to SCSU simply for being a public university.

they needed the loans because they weren't managing their money. they are not entitled to any money. the state congress decides how much they receive, and it isn't realistic to think they aren't receiving a ton of non-loan money because many politicians in the state are pushing for it, given it is the only public HBC.

it isn't right to waste millions of taxpayer's money for a college that they don't attend or their kids don't attend. if SCSU can't manage their money even with public funding, they should go out of business. There are other colleges can attend and we can boost the enrollment at those colleges that can manage ther money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 11:05 AM
 
1,372 posts, read 1,257,952 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i think all universiteis should be private, which would reduce tuition because universities would not waste so much money because they would not be getting subsidies and because they would truly be competing wth each other to get students. Universities are businesses, and it is corporate welaqre to give them money.

So i would have a problem with forgivieness of loans to CU and USC.

I dono't think Clemson or USC would ever be loaned 18 million dollars. That was on top of the money that was given to SCSU simply for being a public university.

they needed the loans because they weren't managing their money. they are not entitled to any money. the state congress decides how much they receive, and it isn't realistic to think they aren't receiving a ton of non-loan money because many politicians in the state are pushing for it, given it is the only public HBC.

it isn't right to waste millions of taxpayer's money for a college that they don't attend or their kids don't attend. if SCSU can't manage their money even with public funding, they should go out of business. There are other colleges can attend and we can boost the enrollment at those colleges that can manage ther money.
It isn't right to waste money of taxpayers for colleges they didn't attend or their kids didn't attend. It's not right to waste to taxpayers money on services they don't use. It's not right to waste money on roads they don't use. That argument can be said for anything. Now I don't believed in that philosophy but that's what u sound like. Either way it's done and nothing can be done to rectify your view of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,531 posts, read 3,936,834 times
Reputation: 2837
everybody does use the roads. i''m not against some toll roads, especially in the coast areas with high tourismm

i do support user fees for things like libraries. with a discount or free for poor people

i just said that i want all colleges to be private. so your first statement doesnt make any sense in response to what I said.

if you give money to a college that has grossly mismanaged money, you have essentially rewarded them for that mismanagment. none of the other colleges that have managed their money have received 12 mil, on top of the standard funding they get for being public.

i think i've talked about this topic enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 12:45 PM
 
6,151 posts, read 9,359,959 times
Reputation: 1784
The other small piece of info here is what happens to SCSU campus if it were to close? Could it be sold off? The economic impact of SCSU on Orangeburg and thus that portion of the state is not small...is it worth 12 million? Ask the Mayor/City Council of Orangeburg, Orangeburg County Council, or the state reps from that area. Unless Claflin took over the campus or USC (which may not have an interest so close to their main Campus) its loss would be the equivalent of a major industry moving out of any City/Town in the State..All of those jobs are linked to workers and visitors that do pay taxes and presumably eat/play in and around Orangeburg and thus pay more than one form of tax to local governments... Again.. it doesn't excuse what they are doing... they need to do a better job of managing their finances for sure.. but close or not to close it a harder question especially if the state holds the note on whether or not to do it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 AM
 
3,337 posts, read 4,308,059 times
Reputation: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Why would you give a college a loan in the first place if you aren't providing enough money anyway to the university. I'll give u that they should not be where they are financially but they are slowly getting better. There's plenty of money that gets wasted quite often in the state and things that aren't prioritized properly. But if $12 mil is your big stickler for 'wasting money' is a public college that provides wealth and knowledge to the world. If this were Clemson I don't think you would've had a problem and would have praised the state for forgiving a loan. You may not agree with the university or the state for what it does but I promise you the state would've never let USC or Clemson shut down if they had a huge financial issue. They'd probably hand money like you can find sand at the beach.

Actually- SC underfunds all its universities at a similar percentage of budget level. SC State has simply proven to be the absolute worst in terms of accountability and leadership. When Clemson, USC, Coastal, CofC & the lot go after state $ they have to validate where it is spent, how it will impact the institution, what the long term costs will be and that it is appropriate to the level of the institution & does not duplicate services with another program. The idea that SC State is being picked on is simply incorrect.


And in terms of road projects $12 million sadly is a drop in the bucket. We'd probably need to spend another $4 or $5 billion to get the state in order and prepare for all that is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top