Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
a bad school is defined by bad teachers. the point of school is to get an education and if you say a school is bad, it seems like you are saying the teachers are bad. if the teachers are not bad, why would you recommend to a parent not to send their kids there? The bad students are not teaching the classes.

I went to the highest ranked university in the state, no. 20 or 21 in US News rank and did a challenging major that Francis Marion doesn't have.

to me, it is odd that you would brag about high schools in Columbia area, and say Florence schools don't stack up , if you went to a low ranked college. It seems like you would recommend to parents to go to a college with a high ranking if school scores are important to you.

Keep in mind, you were the one bragging, I don't care where Francis Marion is ranked and i know people who went there and have done well in their occupation. I make fun of the college rankings.

I will stop responding to you. It sounds like the woman is leaning to Greenville and the upstate which is the best choice in my view.
I haven't really talked about high school rankings, more so just test scores and graduation rates. I dont really consider those rankings, i'm not much one for those, I like to just look at the raw data and compare and contrast that way rather than being a rankings slave.

It must be a good thing I dont look at the rankings because I got a great undergrad education at FMU that continues to serve me well in my career and while working on my master's at Clemson so Id say it worked out!

But curious what college that is you went to because I didn't see a top in the state ranking, nor a college from SC ranked 21-22 except in the regional schools of the south there was one but its far from the best school in the state and far from being a superior to FMU so I am assuming its not the college in Hartsville and I must have overlooked another SC school on the list!

Last edited by ColaClemsonFan11; 06-20-2016 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Sorry OP, we got a little off topic here!

Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Clemson is a top 20, 21 public university.

The K-12 rankings, school schools are directly related to the raw data, test scores, GPAs, SAT scores, dropout percentage, etc. They are a convenient way to express the raw data and do a quick comparison.

The raw data doesn't tell you anything about quality of the teachers. You've said that it doesn't mean the teachers are bad if the raw data is not as good. So why talk about the raw data if it doesn't tell you anything about the teachers. The teachers are the school.

You don't seem to apply your logic about raw data regarding K-12 to colleges. If I say FMU doesn't stack up to other colleges based on raw data, i think that bothers you. I wouldn't say it doesn't stack up to other colleges because I don't know anything about the professors. I am being consistent.

It is interesting that you are looking up the raw data on K-12 schools in a city that you don't live in and not planning to move to, in response to me saying the schools are fine in the city.

My view is if a person prefers a larger city, then Columbia is obviously a better option. If a person prefers less traffic, and being closer to the beach, then Florence is better option. I don't think Columbia has an advantage in schools or crime, and i think the burbs of Florence are safer because there is less population and population density. Much of the reason the west and south suburbs grew is they are a good distance away from the high crime areas near the downtown area. People generally want to live in safe areas.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-20-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Clemson is a top 20, 21 public university.

The K-12 rankings, school schools are directly related to the raw data, test scores, GPAs, SAT scores, dropout percentage, etc. They are a convenient way to express the raw data and do a quick comparison.

The raw data doesn't tell you anything about quality of the teachers. You've said that it doesn't mean the teachers are bad if the raw data is not as good. So why talk about the raw data if it doesn't tell you anything about the teachers. The teachers are the school.

You don't seem to apply your logic about raw data regarding K-12 to colleges. If I say FMU doesn't stack up to other colleges based on raw data, i think that bothers you. I wouldn't say it doesn't stack up to other colleges because I don't know anything about the professors. I am being consistent.

It is interesting that you are looking up the raw data on K-12 schools in a city that you don't live in and not planning to move to, in response to me saying the schools are fine in the city.

My view is if a person prefers a larger city, then Columbia is obviously a better option. If a person prefers less traffic, and being closer to the beach, then Florence is better option. I don't think Columbia has an advantage in schools or crime, and i think the burbs of Florence are safer because there is less population and population density. Much of the reason the west and south suburbs grew is they are a good distance away from the high crime areas near the downtown area. People generally want to live in safe areas.
Can you provide me with data that FMU does not stack up? I provided data from the Dept of Education, all you provided was just an anecdotal opinion of yours on how you perceive FMU. Show me some information that backs up your logic like I did on the high schools and i'll concede to your point, I have no problem with that, FMU isnt perfect, but show me some data on how it stacks up...and when I say data, I do mean raw numbers not a ranking. Rankings are others opinions and in many cases, just as anecdotal. Show me where FMU students are lagging behind, testing lower, has a higher acceptance rate, lack of programs, poor job placement for grads, etc. and you've got an argument.

Schools like Dutch Fork, Chapin, Lexington, River Bluff have more funding, more programs, and do not have the economically disadvantaged students that you find in WF. Ive been dancing around that point for a while but screw it, thats what it is and you and I both know it. You're dealing with different socioeconomics in Florence than you are in places like Irmo and Lexington and regardless of what you think, it has an effect on the quality of the school, despite how great the teachers are. Its also a major issue of funding, places like Lexington Five can pay teachers more than FSD1, thus being able to easily recruit top teachers. Is it right? No, I think the best teachers in our state need to be in the poorest schools because most of those children dont have the home life support that kids in more affluent parts of the state do. Fortunately, good teachers who feel its a calling will take a pay cut to go to an economically disadvantaged school but because a teacher can only do what he or she can with what little funding they have there so while we do have many great teachers in poorer schools, the lack of programs and funding many times overshadows their hard work.

Now, just to be clear, I am not saying WF is a poor high school, its not, but as we have pointed out, does serve many more economically disadvantaged students and does not have the programs or funding found in the other districts we have been talking about here.

As for your last point here in bold, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I mean to me, West and South Florence are just parts of Florence, not suburbs. Irmo, Simpsonville, Lexington, Mt. P, Fort Mill, those are more along the lines of what I would consider suburbs as well as far from downtown. West Florence High School is less than 4 miles from the FMU Performing Arts Center. Thats like going from Williams Brice Stadium to Main Street in downtown Columbia or Main & Stone in Greenville to The Bristol Apartments, both touting themselves as being in downtown Greenville and not what a suburb is.

Look, we can go back and forth all day but I am really feeling bad that you and I have hi-jacked the OP's thread here. If you want to continue this debate, lets open another thread or DM me and lets get this thread back on topic.

Last edited by ColaClemsonFan11; 06-20-2016 at 06:19 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 06:25 PM

rankings reflect the raw data. what do you think the rankings are based on if not the raw data.

how do you know the schools don't have the funding? How does the school continue to operate with lack of funding? Why do physicians, engineers, chemists, lawyers, etc send their kids to these schools if they are not funded? The cost of living is lower in Florence and there are good teachers at the schools so your point doesn't make any sense. The schools in Florence do attract good teachers which has been my point.

The schools have band, athletic programs, and other extracurricular clubs and activities. That wouldn't be the case if there is a lack of funding.

I don't think it is true that a school isn't as good if has more poor people. that makes no sense. It is about the teachers. Education stems from teachers, not the demographics of the students.

it sounds like you just don't care for schools with more poor kids, that seems to be your focus. I don't see how poor kids affect the quality of the teaching at the school.

You said twice that Windsor Forest backs up to Darlington Street. It doesn't. It is nowhere near the crime areas and you won't find any crime data that says crime occurs in Windsor Forest. This was one of your examples.

A collection of neighborhoods is typically called a suburb. West Florence has collections of neighborhoods.

more criminals live in Columbia metro because there are more people living there. More criminals living in an area means greater probablity of being a victim of crime. The population density in Florence is much lower. You also said the Oakdale area has crime, it is like 8 miles from the downtown area. How far out do people need to live to be safe. why would people move to suburbs that were not safe.

My perspective is a 20 year resident of west Florence burbs who went to the schools you are talking about. I think being a transient college kid in Florence at a school 10 miles to the east of town vs being a resident of the western suburb who went to the schools does give people different perspectives.

i think that i am done on this topic. i don't understand what your motivation is for comparing Florence to Columbia. You could just tout Columbia without talking about Florence doesn't stack up in this or that. If I were to ask about schools in a certain city, I would want to hear from people who went to the schools or have kids that went to the schools, not somebody who has no direct knowledge of the schools and the teachers.

i have no reason to tout a school that i went to if it wasn't a good school. if numerous graduates of the school can get into good colleges and occupations, it doesn't make sense to say it isn't as good as other schools. how can it get better if there are graduates getting into good colleges and occuptations. that is the whole point of education.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-20-2016 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
rankings reflect the raw data. what do you think the rankings are based on if not the raw data.

how do you know the schools don't have the funding? How does the school continue to operate with lack of funding? Why do physicians, engineers, chemists, lawyers, etc send their kids to these schools if they are not funded? The cost of living is lower in Florence and there are good teachers at the schools so your point doesn't make any sense. The schools in Florence do attract good teachers which has been my point.

The schools have band, athletic programs, and other extracurricular clubs and activities. That wouldn't be the case if there is a lack of funding.

I don't think it is true that a school isn't as good if has more poor people. that makes no sense. It is about the teachers. Education stems from teachers, not the demographics of the students.

it sounds like you just don't care for schools with more poor kids, that seems to be your focus. I don't see how poor kids affect the quality of the teaching at the school.

You said twice that Windsor Forest backs up to Darlington Street. It doesn't. It is nowhere near the crime areas and you won't find any crime data that says crime occurs in Windsor Forest. This was one of your examples.

A collection of neighborhoods is typically called a suburb. West Florence has collections of neighborhoods.

more criminals live in Columbia metro because there are more people living there. More criminals living in an area means greater probablity of being a victim of crime. The population density in Florence is much lower. You also said the Oakdale area has crime, it is like 8 miles from the downtown area. How far out do people need to live to be safe. why would people move to suburbs that were not safe.

My perspective is a 20 year resident of west Florence burbs who went to the schools you are talking about. I think being a transient college kid in Florence at a school 10 miles to the east of town vs being a resident of the western suburb who went to the schools does give people different perspectives.

i think that i am done on this topic. i don't understand what your motivation is for comparing Florence to Columbia. You could just tout Columbia without talking about Florence doesn't stack up in this or that. If I were to ask about schools in a certain city, I would want to hear from people who went to the schools or have kids that went to the schools, not somebody who has no direct knowledge of the schools and the teachers.

i have no reason to tout a school that i went to if it wasn't a good school.
Lol, whatever you say man!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:48 PM

how are you more of an expert on schools you did not attend and suburbs you never lived in. you did not even know Windsor Forest does not back up to Darlington Street. nobody who lives in Florence would have said that.

i'm just pointing that out. i don't care if a person moves to florence or not. you are the one who wanted to refute what I said about the schools and crime, so I engaged you on it.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:49 PM

OP, I thought of another area that may be a good place to look at, I am not sure anyone listed Traveler's Rest yet but its a nice area, 10 miles or so from downtown Greenville with a fantastic downtown on the Swamp Rabbit Trail and at the base of Paris Mountain. Its developing out there but still pretty small and quaint so you may want to check that place out when you come visit as well.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
how are you more of an expert on schools you did not attend and suburbs you never lived in. you did not even know Windsor Forest does not back up to Darlington Street. nobody who lives in Florence would have said that.

i'm just pointing that out. i don't care if a person moves to florence or not.
Lol, you're right, I have no clue what I am talking about and you have much more knowledge on this topic clearly! Keep up the good work champ

Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 PM

Yes because i went to the schools and i lived in the suburbs in town.

Good night. I wish I had not engaged you on this. waste of time, especially when the person calls you 'champ'. at least it wasn't 'boss'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina