U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 09:12 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,394,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
I doubt Charleston is envious of Greenville retail.

Here is the real question...........why do people get so excited (Charleston) or upset (Greenville) over a magazine ranking?

Charleston is the coolest part of SC......but, best in the world???? No. Most people in Europe could not pick it out on a map.

Magazines are for entertainment.........anyone who puts too much emphasis on city rankings, college rankings etc......needs a hobby.
I could care less if they're envious or not. Different strokes for different folks. Not for me. Nothing more to discuss as far that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,009,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it is hard to escape the slavery / civil war stuff if you live in Charleston. as a native of the state, i get tired of hearing about that stuff.

you see people say that Charleston is 'more progressive' than Gville but they don't ever back that up. it is a casual smear.
Couldn't disagree more. I was born and raised in the upstate, GSP area. And live in Charleston now...for 10 years. The Civil War history is here. It happened here. But you have to seek it out to be "reminded" of it. Otherwise you don't see any of it.

Charleston is more progressive than Greenville. By a wide margin too. Not that I like it. I'm a conservative. But it is.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:56 AM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
insomnia too eh?

i lived in Charleston as well.

i thought progressive was being used in the true sense, not a political sense. Charleston is not more modern than Greenville.

Charleston's district elected Mark Sanford to represent them, and he is about as conservative as you can get these days. The district has been represented by a Republican every election since 1980.

if you factor in the transient college kids, it probably is more liberal.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2016 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 06:17 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,060,786 times
Quote:
insomnia too eh?

i thought progressive was being used in the true sense, not a political sense. Charleston is not more modern than Greenville.

Charleston's district elected Mark Sanford to represent them, and he is about as conservative as you can get these days. The district has been represented by a Republican every election since 1980.

You need to be a spokesman for the Upstate

Old 07-11-2016, 06:27 AM

what did i say that is incorrect. is Mark Sanford not a conservative? Tim Scott was the rep prior to Sanford.

i grew up in the state. if i am not mistaken, you are a transplant from the northeast. maybe you should be the spokesperson for the state you are from.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2016 at 06:36 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
Quote:
insomnia too eh?

The upstate has always been the most conservative part of SC and remains so today. The proof is in the election results. Charleston is not into the modern look. Historic preservation. That's why people come here.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 PM

159 posts, read 87,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The upstate has always been the most conservative part of SC and remains so today. The proof is in the election results. Charleston is not into the modern look. Historic preservation. That's why people come here.
Greenville has long been the most conservative part of SC. When I was there, I was shocked at how far right the state and federal politicians seemed to be. It has not changed much, it was the upstate politicians who wanted to keep the confederate flag.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:35 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Not sure what this has to do with the thread, but since we're on it, when we had the whole flag debate last year, of the 20 representatives that voted to keep the flag up, only 5 were not from the Upstate. All 20 were Upstate or Midlands.

And the main ones who got super passionate with it were Upstaters, such as Lee Bright. I think that shows all you need to see. The Upstate is deep red. The Lowcountry is purple, but Charleston itself dips its feet in blue.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:35 PM

Charleston's congressional district has gone GOP since 1980 and currently held by Mark Sanford, prior to that Tim Scott.

Romney easily won Dorchester and Berkely Counties, and Obama only won Charleston county by 2 points, which mean Romney did well in Mount Pleasant, the nicest area down there. Charleston dowtown and peninsula's demographic (large number of minorities and poor) favored Obama heavily but he only won by 2 points. The suburbs of Charleston are Republican which is where most middle class will live. There is also a sizable military, depart of defense prescene in town, and those workers tend be Republican.

Mount Pleasant has a Republican mayor.

You talk about election results but that does not support your claim. Sanford, Tim SCott are not less conservative than the pols typically elected up here.

I lived in Charleston for 2 years and never noticed any difference. But in my experience, politics is not discussed that much at work or with strangers in SC. Sometimes the impression given on here is Charleston is like Berkely or Chapel HIll.

Gville has historic perservation too, many old buildings. There is nothing wrong with some new ones as well. I think majority of people are lured to Charlesotn by the beach, warm weathers, and other issues. Historic perservation is probably not high on the list.

I don' tthink Lee Bright ran on his support for confederate flag so you can't make conclusions that voters in upstate care about the flag. Flag didn't become a big issue until after his election, and there was little opposition to taking it down acros the state. And it was the liberal Democrat governor Ernest Hollings who put it up on the state house in the first place, and GOP gov who pushed for it be take off state house and placed on state house grounds.

the pyscho who killed the people in the church was from Columbia / Lexington.

It was former GOP senator Jim DeMint from Gville who lobbied Haley to place Tim Scott in his senate seat when he resigned. Scott is only 1 of 2 black senators in the country.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-11-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
The upstate is the area in the state most opposed to taking down the Confederate flag. That is well known by everyone. Haley more or less had to take it down. She really did not support the removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or