Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

Camping

$250K can buy quite a nice home in most of SC, just not in the more desirable coastal areas such as Mount Pleasant. Going 30 to 45 minutes off the coast (such as Summerville) and a nice home can easily be had for $250K or less.

You mention that you will both need to work so your best opportunities for employment will be by being within commuting distance from the major metropolitan areas in SC which are Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston. Myrtle Beach employment can be seasonal and also geared toward the tourist service industry as in may I take your drink order.

Last edited by johngolf; 07-27-2016 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 08:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Camping

$250K can buy quite a nice home in most of SC, just not in the more desirable coastal areas such as Mount Pleasant. Going 30 to 45 minutes off the coast (such as Summerville) and a nice home can easily be had for $250K or less.

You mention that you will both need to work so your best opportunities for employment will be by being within commuting distance from the major metropolitan areas in SC which are Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston. Myrtle Beach employment can be seasonal and also geared toward the tourist service industry as in may I take your drink order.
As I have my CDL class B to drive a school bus, no matter where I go, I'll find work as there is a big driver's shortage. Hubby is going to transfer to a Wally World there until he can find something more geared with his skills. I've been dispatcher/router for the last 5 years and I'd rather stick with the office end, but I'll drive again if I have to.

Thanks for that tip. I'll keep looking at those areas you mentioned. I'd like to be within a hour of the coast. Plus looking at travel time to get where my older kids live in FL & GA.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina