Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
I guess it's time to dispell myths again. I don't understand why people feel Columbia has no geography and nothing going on. 5pts is a great place to bar hop and shop local...the Vista is emerging as an art, and overall entertainment district. Those 3 rivers are beautiful and with the plans of Innovista, a $75million riverfront park in the works, 7miles [and growing] worth of greenway trails along the rivers [which people tube, kayak, and canoe in daily also], and Lake Murray it's plenty to door outdoors. Like Peach Tree Rock in Lexington county, the Congaree Nation Park [and the hiking trails, birdwatching and canoing there] and more. This city is directly on the Fall line and it's absolute beautiful during the fall season. Let's not forget Little Mountain, Sesquicentennial State Park, USC is a wonderful school with many acclaimed colleges with in it [like the top ranked international business college of 2008].

Sure Columbia took it's sweet time putting emphasis on it's features and focus on downtown, but it's coming together just as well as any other city in the state. Columbia is a wonderful city, growing well and has plenty to do...this area is above sea level at times, and below at other times...this area is full of trees, but also has sandhills and even a desert area.

So if you want foothills...go to greenville or spartanburg...I mean the Upstate [because they never talk about just one city...they all are one...lol] if you want coastal waters...go to Charleston, the grandstrand and the low country.... the truth is that without these "scenic backdrops" this area of the state is still growing just as fast as the rest of them. So while it can be debated all day as to which city is the best...i can tell you Columbia is best to "Me" and my family.
Well there's a place for everyone! And it's true we can debate days on end about which city is best ... but I just wanted to point out that clemson is ranked #67 and USC is ranked #112. Go Tigers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:11 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Clemson University is indeed a very fine school to study and learn. It excels in many ways.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM

293 posts, read 826,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Well there's a place for everyone! And it's true we can debate days on end about which city is best ... but I just wanted to point out that clemson is ranked #67 and USC is ranked #112. Go Tigers!

Nice try RangerDuke and Skyliner...but i've been a Clemson University fan in sports all my life...i've went to numerous football, and basketball games and a couple baseball games over the years. I was going to attend Clemson until my mother fell ill...so i opted to stay closer to home so i could be their for her and work. My cousin just graduated from there last year...i know Clemson is a wonderful institution... This isn't about Clemson or U of SC being a better educational institute...we should be proud that SC has more than 1 institution on that list...plus those 2 colleges don't compete for the same students outside of sports. My other cousin went to U of SC for engineering and when to Clemson for his masters. My friend went to Clemson for Business and ended up going to U of SC for his masters. I've had plenty of high school and college educators that attended both schools. Both are wonderful schools and both Greenville and Columbia are good cities...neither are great right now...but both are making strides to become that way.

One thing you all should know about me is i'm Pro South Carolina and i just don't like misrepresentation of any city period. I've defended or promoted Charleston, Greenville, Beaufort, Spartanburg, Rock Hill and ther SC cities on various forums just like i just did with Columbia.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Nice try RangerDuke and Skyliner...but i've been a Clemson University fan in sports all my life...i've went to numerous football, and basketball games and a couple baseball games over the years. I was going to attend Clemson until my mother fell ill...so i opted to stay closer to home so i could be their for her and work. My cousin just graduated from there last year...i know Clemson is a wonderful institution... This isn't about Clemson or U of SC being a better educational institute...we should be proud that SC has more than 1 institution on that list...plus those 2 colleges don't compete for the same students outside of sports. My other cousin went to U of SC for engineering and when to Clemson for his masters. My friend went to Clemson for Business and ended up going to U of SC for his masters. I've had plenty of high school and college educators that attended both schools. Both are wonderful schools and both Greenville and Columbia are good cities...neither are great right now...but both are making strides to become that way.

One thing you all should know about me is i'm Pro South Carolina and i just don't like misrepresentation of any city period. I've defended or promoted Charleston, Greenville, Beaufort, Spartanburg, Rock Hill and ther SC cities on various forums just like i just did with Columbia.
Hey it was worth a try! I'm just trying to give a fair unbiased view as in pros and cons. I guess it's going to be one of those post that leads off to another topic on someone else's threads. But honestly I traveled far and through all over the U.S. and South Carolina is one of those good few places left. There's still a possibility I might end up in upstate. My personal list I came up with just for cross reference, in no particular order:

1) Greenville, SC
2) Knoxville, TN
3) Fort Collins, CO
4) Helena, MT
5) Sheridan, WY

As you can tell I'm a mountainman, not much I can do about that, but a couple places for those of you considering visiting for summer vacation or even a summer home with great scenary, affordable living, all worthy of all-american towns and all great places to raise kids too.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 PM

293 posts, read 826,512 times
Quote:
Hey it was worth a try! I'm just trying to give a fair unbiased view as in pros and cons. I guess it's going to be one of those post that leads off to another topic on someone else's threads. But honestly I traveled far and through all over the U.S. and South Carolina is one of those good few places left. There's still a possibility I might end up in upstate. My personal list I came up with just for cross reference, in no particular order:

1) Greenville, SC
2) Knoxville, TN
3) Fort Collins, CO
4) Helena, MT
5) Sheridan, WY

As you can tell I'm a mountainman, not much I can do about that, but a couple places for those of you considering visiting for summer vacation or even a summer home with great scenary, affordable living, all worthy of all-american towns and all great places to raise kids too.

Oh yeah i can tell you are a mountain man now...lol...i don't have anything thing against that...lol... I love my state and so pleased when others see that it's a wonderful state also. I know some hate to hear it...but i like the rate of growth SC is growing at...

Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah i can tell you are a mountain man now...lol...i don't have anything thing against that...lol... I love my state and so pleased when others see that it's a wonderful state also. I know some hate to hear it...but i like the rate of growth SC is growing at...
So are you a valleygirl then? Just kidding South Carolina girls are wonderful. Regarding the population growth NC in comparison is going to gain 4.2 million people from 2000-2030 projected so the rate of growth can't be that bad in SC, there's actually a "healthy" growth rate which means people move in and have time to adjust to the local culture,
America's fastest growing states on Google Maps
this is a good map anyone should check out regarding to population growth, as you can see the West (AZ, NV, UT, CO, ID, TX) and the SouthEast (NC, SC, GA, FL) has some of the highest numbers. South Carolina is ranked number 10 at 1.72% a year, a healthy index generally is accepted anywhere in between 1.0% and 2.0%.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
Rangerduke,
I agree with Knoxville, I like it too. It would be on My list also if My wife didn't dislike the Mountians so much! She is a Mega Beach Girl!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:

1) Greenville, SC
2) Knoxville, TN
3) Fort Collins, CO
4) Helena, MT
5) Sheridan, WY

Sounds like we share similar taste and I love Greenville. From your list I've traveled to all except Sheridan.
A few others you might consider that fall into the same type of city are Charlottesville, VA and Spokane, WA (a hidden gem).

If you make it to Upstate, then an advance Welcome!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Sounds like we share similar taste and I love Greenville. From your list I've traveled to all except Sheridan.
A few others you might consider that fall into the same type of city are Charlottesville, VA and Spokane, WA (a hidden gem).

If you make it to Upstate, then an advance Welcome!
Thanks, always been a big fan of Southern hospitality. Have been to Spokane, WA, Eastern Washington is definetly a gem as you know a couple years ago Washington voted to split East and West Washington State, it didn't go so well but it was interesting. Will check out Charlottesville, next time I go out there I'd have to take the Blueridge Parkway all the way up to Shenandoah.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Charleston is a wonderful old southern town. You are close to the beach and the history of the south.

Columbia is in the middle of the state close to the mountains and not so far from the beach. But I understand the summers are very HOT!

Greenville is further from the beach, close to the mountains and there are lots of nice lakes near by. Also, you can visit Charlotte or Atlanta within a few hours.

The downtown area of Greenville is very nice and the job market seems to be very stable.

Of the three, I guess my vote would be Greenville for the reasons mentioned above.

Good luck!

Dunroven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina