U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM

7,583 posts, read 3,999,195 times

Advertisements

the difference is Greenville people don't pop up and say Greenville is better than Charleston when a Charleston person posts a ranking like this that includes Charleston but not Greenville.

Charleston fans will do that on a Greenville accolade thread, even one posted on the Greenville forum.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-07-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:57 PM

635 posts, read 536,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Bulldog View Post
Won't be long until you remember, then!
There's a reason I'm coming back I love the Victorian era and LOVE the scenery of the lowcountry. I was kinda forced to move in 2014. Can't wait to be back Many Greenville people say they "like/love" Chas to visit from time to time but every time I go I feel I step back in time and I'm totally depressed to go back to the upstate ha. And y'all may not like it but I LOVE the marsh/harbor smell!

Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,394,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
There's a reason I'm coming back I love the Victorian era and LOVE the scenery of the lowcountry. I was kinda forced to move in 2014. Can't wait to be back Many Greenville people say they "like/love" Chas to visit from time to time but every time I go I feel I step back in time and I'm totally depressed to go back to the upstate ha. And y'all may not like it but I LOVE the marsh/harbor smell!
Step back in time is what I don't won't to remember as a black man. Not interested in seeing slave trade areas. I prefer something more modern. Also like the retail available up here.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:32 AM

266 posts, read 228,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Step back in time is what I don't won't to remember as a black man. Not interested in seeing slave trade areas. I prefer something more modern. Also like the retail available up here.
Charleston is far more progressed than anything up there.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Really? Well I'm sorry you feel that way.

That has NEVER crossed my mind when I go downtown. I think of men and women in 1700-1800s costume, how it must have been to have no vehicles, no technology.....

I think that's how many people like to think of Charleston. As far as remembering the slave days, that's why they are building memorials.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:17 AM

29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
There's only one existing slave trade area in downtown Charleston, the Old Slave Mart Museum. Otherwise, as a Black man, I enjoy the historic urban experience, great food, and scenic vistas of downtown Charleston; they don't make cities like that anymore.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:52 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,394,549 times
Just not for me. Sorry. It's not for everyone.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 AM

7,583 posts, read 3,999,195 times
it is hard to escape the slavery / civil war stuff if you live in Charleston. as a native of the state, i get tired of hearing about that stuff.

you see people say that Charleston is 'more progressive' than Gville but they don't ever back that up. it is a casual smear.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-08-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-08-2016, 12:00 PM

29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
I understand that but I don't get the "slave trade areas" criticism.

Have you ever been to New Orleans?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Do you live there? If you do, then move. It happened hundreds of years ago. Get over it.

That might sound harsh but many Jews got over the Holocaust and some became inspirational leaders and writers. What about the victims of 9/11 and military members who have been killed in every war? Let's just hate every country we came into contact with. The same goes for victims of rapists, molesters, abusers. I am a survivor of one of those and I don't hold it against my abusers.

It's called forgive and forget.

Now, back to the main reason why this thread was created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or