U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 PM
 
159 posts, read 87,287 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's coming: Home - International African American Museum | Charleston SC



That's really good to see. Ultimately I'd like to see Columbia do a better job of marketing its natural assets in particular in a more comprehensive fashion.
Columbia definitely needs to sell itself better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
667 posts, read 607,123 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
Columbia definitely needs to sell itself better.
It would be helpful if we could get rid of water treatment into the Saluda. It doesn't help AT ALL when every year you hear about another spill of untreated sewage into the waterways. Our rivers are great and should be better protected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 AM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,889,393 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
It would be helpful if we could get rid of water treatment into the Saluda. It doesn't help AT ALL when every year you hear about another spill of untreated sewage into the waterways. Our rivers are great and should be better protected.
Ew, I had never heard that, but thanks for letting me know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,590 posts, read 4,014,719 times
Reputation: 2926
i dont think there is any evidence Columbia doesn't market itself as well as Charleston and Greenville. The city has had residential growth on the same level as Gville The Columbia CVB claims the Cola region gets 4 million tourists and travelers in a year. USC alone is bringing a lot of people into town. The zoo, state museum, congaree national park are some of the most visited tourist attractions in SC, with the zoo usually no. 1.

Cola has the #famouslyhot marketing thing on twitter and posts the same kind of things as #yeahthatgreenville.

much of what Greenville puts on social media is recognition of Greenville in publications, websites not affiliated with Greenville. most of the rest of it is news related discussing new restaurants, retail, etc, or pictures of the area such as the waterfall downtown or Caesars Head. it isn't some kind of complex propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 PM
 
2,056 posts, read 2,470,530 times
Reputation: 3799
My Goodness Gracious Alive! Me, I would be very tired and need to take a long nap from waving those pom poms so frantically! Why do people get so rah rah rah on these forums? and what sort of person would somehow believe that the best place on earth to live is Charleston S.C.?

I see this on the Savannah forum too. I mean, these sorts of silly postings, over and over and over again would just make me steer waaaaay clear of these cities if I was thinking of moving. You wonder, are these children posting? Bored teenagers? I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 03:28 AM
 
1,615 posts, read 1,063,548 times
Reputation: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
My Goodness Gracious Alive! Me, I would be very tired and need to take a long nap from waving those pom poms so frantically! Why do people get so rah rah rah on these forums? and what sort of person would somehow believe that the best place on earth to live is Charleston S.C.?

I see this on the Savannah forum too. I mean, these sorts of silly postings, over and over and over again would just make me steer waaaaay clear of these cities if I was thinking of moving. You wonder, are these children posting? Bored teenagers? I just don't get it.

Steer far away. I dont think smyone is stopping you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Murrica
3,152 posts, read 1,803,454 times
Reputation: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
My Goodness Gracious Alive! Me, I would be very tired and need to take a long nap from waving those pom poms so frantically! Why do people get so rah rah rah on these forums? and what sort of person would somehow believe that the best place on earth to live is Charleston S.C.?

I see this on the Savannah forum too. I mean, these sorts of silly postings, over and over and over again would just make me steer waaaaay clear of these cities if I was thinking of moving. You wonder, are these children posting? Bored teenagers? I just don't get it.
It's the best city to visit. Not live. RIF.

Bye-bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Outer Boroughs, NYC
1,666 posts, read 1,310,440 times
Reputation: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
what sort of person would somehow believe that the best place on earth to live is Charleston S.C.?

I see this on the Savannah forum too. I mean, these sorts of silly postings, over and over and over again would just make me steer waaaaay clear of these cities if I was thinking of moving. You wonder, are these children posting? Bored teenagers? I just don't get it.
You're being disingenuous there. Yes, I've read a few times on the Charleston forum (from native Charlestonians and newcomers) that Charleston is God's gift, but I've rarely (if ever) read that about Savannah on the Savannah forum, and I'm a regular there. There's a direct and honest discussion of Savannah's crime problem, its relative poverty, and a lack of white-collar jobs -- all reasons why it fails to be "the best place to live." What we do say is that it's now more interesting than Georgia's other 2nd-tier cities (Augusta, Columbus, Macon), is growing faster than all of them, and has a distinct culture (the other three really don't have one). You have bashed Savannah, going so far as to minimize the city's progress in recent years -- in metro population and its new prestige among historic cities. When I was growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, no one came to visit Savannah except for history professors. I live in New York now, and everyone knows Savannah. Many are curious and ask me about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 06:54 AM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
You're being disingenuous there. Yes, I've read a few times on the Charleston forum (from native Charlestonians and newcomers) that Charleston is God's gift, but I've rarely (if ever) read that about Savannah on the Savannah forum, and I'm a regular there. There's a direct and honest discussion of Savannah's crime problem, its relative poverty, and a lack of white-collar jobs -- all reasons why it fails to be "the best place to live." What we do say is that it's now more interesting than Georgia's other 2nd-tier cities (Augusta, Columbus, Macon), is growing faster than all of them, and has a distinct culture (the other three really don't have one). You have bashed Savannah, going so far as to minimize the city's progress in recent years -- in metro population and its new prestige among historic cities. When I was growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, no one came to visit Savannah except for history professors. I live in New York now, and everyone knows Savannah. Many are curious and ask me about it.
I think he just meant that you see threads about Savannah's favorable rankings in the Savannah forum as well, which is true. And on the Charleston forum, you regularly read complaints about the problems that high growth and popularity bring: worsening traffic, strained/inadequate infrastructure, increasing home prices, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Bishkek
1,978 posts, read 1,819,546 times
Reputation: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
So we can generate more tax revenue that the state can take and spend on roads somewhere else.
True That!
In the up country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top