U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:34 PM

4,536 posts, read 6,372,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I understand that but I don't get the "slave trade areas" criticism.

Have you ever been to New Orleans?
It's just something I don't want to see. I don't have much desire to travel to New Orleans. Someone I know lost there life there. Killed at random as they robbed him. Just not interested. If you like it that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind. Either of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Do you live there? If you do, then move. It happened hundreds of years ago. Get over it.

That might sound harsh but many Jews got over the Holocaust and some became inspirational leaders and writers. What about the victims of 9/11 and military members who have been killed in every war? Let's just hate every country we came into contact with. The same goes for victims of rapists, molesters, abusers. I am a survivor of one of those and I don't hold it against my abusers.

It's called forgive and forget.

Now, back to the main reason why this thread was created.
You like it fine. Not for me. Doesn't change my mind. That's why there are choices of places to live. Don't try and tell me how to feel about slavery. Wasn't a good time for my ancestors. No need to discuss further. You like it. Good for you. We both like where we live.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:35 PM

29,727 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
It's just something I don't want to see. I don't have much desire to travel to New Orleans. Someone I know lost there life there. Killed at random as they robbed him. Just not interested. If you like it that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind. Either of you.
You can easily bypass the Old Slave Mart if you want, but it just sounds like you don't like older cities at all. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:54 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,855,871 times
I dont have any issue with any of it. The city of Charleston doesnt let people forget where Charleston came from, and who had a major hand in making the city what it is today: hint, the slaves.

Not many US cities have that culture anymore because they literally just sprang up from a railroad, but not Charleston. If Charleston had tried to just sweep its slave past under the rug, thats a different story and thats an issue, but thats not the case.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 07-08-2016 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Do you live there? If you do, then move. It happened hundreds of years ago. Get over it.
Dont ever tell someone to "get over it." You're supposed to forgive, but never forget.

Are Americans in 2201 supposed to have "gotten over 9/11?" When do we get over WWII and stop maintaining our memorials and holding a Memorial and Veterans Day?

Answer is never. 9/11, WWII, Great Depression, Civil Rights, WWI, Vietnam, Civil War, Sandy Hook, JFK and Lincoln assassination, Katrina, Pearl Harbor, BP spill, Slavery, etc: its burned into our history and will not, and should not ever be forgotten by any American: past, presemt, and especially future.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You can easily bypass the Old Slave Mart if you want, but it just sounds like you don't like older cities at all. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I don't hate it. It's a good place to visit for different scenery. Just not where I want to live.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,052,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it is hard to escape the slavery / civil war stuff if you live in Charleston. as a native of the state, i get tired of hearing about that stuff.

you see people say that Charleston is 'more progressive' than Gville but they don't ever back that up. it is a casual smear.
I live in charleston and im not reminded of that stuff everyday. Its just a beautiful city. Its much more to charleston than war museums and plantations

Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 AM

3,076 posts, read 1,759,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I live in charleston and im not reminded of that stuff everyday. Its just a beautiful city. Its much more to charleston than war museums and plantations
Agreed. There are artifacts of our past to be found, no doubt. But they do not dominate the landscape if you don't let it.

DSMRE, I get it. Charleston isn't for everyone and I would never be so silly as to tell you to "get over it". Memorials should be in place to remind all people's of our tragic mistakes. I toured Dachau. It was the most powerful experience of my life.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:00 AM

8,510 posts, read 5,327,480 times
Love Charleston and love to visit there, just never had any desire to live there or anywhere in the low country. All my Charleston friends wants to know why I love living in the country so much. They call Sumter the country, but that's fine by me, I am a little bias towards the midlands. But congrats, hope to visit again soon.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it is hard to escape the slavery / civil war stuff if you live in Charleston.
No it isnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or