U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 12,607 times
I have some good friends who moved from upstate New York and they traded their snowmobile for a boat! I am a mother of two also: 7 and 11. I live in Mt. Pleasant and the schools here are wonderful. My children attend Laurel Hill Primary and Pinckney Elementary. These two schools and the middle school are all on the same horseshoe which makes for easy pickup and the recreation complex is next store for any youth athletics. We are about 1.5hours from Myrtle Beach. Charleston has been voted the top ten friendliest cities in the US several years running. We have rivers, beaches, and tons of things to do any night of the week. Depending on your home criteria and geographic area, price ranges of 3+bd,2+ba newer single-family homes start around $130k. Taxes on a $200k home would be less than $1000 per year. I am a Charleston native and doubt I will ever leave. I hope you make a trip to experience the city.

Last edited by Rapture; 06-30-2008 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 12,607 times
Since you are moving... I am a Charleston native and can tell you some of the high points to check out while you are here!! Lots of things to do in the summer, just about every night of the week. I highly recommend visiting during Spoleto Festival USA which is end of May through mid June. This is an international festival and is only held in three cities in the world!! Everything from Blues/Jazz to Opera to Art, etc. Welcome to Charleston!!

Last edited by Rapture; 06-30-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,116 times
We are also from Upstate NY looking to relocate to South Carolina. Would love to be at the most a 30 minute drive from the beach. I have 4 children still in school, so that is a priority. My husband is a Union Electrician and hopes to find work there. We are really into motocross as well. Have you had any luck with finding a place?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:10 PM

3,554 posts, read 8,723,401 times
Talking warm weather here we come

we have been looking for homes up in the sumter and columbia area. i just can't wait to get down there so i can put more miles on my motorcycle and less on my car. if you know what i mean.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 PM

29,079 posts, read 33,061,978 times
Where in Upstate NY is everyone from? I notice that a lot of Upstate NY'ers move to the Carolinas. Actually, my sis is a teacher in a Charlotte elementary school and my mom is from Mullins, SC, a town in between Myrtle Beach and South of the Border/Dillon area. Mullins is close to Florence too. Nice area and the people are friendly too.

By the way, I'm from the Syracuse area.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM

549 posts, read 1,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Before you do anything, make sure there is employment that suits you. Although there are jobs down in Myrtle Beach, most are geared more toward the service industry or real estate development (which has slowed down a bit).
OP: Please, Please, PLEASE heed this advice.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 68,498 times
the real estate prices sound great!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 31,393 times
You want to check the schools before you make the move. I moved from a bigger city and was completely disappointed with the ENTIRE school system here! From the bus drivers to the teachers up to the administration. My child goes to one of the better schools too. South Carolina is not known for it's public schools...if you know what I mean. If you do choose to live here, try the Forestbrook Elem area. It is a blue ribbon school and I have heard nothing but good things about it. However, it feeds into Forestbrook Middle (Ok school) and Socastee High. Socastee High is actually listed as one of the top high schools, BUT it is surrounded by neighborhoods that are less then desirable and that brings a lot of crime to the school. Carolina Forest schools seem to be the overall winner as far as the best here. Seaside Elem in Garden City is an excellent school, however, I have heard bad things about the schools it feeds into. Hope this helps.....

Old 07-26-2008, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
My whole family is actually from upstate NY, and most of moved to SC hoping for some of the same changes you are looking for. Incidentally, we have regretted it ever since.
I can't say enough against moving to SC. I've often thought NC or even DC area would have been better. No matter where you move in SC somehow everyone will know everyone else's business.. I don't know why, we just blame it on that wonderfully obnoxious "southern charm". One thing you will learn with time (should you decide to move to SC) is that southerners in general are big on double talk. Saying one thing to your face and another behind your back is big here, not that it isn't found everywhere just for some reason it's found more so here. A huge smile and "oh bless your heart" phrase is just a cover; I sound silly but it's really true.

Also, it took me awhile to learn not to say I was from NY, let alone upstate NY... unless you are almost positive you are talking to someone who is also from NY.
Here in the south you won't make friends fast if you're a northerner, maybe something to do with the war??...so ridiculous. Anyhow, for some reason there is an idea that people from NY are snooty or hard to handle. The humidity is unbearable, if you've oily skin you're dooooomed. Mosquito's and roaches are just common place to have around, oh and we have "Palmetto Bugs" (flying roaches) here. The winters are non existent, obviously, and after two years of absolutely not a speck of snow not even a snow flake yet still freezing temperatures, I began to miss the snow.

The beaches are nice, but even better up north.. yes there is a longer period to enjoy the beaches here but they just aren't as beautiful (in my opinion).

Some of the good things I can say about South Carolina:

Sweet Tea.
Boiled Peanuts.

Ok. So, I hope you've found this informative!

Good luck on the move you guys.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 PM

543 posts, read 1,512,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordbears View Post
You want to check the schools before you make the move. I moved from a bigger city and was completely disappointed with the ENTIRE school system here! From the bus drivers to the teachers up to the administration. My child goes to one of the better schools too. South Carolina is not known for it's public schools...if you know what I mean. If you do choose to live here, try the Forestbrook Elem area. It is a blue ribbon school and I have heard nothing but good things about it. However, it feeds into Forestbrook Middle (Ok school) and Socastee High. Socastee High is actually listed as one of the top high schools, BUT it is surrounded by neighborhoods that are less then desirable and that brings a lot of crime to the school. Carolina Forest schools seem to be the overall winner as far as the best here. Seaside Elem in Garden City is an excellent school, however, I have heard bad things about the schools it feeds into. Hope this helps.....
I graduated from Socastee High, my husband graduated from Socastee High, my stepchildren graduated from Socastee High, my brother attends Socastee High and last but not least, my daughter attends Socastee High. Nothing bad to report even within those "less desirable" neighborhoods. Also, I can't think of any significant crime at our school. Either I am out of the loop or I just do not know.

Forestbrook Elem. is a great school. Again, the stepchildren and my children have attended school there. The only issue now is that it is becoming overcrowded.

Everyone raves over Carolina Forest but I have known several parents who have pulled their children out of the high school there for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina