Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Each article you shared says the same thing, "black students are more likely to be suspended than white students."

I wont sit here and say there is no discrimination in any public schools around the country, I dont doubt that there unfortunately is, but its insane to jump to the conclusion that just because more black students are expelled than whites that its automatically discrimination not that more black students act out. Again, I look that most black students dont cause any trouble, and they are not suspended.
Apparently you missed these statements in the articles:
Quote:
To reach these conclusions, the group relied on research studies, as well as data from the U.S. Education Department. “Several studies indicate … that racial disparities are not sufficiently explained by the theory that black or other minority students are simply misbehaving more,” the collaborative wrote.
Yes, Schools Do Discriminate Against Students Of Color -- Reports

Quote:
Fifteen percent of students in the report's data pool were African-American — but they accounted for 44 percent of students suspended more than once. The discrepancy was "not explained by more frequent or more serious misbehavior by students of color," the investigators wrote.

One district, for example, booted more black students than white students to the alternative school, even though both groups had committed a similar number of offenses. Investigators also found policies that weren't intended to be discriminatory, but ended up having a disproportionate impact on minorities.
Yes, U.S. schools still discipline students based on their race

Quote:
Contrary to the prevailing assumption that African American boys are just getting “what they deserve” when they are disciplined, research shows that these boys do not “act out” in the classroom any more than their White peers. For example, in a study conducted by the Indiana Education Policy Center, researchers conclude that:

"Although discriminant analysis suggests that disproportionate rates of office referral and suspension for boys are due to increased rates of misbehavior, no support was found for the hypothesis that African American students act out more than other students. Rather, African American students appear to be referred to the office for less serious and more subjective reasons. Coupled with extensive and highly consistent prior data, these results argue that disproportionate representation of African Americans in office referrals, suspension and expulsion is evidence of a pervasive and systematic bias that may well be inherent in the use of exclusionary discipline (Skiba, 2000)".
Racial Disproportionality in School Discipline: Implicit Bias is Heavily Implicated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I don't understand this rush to make children into criminals.

Should I have been arrested when I got in a fight in 10th grade?
It's mind-boggling...like seriously???

Old 08-22-2016, 02:27 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,090 times
Look, I'm not saying it never happens, but again, this study showing a small percentage of a few select students in a few select school districts does not convince me that these students are just in trouble because of their race and again, especially not when the majority of black students even in this study are good students who do not get in trouble.

Actual discriminatory practices need to be dealt with, no question, but doing away with a needed law that is designed to protect all students regardless of race is insane.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's mind-boggling...like seriously???
What's mind-boggling is how many people on here want to defend those students causing serious issues and posing threats to the school environment.

The whole mano y mano scuffle after school on the football field is far different than the brawls that take place inside the school today, damaging property, putting others in harms way and overall creating an environment that makes it hard to learn. If you got into a brawl that damaged property or assaulted someone, yeah, you should have gotten arrested. Is it all that mind-boggling to have people be accountable for their actions? I mean is it really that mind-boggling to maintain a safe learning environment for all students?

Look, if internal disciplinary actions were enough to deter unruly behavior and maintain a safe school environment, we wouldn't have resource officers nor would we be debating about this. But as I said, the definition of trouble has changed dramatically and so has the effectiveness of a detention among students that are committing, what is by all letters of the law, a crime.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
What's mind-boggling is how many people on here want to defend those students causing serious issues and posing threats to the school environment.

The whole mano y mano scuffle after school on the football field is far different than the brawls that take place inside the school today, damaging property, putting others in harms way and overall creating an environment that makes it hard to learn. If you got into a brawl that damaged property or assaulted someone, yeah, you should have gotten arrested. Is it all that mind-boggling to have people be accountable for their actions? I mean is it really that mind-boggling to maintain a safe learning environment for all students?

Look, if internal disciplinary actions were enough to deter unruly behavior and maintain a safe school environment, we wouldn't have resource officers nor would we be debating about this. But as I said, the definition of trouble has changed dramatically and so has the effectiveness of a detention among students that are committing, what is by all letters of the law, a crime.
How much time have you actually spent in schools lately? I think you've been listening to too many alarmists.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
How much time have you actually spent in schools lately? I think you've been listening to too many alarmists.
Well I have several friends and a few relatives that are teachers, some younger family members still in the public schools and am personally less than 10 years removed from the public schools, though I can't say that we had many issues at my high school. Based off of their accounts and what I have seen in research and news online regarding discipline issues at schools, I'd say this is something that should not be taken too lightly.

Do you work in the schools or spend much time there? If so I would love to hear your observations and see if you can't provide a first hand perspective on the issue.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 PM

Married to a teacher for 20 years. So much of the crap you hear about life in schools is all dramatic.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Married to a teacher for 20 years. So much of the crap you hear about life in schools is all dramatic.
I dont doubt that, but I also don't doubt that there are some serious issues as well that keeping and reforming this law would address rather than throwing it out.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 PM

I think being able to upgrade to criminal charges should certainly be included for egregious cases, but as currently enforced, criminal charges can be the first step.

It's the same with a lot of new cops. They arrest kids when old school cops would take the child home for parents to fix. But in all honesty, I suppose there are a number of parents who would do nothing.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I think being able to upgrade to criminal charges should certainly be included for egregious cases, but as currently enforced, criminal charges can be the first step.

It's the same with a lot of new cops. They arrest kids when old school cops would take the child home for parents to fix. But in all honesty, I suppose there are a number of parents who would do nothing.
That's my whole thing with this, if basic sanctions from the school would be enough to prevent some of this, we would be fine but the fact this law has to be implemented to keep a sense of law and order tells me most parents wouldnt do anything sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: