U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 08:49 PM

476 posts, read 293,270 times

Advertisements

I'm checking out Florence County. Saw a cute house in Effingham. On wikipedia Effingham is not considered a town but a community because it's unincorporated. What does that mean exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 11:42 PM

6,632 posts, read 14,132,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
I'm checking out Florence County. Saw a cute house in Effingham. On wikipedia Effingham is not considered a town but a community because it's unincorporated. What does that mean exactly?
It's not an actual city or town that's incorporated, it's just what an area in the unincorporated section of the county is called.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:45 PM

8,853 posts, read 7,645,010 times
Typically an unincorporated area gets its services (police, fire, etc.) from the county rather then have their own services. Typically they may use/share schools so there may well be no Effingham High School. You might also see regional schools like Effingham-Whatever High School. They will also pay their taxes to the county. The more rural a state is, the more common this setup will be. In more urban states, some are doing away with the county layer of government. I believe in MA the only county function remaining is County Jails for those towns to small to have their own jails.

As an example. In Lexington County SC there is the City of Lexington and there is unincorporated Lexington. I live in unincorporated Lexington. I pay my taxes to Lexington County, not to the City of Lexington. We use Lexington County fire, sheriff, etc. but our children go to Lexington High School along with the City of Lexington kids. My address is still Lexington, SC. The City of Lexington has their own government (elected Mayor, Council, etc.) whom I cannot vote for. I vote in Lexington County elections.

Hope I have explained it properly.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,510,288 times
Quote:
Many times, these areas have formed from being old train stops but are not actually towns with government or anything. Effingham is in Florence County so all services and taxes would go through the county and Effingham feeds into the South Florence High School cluster of Florence District 1.

Effingham seems like a nice rural area with nice homes just out in the country. Not that this would be or even pose an issue but one thing to note is that the Florence County Jail is out there. Again, not really a big deal and no issues I know of have ever occurred because of it but just something you may want to be aware of.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Typically an unincorporated area gets its services (police, fire, etc.) from the county rather then have their own services. Typically they may use/share schools so there may well be no Effingham High School. You might also see regional schools like Effingham-Whatever High School. They will also pay their taxes to the county. The more rural a state is, the more common this setup will be. In more urban states, some are doing away with the county layer of government. I believe in MA the only county function remaining is County Jails for those towns to small to have their own jails.

As an example. In Lexington County SC there is the City of Lexington and there is unincorporated Lexington. I live in unincorporated Lexington. I pay my taxes to Lexington County, not to the City of Lexington. We use Lexington County fire, sheriff, etc. but our children go to Lexington High School along with the City of Lexington kids. My address is still Lexington, SC. The City of Lexington has their own government (elected Mayor, Council, etc.) whom I cannot vote for. I vote in Lexington County elections.

Hope I have explained it properly.
Thanks so much! You definitely made it a lot less complicated.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Many times, these areas have formed from being old train stops but are not actually towns with government or anything. Effingham is in Florence County so all services and taxes would go through the county and Effingham feeds into the South Florence High School cluster of Florence District 1.

Effingham seems like a nice rural area with nice homes just out in the country. Not that this would be or even pose an issue but one thing to note is that the Florence County Jail is out there. Again, not really a big deal and no issues I know of have ever occurred because of it but just something you may want to be aware of.
It's funny you mention the jail. Both my brother and son work in corrections. My brother is the supervisor of the supervisor of a work camp. My son entered the academy after graduating high school in 2015. It's a tough job. Myself, I have a degree in Criminal Justice. I worked as a patrol officer in NH years ago but after having 2 knee surgeries and a major shoulder surgery I can't do the physical aspect of the job anymore. I've been jumping from job to job trying to find what I am meant to be/do but not having any luck. LOL. Hoping a move to the south will offer fresh alternatives and a fresh start.

Thank you for your information.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:15 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,129,173 times
Quote:
Everywhere you live in SC is within the jurisdiction of a state and county government, somewhere. You pay taxes and get services in return. Optionally, you can also live within an incorporated city -- or not. This is just an additional layer of government.

Places that incorporated have a city government. That is, they charge taxes, they have a mayor, they have laws, they provide services (trash collection, possibly water/sewer, etc). You pay city/county/state taxes.

Places that are unincorporated do not have any kind of municipal government. It only "exists" as a town/city in the sense that the U.S. census (or the U.S. postal service) has given it a name. You pay only county/state taxes.

Last edited by le roi; 06-19-2016 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina