Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:09 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

i'm saying most of the crime in Florence is near the downtown area, and even including the high crime area, Florence county only had 65 percent of the crime as Lexington County, which doeesn't include downtown Columbia.

The 29501 zip code is a wide area and includes a lot more than west Florence. It includes part of north Florence area, Wilson high school area around Quinby. it doesn't appear you know what the boundaries are of west Florence. the closer you get to Irby Street, the more crime. west Florence is to the east of Irby street a good ways.

Richland County includes party of Irmo and out near Chapin and Florence county only had 19 percent of the crime in Richland County.

Irmo isnt safer, it is near high crime areas around Broad River road and st. andrews area, and most people who live in Irmo are not just going to stay in Irmo, they will be in downtown Columbia and other areas of the metro.

More people in an area means a higher number of criminals, and a higher population density means more interaction with criminals.

i don't think most people who are familiar with both west Florence and the Irmo area will agree with you that Irmo is safer. I don't believe you have ever lived in the hoffmeyer road, pineneedles road, etc area of Florence. I don't understand why it is so important for you to compare Irmo to west Florence. you could have just talked about Columbia schools and crime.

you have not proven that the teachers at Irmo high schools are better as I've pointed out numerous times, and the point of sending kids to a school is because that is where the teachers are. the academic performance of other students at the school is irrelevant if the teachers are fine and a motivated student can learn, and even pass AP exams and get college credit. you want to talk about anything but the teachers, which doesn't make any sense to me.

as i've pointed out, you indirectly agree with my point it is about teachers when I apply your logic about what a good school is to colleges.. you are inconsistent on this.

i've also pointed out that 4 elementary schools in west Florence which obviously serve smaller areas than the high school have school scores of 10, 9, 8, and 7. Dutch Fork High only has a 7. W and S Florence both have a 5, which indicates that the poorer areas are outside of the west Florence area.

i think it is a good thing for kids to go a school where there are students from every socioeconomic backgrounds but that is real life.

there is no point in continuing this discussion because you keep repeating the same thing and i end up repeating the same responses.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-27-2016 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i'm saying most of the crime in Florence is near the downtown area, and even including the high crime area, Florence county only had 65 percent of the crime as Lexington County, which doeesn't include downtown Columbia.

The 29501 zip code is a wide area and includes a lot more than west Florence. It includes part of north Florence area, Wilson high school area around Quinby. it doesn't appear you know what the boundaries are of west Florence. the closer you get to Irby Street, the more crime. west Florence is to the east of Irby street a good ways.

Richland County includes party of Irmo and out near Chapin and Florence county only had 19 percent of the crime in Richland County.

Irmo isnt safer, it is near high crime areas around Broad River road and st. andrews area, and most people who live in Irmo are not just going to stay in Irmo, they will be in downtown Columbia and other areas of the metro.

More people in an area means a higher number of criminals, and a higher population density means more interaction with criminals.

i don't think most people who are familiar with both west Florence and the Irmo area will agree with you that Irmo is safer. I don't believe you have ever lived in the hoffmeyer road, pineneedles road, etc area of Florence. I don't understand why it is so important for you to compare Irmo to west Florence. you could have just talked about Columbia schools and crime.

you have not proven that the teachers at Irmo high schools are better as I've pointed out numerous times, and the point of sending kids to a school is because that is where the teachers are. the academic performance of other students at the school is irrelevant if the teachers are fine and a motivated student can learn, and even pass AP exams and get college credit. you want to talk about anything but the teachers, which doesn't make any sense to me.

as i've pointed out, you indirectly agree with my point it is about teachers when I apply your logic about what a good school is to colleges.. you are inconsistent on this.

i've also pointed out that 4 elementary schools in west Florence which obviously serve smaller areas than the high school have school scores of 10, 9, 8, and 7. Dutch Fork High only has a 7. W and S Florence both have a 5, which indicates that the poorer areas are outside of the west Florence area.

i think it is a good thing for kids to go a school where there are students from every socioeconomic backgrounds but that is real life.

there is no point in continuing this discussion because you keep repeating the same thing and i end up repeating the same responses.
Irmo is 6.2 miles from the St. Andrews Rd/Broad River Rd intersection or where Broad River starts to get bad, about twice the distance between Windsor Forest and the bad parts of Darlington Street and two miles further apart than Windsor Forest and the Irby St corridor you speak of.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Irmo High School has a 3 school score which means it is pulling a lot of students from poor areas with high crime by your own definition. The irmo elementary school is a 7, which makes it lower than 3 west Florence elementary schools and tied with another.

there isn't any crime going on in Windsor Forest or any other neighborhood on Hoffmeyer. Magnolia Mall is not near any neighborhoods, neither is the area around Florence Mall. You are not going to be a victim of a crime playing golf at Florence Country Club and other country clubs. Timrod Park is going to be safe during the day especially if you stick to the tennis courts and playground area. The CIvic Center and movie theatre area is not unsafe. i think people will be ok walking from the parking lot to the Florence library. These are the main places that west Florence people go.

there is a newish elementary school close to Darlington Street, as well as the new snazzy tennis center. it seems odd that they would build these near a high crime area.

your premise seems to be that people close to Irby street are driving or walking out to Windsor Forest to commit acts of crime. it makes no sense. It is a good 4 miles to any area that I would consider high crime. maybe they should install a moat between downtown and hoffmeyer.

people can live much further out than Windsor Forest if they need a greater distance from the downtown area to feel safe but obviously a lot of people think it is safe enough given it is a popular neighborhood for people with kids. they actually have skin in the game and you don't live there. The oakdale area is 8 miles or so from the high crime areas, on the other side of I-95.

your premise seems to be people who live in Irmo never leave Irmo.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Irmo High School has a 3 school score which means it is pulling a lot of students from poor areas with high crime by your own definition. The irmo elementary school is a 7, which makes it lower than 3 west Florence elementary schools and tied with another.

there isn't any crime going on in Windsor Forest or any other neighborhood on Hoffmeyer. Magnolia Mall is not near any neighborhoods, neither is the area around Florence Mall. You are not going to be a victim of a crime playing golf at Florence Country Club and other country clubs. Timrod Park is going to be safe during the day especially if you stick to the tennis courts and playground area. The CIvic Center and movie theatre area is not unsafe. i think people will be ok walking from the parking lot to the Florence library. These are the main places that west Florence people go.

there is a newish elementary school close to Darlington Street, as well as the new snazzy tennis center. it seems odd that they would build these near a high crime area.

your premise seems to be that people close to Irby street are driving or walking out to Windsor Forest to commit acts of crime. it makes no sense. It is a good 4 miles to any area that I would consider high crime. maybe they should install a moat between downtown and hoffmeyer.

people can live much further out than Windsor Forest if they need a greater distance from the downtown area to feel safe but obviously a lot of people think it is safe enough given it is a popular neighborhood for people with kids. they actually have skin in the game and you don't live there. The oakdale area is 8 miles or so from the high crime areas, on the other side of I-95.

your premise seems to be people who live in Irmo never leave Irmo.
I think you fail to understand or want to understand how close the areas of Irby St and downtown are to WF and also fail to understand that West Florence is more than just the Country Club and Windsor Forest. Just every high end neighborhood in Irmo, those neighborhoods are not high crime areas. But, they are indeed closer to high crime areas. No one is saying you'll get mugged playing golf at the country club, of course you wont, just like no one is getting mugged playing golf in Irmo.

Also, as I stated earlier that you apparently missed, Irmo HS is the worst of the high schools in that district and is very similar to WF because it takes kids from the Seven Oaks area. I never touted Irmo as superior to WF and pointed out they are very similar (also side note, Irmo's zoning does not take the Broad River kids, thats Columbia High, Irmo takes the Seven Oaks kids).

Furthermore, I never had the premise that people from Irmo don't leave Irmo, not sure where you got that, but if you would like to use this as somehow relevant, do you think WF people never leave WF? Or, better yet, do you think people from Downtown Florence, Irby St, etc. dont come to WF for alot of what they do? If your on Darlington St. and need to get groceries, youll go somewhere in WF.

Considering I lived there for five years since the last time you even visited I would say I have a pretty good grasp on boundaries and the way of life in Florence.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 AM

I lived in west Florence for 18-20 years. you went to a college 10 miles to the EAST of Florence. you also said you lived around Timrod which does have some reputation for crime although I don't think it is a big deal. that is close to downtown and not west Florence.

i don't see how you can say you are a bigger expert on west Florence. I aslo went to the schools that you have been reviewing on here but never attended.

Florence has had modest growth since I let and the growth has come from middle class peole moving in. so it makes no sense to say it less safe now. I also talk to friends i grew up with on a regular basis who still live there including off Hoffmeyer road. They never talk about all the crime that you say exists.

again,, i''ve made this point numerous times, good schools /bad schools should be based on the teachers. you keep talking about student body stats as though the student body applies as one to colleges and jobs. you don't even talk about teachers but that the reason people send kids to school. that is where the teachers are. you keep repeating the same thing about the student body stats which is not a response to my response to it.

I've also pointed out west Florence has 4 elmentary schools with 10, 9, 8, and 7 school score respectively. Elementary schools account for 50 percent of the time students spend in school. you've ignored this. Dutch Fork High has a 7, Chapin has a 6, and you touted these schools.

it is appears you think a good school is simply one that is segregated by class of the parents.

i don't think downtown Florence is a major destination for most people in west Florence. however the police station is right there and it is heavily patrolled.

anyway, i don't understand why a person who does not live in Florence and was never worked there as an adult and is not planning on moving back is so interested in crime levels and schools in west Florence, and comparing it to Columbia/Irmo.

i never heard anybody talk about Darington street when I lived there. you seem fixated on that one street, but the part closet to west Florence isn't an issue. the high crme areas are to the north and east of downtown. my first job in high school was at that Food Lion on Cashua/Darlington and there were never any issues there outside of the occasional drunk person.

it cracks me you are bragging about Irmo but the schools that have the Irmo name has lower school scores, which also means many are from poor areas with higher crime near Irmo.

i believe you said that you lived on Main Street in Columbia, not far from where that USC student was shot and paralzyed, for awhile so it is hard to beleive west Florence crime is something that worries you. west florence is a rural area with a lot of farm land.

anyway, i am done talking to you.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-29-2016 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 04:32 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
Thanks for your post... starting to think I should look in Anderson county too, no more than 20 minutes from downtown Greenville though. They seem to have some good schools. Taxes are even cheaper there, seems like houses are too and one of the houses I saw was less than 15 minutes from downtown Greenville. The suburbs of Greenville seem to be the same distance to the city also so it seems like, what's the drawback?? The same thing with Spartanburg county, although it seems some places are pretty far from Greenville. We travel 35 minutes to our major shopping now. Typically where we go out to eat as well.

I worry Simpsonville might be too built up, my husband really wants a little more land than those subdivisions offer. I do think I'd still like a subdivision, just one that might offer like .4 acres or more (if that's even possible) or if not a house in a subdivision, a house with land and a pool

I have looked at Greer housing online. I will be staying in Greenville in November and I hope to see all of the areas that I have looked at houses online.
A lot depends on the age of your children as to how important the school district is. Greenville County is one big school district but the schools your children go to are based on the area / subdivision you reside, and may not be the one you are closest to. Once you come to middle and high schools the school you are zoned to is important. Riverside school district is very built up due to the good rating for th ehigh school.

The older subdivisiosn offer more acreage but have older homes.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:48 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1976...7i13312!8i6656

The link is to Google map street view on Hoffmeyer Road right in front of Windsor Forest, in Florence. Farmland is right across the street. You can click on the pic and spin it around to see the neighborhood.

West Florence High is right down the road that runs along the edge of the farmland.

If this is a dangerous area, it does not look like it.

Here is link to street view at the Ebenezer and Pine Needles Road intersection,, a major intersection in west Florence. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1762...7i13312!8i6656

Here is a link to streetview of Cashua and Darlington Street intersection. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1991...7i13312!8i6656

this is why it boggles my mind that somebody would assert west Florence is not safe and less safe than a more urban area. It is like living on a farm.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-29-2016 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina