Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:26 PM

91 posts, read 378,526 times

Advertisements

While in NY I saw a rat board a yacht at a marina , entire buildings infested with roaches and or rats, in Boston, rats feeding along the tracks of the T trains, same with the El in Chicago. Saw venomous snake in San Diego and Desert palms, mice in San Francisco, snakes in Sedona and all over Arizona along with scorpions. Killed a scorpion with my shoe in Florida. An hour later the corpse was devoured by something else. Scorpions and tarantulas in Florida not to mention a gator attacking a jogger. Snakes on the roads in many eastern states. Swarms of mosquitoes in the north country, requiring mosquito nets for survival.
The southeast has a big scary Palmetto bug that has a way of making surprise appearances. It prefers the outdoors and is harmless. Folks have a pest service to come by quarterly and forget about it.
Each area, with its different climate has pests. you accept the ones where you were brought up and when you move you tell your friends horrific stories about the new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,447 times
Wink Just like anywhere else

Roaches are roaches. They are in every single city, every single state & more often than not they are in almost every single neighborhood. That doesn't however mean that they will infest your home. We do have Palmetto roaches in South Carolina but those are not to worry about. It's roaches like the German Cockroach that should be of concern. They carry diseases & mites. The Palmetto roach is more of an outdoor bug. I do not believe the Palmetto carries such dieases as the German Cockroach. It is also extremely difficult to get rid of German roaches. We are some of the cleanest people you'd ever meet yet we have German Cockroaches in our kitchen and bathrooms. Only a few but still. We live in a very upscale neighborhood with all of the homes being just two years old. Unfortunately a bunch of college guys moved in next door and they never clean. That is how we believe we got them. I have gone above and beyond to make sure they die or at least never come back but they still do. I completely understand your not wanting to move to South Carolina if Palmetto bugs freak you out. You cannot avoid German Cockroaches though. It doesn't matter how clean you are. If someone next door to you has them, next thing ya know you to have them. I wouldn't not move to SC though because of Palmetto bugs. They are usually found dead in the foyer of the home and usually not often. They will not hurt you. They will not go through your cabinets or take baths in your sink water. It doesn't matter where you go though, you simply cannot avoid German Cockroaches. If they disgust you that much (& they do me to!), I suggest buying a single family house that way if you get German Cockroaches you only have yourself to blame. Hope this helped some, good luck.

This goes for EVERYONE:

1.) AVOID CLUTTER, roaches are attracted to that darkness that clutter provides.
2.) THINK NEXT TIME WHEN YOU WANT TO REUSE THOSE GROCERY BAGS,
the truth is that some grocery bags actually have roach eggs in them from the grocery store.
3.) AVOID WATER LEFT IN SINK & ON COUNTERTOPS, some roaches are attracted to moisture.
4.) VACUUM, if you don't already do this I suggest you start. Roaches shed skin & also poop on all surfaces. This is a major health hazard because roaches skin and poop often cause asthma in children.
5.) SEAL UP ALL FOOD TIGHTLY, roaches will eat your food, it's true. Put all food in containers that are sealed tightly or ziploc bags that are sealed tight. Avoid keeping around boxes with food in them, exp. POPCORN, throw the box away & leave the sealed up popcorn packages on the shelf.
6.) CLEAN UP CRUMBS, roaches love crumbs so make sure to clean them up after you make them.
7.) CALL AN EXTERMINATOR IMMEDIATELY, if you have German Cockroaches...they multiply very quickly!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM

14 posts, read 42,960 times
It is something you will have to contend with. My husband and I moved last year from Indiana (we lived about an hour east of Chicago) to Tennessee. There are many bugs and spiders. If you love where you want to live, you have to put up with some inconveniences. Find a good exterminator.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 PM

18 posts, read 61,054 times
Oh my gosh! I will be moving down to the Charleston area in January and I was just reading about the bugs.....ohhh it makes my skin crawl! I know that its unavoidable but I will try and follow all the advice given to a T. I hope the apartment complex I chose can take care of them! Yikes!!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,128 times
I have to say I really admire all of you who live in the South and deal with these bugs. I get completely freaked about bugs and can't stand them. We live in the North and although we have our fair share of bugs, they are nothing compared to what it sounds like you have. Maybe it's not a big deal for most people, but I seriously hate them, so I notice them more than others. We have considered moving farther South, and I know bugs shouldn't be a deciding factor, but they are definately a big CON on my list now. I just don't know if I could do it. But I admire you all that do.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyel429 View Post
Oh my gosh! I will be moving down to the Charleston area in January and I was just reading about the bugs.....ohhh it makes my skin crawl! I know that its unavoidable but I will try and follow all the advice given to a T. I hope the apartment complex I chose can take care of them! Yikes!!
LOL, then you will love this. I was sitting in my family room the other day checking out the hurricane reports when I get this pinching pain on my pinky toe. I look down and there is this 2 inch palmetto bug biting me!!!! OMG I have been living with these darn things for 15 years but I have never been physically attacked by one before! After I let out my blood curdling scream and shook it off my foot the thing ran under the couch. I ran and got the broom pulled the couch out from the wall and out it ran. One swat and belly up it went. I then proceeded with the ceremonial flushing.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:36 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
LOL, then you will love this. I was sitting in my family room the other day checking out the hurricane reports when I get this pinching pain on my pinky toe. I look down and there is this 2 inch palmetto bug biting me!!!! OMG I have been living with these darn things for 15 years but I have never been physically attacked by one before! After I let out my blood curdling scream and shook it off my foot the thing ran under the couch. I ran and got the broom pulled the couch out from the wall and out it ran. One swat and belly up it went. I then proceeded with the ceremonial flushing.
OMG I would have died right there! You are the first person I've ever heard of bitten by one.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:47 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
Yeah, I was a little concerned at first waiting to see if I would have a reaction or anything to it. I had no idea they could or would even do that. I guess my toe looked pretty tasty! Little bugger hurt too.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyel429 View Post
Then, not only will you have to keep your own apartment clean, you'll have to keep all your neighbors apartments clean too.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,686 times
I hate to be repetitive, but roaches just come with the climate.

No, you won't usually see them- they are nocturnal, and spend most of their lives behind the walls.

No, it does not matter how clean you keep everything- you'll still have them.
Yes, most people do NOT have health issues because of them.

FYI, at EL Cid when you go out for Sword Drill, you are required to have a nice, fresh "Palmetto Bug" running around under your Shako on your shaved head every night.

Just part of the local charm......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina