Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:47 AM

1,124 posts, read 908,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
Went there yesterday and was pleasantly impressed. There was a lot of activity and people moving about shopping and dining. PREIT the owners of the mall has done an outstanding job in keeping this Mall relevant. Wouldn't surprise me if they ever decide to expand. It appears to be doing just that well to do so.
Here’s hoping they can get one. Columbiana Mall has plenty of activity to add a second story and the originally planned, but unbuilt, fifth anchor pad. But the mall owners seem to just let the lease of one store that does well end to let another one in instead of expanding the mall. Not to mention the outer parking lots need to be turned into outparcels. I hope Magnolia Mall’s owners are smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,842,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
Went there yesterday and was pleasantly impressed. There was a lot of activity and people moving about shopping and dining. PREIT the owners of the mall has done an outstanding job in keeping this Mall relevant. Wouldn't surprise me if they ever decide to expand. It appears to be doing just that well to do so.
I think this is a bad time to see if a mall is going good. Anytime after Thanksgiving all malls are pretty busy. Go in the middle of Feb or March and see if the same activity is there

Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 PM

300 posts, read 450,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I think this is a bad time to see if a mall is going good. Anytime after Thanksgiving all malls are pretty busy. Go in the middle of Feb or March and see if the same activity is there
I agree, I've been there in the "off" time of the year as well and it seems to be doing pretty well.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM

8,140 posts, read 13,195,878 times
Magnolia.. seems to keep a good tenant mix along with low vacancy... which in an era where malls are often falling out of favor is a true victory.. The old Florence Mall being repurposed into a quasi lifestyle center was good too. I think Florence unlike say Columbia never got over populated with malls/strip centers so when the economy or as lifestyle changes occurred it was easy to simply adapt these properties.. Columbia had nearly ten (10) malls at one time.. Bush River Mall, Decker Mall, Woodhill and Outlet Pointe have all faded from memory and been redeveloped/repurposed. Dutch Square, Richland Mall, and Columbia Place still struggle not to mention various strip malls here and there that are struggling. Leaving Sandhills and Columbiana and he premier centers. Killian Crossing and other lifestyle center will soon challenge Sandhills .

Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 PM

5,125 posts, read 7,253,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Here’s hoping they can get one. Columbiana Mall has plenty of activity to add a second story and the originally planned, but unbuilt, fifth anchor pad. But the mall owners seem to just let the lease of one store that does well end to let another one in instead of expanding the mall. Not to mention the outer parking lots need to be turned into outparcels. I hope Magnolia Mall’s owners are smarter.
Columbiana Mall should add a Macy's if the fifth anchor spot is still available. Their current store at Columbia Place is in the declining mall and a poor location. Although they did own the property there. Meanwhile Belk expanded into the old Sears space at Columbiana.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Columbiana Mall should add a Macy's if the fifth anchor spot is still available. Their current store at Columbia Place is in the declining mall and a poor location. Although they did own the property there. Meanwhile Belk expanded into the old Sears space at Columbiana.

Yeah.. Macys could sell their location to Richland County.. as the County owns the other anchor sites already...

Old 12-10-2018, 03:48 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,915,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. Macys could sell their location to Richland County.. as the County owns the other anchor sites already...
True but if they do they may not build elsewhere in the Columbia area. It's kind of rare to see Macy's or other department stores expanding and adding many new full line locations these days and there are only two Macy's stores in the state now. The Carolinas especially being Belk's home turf.

Haven't been to the Columbia Macy's in a while. Have they invested in that location by adding a Backstage store like they did recently in Greenville?

Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
True but if they do they may not build elsewhere in the Columbia area. It's kind of rare to see Macy's or other department stores expanding and adding many new full line locations these days and there are only two Macy's stores in the state now. The Carolinas especially being Belk's home turf.

Haven't been to the Columbia Macy's in a while. Have they invested in that location by adding a Backstage store like they did recently in Greenville?

Last time I was in there.. with the exception of the clothing.. it looked like the backdrop for one of those 80s movies. I was expecting to see Cindy Lauper or Madonna dance through there in one of there videos or better yet Hulk Hogan signing autographs for Hulkamania....that's how 80s it was...

Old 12-17-2018, 05:57 PM

5,125 posts, read 7,253,415 times
There were 2 Rich's dept. stores in Greenville and Columbia which became Macy's. At one time there was an old Davison's dept. store in Downtown Columbia which later became Macy's. It is now closed. I don't think Macy's would want to vacate a major market in the state, but they should look at relocating to the much better mall at Columbiana.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There were 2 Rich's dept. stores in Greenville and Columbia which became Macy's. At one time there was an old Davison's dept. store in Downtown Columbia which later became Macy's. It is now closed. I don't think Macy's would want to vacate a major market in the state, but they should look at relocating to the much better mall at Columbiana.

Yeah.. Columbiana would be ideal for them... I am surprised they have lasted as long as they have at Columbia Place... I forgot all about Rich's and Davidsons.. Along with JC Penny, Belks, Tapps, and JB Whites.. there were quite a few department stores in the Midlands>Its amazing the transition retail has gone through.. K Mart, Brendles (Sam Solomon), Richway, Zayres.... all were Walmart and Target before there were Walmart and Target in this area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina