U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 07:52 AM

3,059 posts, read 1,754,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm talking about both on C-D and in real life.
I note your opinion. I disagree. I find myself in Columbia often for USC sporting events and my friends who live there are quite proud of the place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 AM

29,672 posts, read 27,113,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I note your opinion. I disagree. I find myself in Columbia often for USC sporting events and my friends who live there are quite proud of the place.
Being proud is one thing but being boosterish is quite another. Columbians are a lot more modest about their city compared to Charleston and Greenville, easily. Just look at how each city promotes themselves as practical examples. I recall reading an article about Mast General's decision to open a store in Columbia a few years ago and the VP noted that when they were scouting the city years earlier, city leaders didn't mention anything about the region's amenities as selling points to help land the store. Columbia really does undersell itself.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-13-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Being proud is one thing but being boosterish is quite another. Columbians are a lot more modest about their city compared to Charleston and Greenville, easily. Just look at how each city promotes themselves as practical examples. I recall reading an article about Mast General's decision to open a store in Columbia a few years ago and the VP noted that when they were scouting the city years earlier, city leaders didn't mention anything about the region's amenities as selling points to help land the store. Columbia really does undersell itself.
Your opinion is noted.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Your opinion is noted.
It's an opinion based in some fact though. I've read more than a couple of articles over the years in The State that talk about how Columbia chronically undersells itself.

Do you really think Columbians are as boosterish and snobbish about their city as Charlestonians are? Do you think it promotes itself nearly as much to the extent of Charleston? These are genuine questions.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:19 AM

You just can't discern between fact and supposition. You have an opinion based on someone else's opinion. That does not miraculously create fact. Because The State says something, I'd take the opposite side. It's one of the worst city papers of any place I ever lived. It's contrary to damn near anything positive. To be honest though, I quit reading that rag years ago.

People I know who live in Columbia constantly bash Charleston. I just tell them they are jealous. It's all in fun. Only on CD do people take it personally. I love Charleston, but I don't find the snobbery that those of you who have never lived here find.

Charleston and Greenville do seem to get better coverage of their business recruiting, but I couldn't speak intelligently to what Columbia does or does not do.

Columbia is just fine. It's a really good city. I don't think it's more, or less, anything.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:53 AM

4,197 posts, read 3,560,654 times
Yes! Charleston is beautiful! The slaves that built the city did a fabulous job. Something does cringe in me whenever I see something with plantation in the name. I also wonder why South Carolina don't have a holocaust type museum memorial for those who lost their life on the African Slave trade route to places like Sullivan Island since 40% of slaves came through the Island.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 07-13-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 11:00 AM

9,611 posts, read 13,732,561 times
I was in Columbia on July 4th and picked up the seasonal tour guide books from somewhere. I can't remember where right now, but it wasn't from the visitors' center. Anyway, the writers, photographers and publishers have really stepped up their game with the guides. They are truly impressive and are not the least bit patronizing they way they used to come across. They are just matter of fact, beautifully written and illustrated, and full of information about Columbia and the region. In the promotion arena, the Capital City has scored with its information guides most definitely.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Charleston and Greenville do seem to get better coverage of their business recruiting, but I couldn't speak intelligently to what Columbia does or does not do.
That's part of what I'm talking about. For some reason, Columbia doesn't really play to its strengths and tout its assets as it should. That's also what I was talking about as far as The State goes, as well as the Free Times (and yes, journalistic integrity is a lost art just about everywhere these days). Columbia is just overall a more modest city.

Quote:
Columbia is just fine. It's a really good city. I don't think it's more, or less, anything.
I agree that Columbia is a fine city but it just doesn't toot its own horn nearly as much as Charleston and Greenville. I think that can be a good thing but there are times when you really should. It's obviously worked for Charleston and Greenville.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Yes! Charleston is beautiful! The slaves that built the city did a fabulous job. Something does cringe in me whenever I see something with plantation in the name. I also wonder why South Carolina don't have a holocaust type museum memorial for those who lost their life on the African Slave trade route to places like Sullivan Island since 40% of slaves came through the Island.
It's coming: Home - International African American Museum | Charleston SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I was in Columbia on July 4th and picked up the seasonal tour guide books from somewhere. I can't remember where right now, but it wasn't from the visitors' center. Anyway, the writers, photographers and publishers have really stepped up their game with the guides. They are truly impressive and are not the least bit patronizing they way they used to come across. They are just matter of fact, beautifully written and illustrated, and full of information about Columbia and the region. In the promotion arena, the Capital City has scored with its information guides most definitely.
That's really good to see. Ultimately I'd like to see Columbia do a better job of marketing its natural assets in particular in a more comprehensive fashion.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 PM

159 posts, read 86,505 times
When I was in Greenville, we met a few times each month on how to craft the image of Greenville. We looked at social media outlets and how to tell the crafted message from online advertising to Twitter to #yeahthatgreenville. Some of the local ad agencies used their contacts to create stories about Greenville. Some folks took to message boards to tell the story of Greenville.......I recognize some folks on this board who are part of the messaging. Any small story or announcement was (and still is) celebrated with a very positive spin.

Nothing wrong with selling a city but yes, I agree, Greenville is in a different world in self promotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or