Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 23,858 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I currently live in Parker, Colorado (suburb of Denver). Its nice here but I long to live in the South. Funny thing is I have never even been to the South but that is besides the point.

I love green green grass, big big trees. Think Forrest Gump! Oh to just buy that house (okay it was just a prop but let me have my silly dream). I know its not all fairytales in the South. I know there are BIG BUGS, High Humidity, etc. but I can deal with all of that.

So hubby and I are going to take a vacation to the South this fall with are two young children 5 & 3 to check out the scenery. I know I want to visit Beaufort (sp?). I have heard the crime rate is high there but I still want to see for myself.

So humor me please. Based just on how beautiful a place is (again, think Forrest Gump Movie) where would you send me to check out?

Obviously there is much more to deciding on relocating but I just want to hear about BEAUTIFUL PLACES (Green Grass, Big Trees, Homes with the Wrap Around Porches). Lets start there.

Any opions would be greatly apperciated.

Ya all Rock!

Ressh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I'd send you to Mt. Pleasant, because its beautiful........up and coming. Just over the bridge from Charleston......close to the ocean.
Based on beauty, closeness to Charleston, the OCEAN.......a good environment.
A bit of everything.......Thats where I'd send you.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
Charleston,Charleston,Charleston! Moonlight and Magnolias ,Verandas and Views, Charleston is the epitome of Southern charm. Abundant in Grand homes and elegant parks. Charleston Lowcountry combines the beautiful mossy backwater country,with metroplolitan savior faire. To Satisify your desire for big trees, the Angel Oak is the largest living thing east of the Mississippi. Boone Hall in Nearby Mt Pleasant is a Classic example of a Southern Plantation home that will delight your children.While there check out Cosmic Dogs www.jackscosmicdogs.com.
Best of luck on fulfilling your southern dream!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:24 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,622 times
Since Forrest Gump was filmed in Beaufort, I'm assuming you've already done you're homework and will enjoy the visit, even if the famous house is no longer there.

Along with Historic Charleston and Mt Pleasant, I'd make room for some time in Summerville.

Based on your home descriptions, I would definitely add the Historic area in Summerville to your itinerary, which has the type of homes you've described, along with huge live oak trees full of spanish moss. You can even take the free Walking Trail of Summerville's Homes & Gardens. Here's a sample and a view of the Blake Washington Bed and Breakfast located here:

And since you'd be in the area, I wouldn't miss the Middleton Place Plantation. It's about 5 miles south, down scenic Ashley River Road (Rt. 61).The landscaping is spectacular as you can see here:

http://www.middletonplace.org/images/mainshot_home.jpg (broken link)

And finally, if you're a fan of the film The Notebook and the famous boat scene with Noah and Ally in the swamp with the birds, not too far away would be Cypress Gardens. You could take that boat ride yourself where it was filmed:

http://www.cypressgardens.info/photos/boatfolks2a.jpg (broken link)

Cypress Gardens also has a Butterfly House, an Aquarium and Reptile exhibit along with another exhibit of Crocodiles, and a nice set of naturally wooded trails that your children may enjoy.

I moved to the South for the exact reasons you're thinking about it and some of these sites was part of my own research, but mostly just for my enjoyment since I'm also a fan of the beautiful Southern architecture and landscapes.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 23,858 times
THANK THANK YOU ALL! Okay so I am in love with South Carolina now. I think I will tell hubby its either SC or him....wonder how well that will go over.

LOL

Seriously, thank you...I can't wait to research all of these areas. The pictures .... WOW!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
Make sure you are wealthy (only half kidding here) OR that you have a job. I love, love, LOVE SC--charm, beauty, cute and quirky small towns, good people, amazing food. There is nothing like living in the low country of SC. Unfortuantely, SC just does not a ton of high paying jobs. I spent all of my elementary years in Summerville and we went to the beach almost every weekend growing up. Then as adults, we were lucky enough for DH company to move us there for almost 10 years unfortunately we just recently had to move back to big city life. If you make the move, I wish you a beautiful love affair with a great state. My I suggest adding Aiken, SC to your list. 2 /12 hours from beach or mountains, amazing beautiful historic homes and a great downtown. (zip code 29803)

Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
Charleston (and other coastal areas) are beautiful, but check into homeowner's insurance if you are going to live near the coast. We here in FL have been hit HARD (400% increase) in the last few years. I've heard that other coastal areas are undergoing similar problems. If you are going to see SC, try to see different areas if you have the time. You might like the mountains in the Greenville area (long ride to the beach, though). Greenville is beautiful, but very different from Charleston. There's a lot of variety in SC.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
^ 3.5 hours isn't too long to be in the mountains.

If you want to live along the coast and are interested in the "Forest Gump" lifestyle, consider places south of Charleston first. Beaufort is a great choice, as is Edisto Island, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina