Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times

Advertisements

Because yet again...I was comparing what Greenville could/should be to what Birmingham and Orlando is.

You're one of the people I see on here most talking about our annex laws, I don't understand how this is not making sense, or why we're still talking about it.

Again, I do not think Greenville and Orlando are the same size. That is not why I brought those cities up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 11:11 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britney516 View Post
I'm looking to relocate from Northeast PA to SC. I've been debating between North Carolina and South Carolina but SC seems to stand out more. The two areas that I've been researching are Greenville and Rock Hill/Fort Mill. Just wanted to hear other's inputs and preferences on the area. I visited Greenville back in April and really liked it but want to explore options before settling on one.

A little about me: I just recently graduated from college and my husband and I want to venture out and move somewhere while we don't have any big obligations. We like smaller towns and more rural areas but I'm willing to work in the city where there are more jobs.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
You also need to look at all the metrics and costs of each area. Trade-offs versus likes. No area is perfect, so find the area that meets the majority of your criteria. You can get rural pretty quickly from either location. But what do you need to have accessible?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Because yet again...I was comparing what Greenville could/should be to what Birmingham and Orlando is.

You're one of the people I see on here most talking about our annex laws, I don't understand how this is not making sense, or why we're still talking about it.

Again, I do not think Greenville and Orlando are the same size. That is not why I brought those cities up.
I would have understood if you had said from the outset, "If Greenville's municipal population truly reflected its size, it would have about as many people as a, b, c, cities have." But when you started off with "In reality, Greenville is around, if not larger than, Augusta, Durham, Greensboro, Norfolk, Birmingham, even Orlando, and the 3rd largest city in the Carolinas if our annexation laws werent as tight as they are", you muddied the waters because saying "in reality" sounds more like urbanized area or MSA populations, which are more accurate reflections of the true size of a place than municipal populations, which are pretty much arbitrary. It was just a really awkward way of making your point, which is why you got as much pushback as you did.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:53 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,344,590 times
The ultimate choice here is between the greater Greenville metro area or the Charlotte area. Don't get caught up in metro designations or city boundaries. Find an area that is appealing to you based upon local amenities. If you consider Charlotte, there are areas inside the city itself, as well as suburbs such as Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill and Fort Mill. And of course, Greenville could include downtown, or Simpsonville, Greer, Maudlin or Traveler's Rest. Just search for an area that seems appealing to you.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:44 PM

266 posts, read 319,691 times
Fort Mill hands down. This is no question.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Greenville compares more to the Southend, south Charlotte, Southpark, Carollina Place, Ballantyine / Pineville area than to Fort Mill.

Fort Mill does not have a mall or much else. Rock Hill has a small mall.

Charlotte does have a very nice park, Freedom Park, but it isn't walkable from Tryon Street and Uptown.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 PM

159 posts, read 125,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Greenville compares more to the Southend, south Charlotte, Southpark, Carollina Place, Ballantyine / Pineville area than to Fort Mill.

Fort Mill does not have a mall or much else. Rock Hill has a small mall.

Charlotte does have a very nice park, Freedom Park, but it isn't walkable from Tryon Street and Uptown.
No. Greenville has nothing in common with southeast Charlotte......just leave it at that, you don't want to see the comparisons.

Parks...yes, Freedom Park is walkable from downtown via the greenway.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
Parks...yes, Freedom Park is walkable from downtown via the greenway.
the greenway only extends to 7th street, not to Uptown. plus that is a long hike. most of what i mean by walkable is convenient.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

the median age in Greenville is 32.9 and Fort Mill it is 38.5.

Housing costs are in Fort Mill are 51.2 percent more expensive than in Greenville.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:32 AM..

Old 09-10-2016, 01:27 PM

159 posts, read 125,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
the greenway only extends to 7th street, not to Uptown. plus that is a long hike. most of what i mean by walkable is convenient.
so, you think the Greenway is not in downtown Charlotte but Pleasantburg Dr is in downtown Greenville? Downtown Charlotte is very accessible from the Greenway.

Short answer to the OP.........if you want to be in a metro with great job opportunities, tons of amenities, great shopping, world class restaurants etc.....Greenville is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina