Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 PM

23 posts, read 114,258 times

Advertisements

You are a mighty bitter person. I'm from SC and I promise you I don't have to talk behind anyone's back. I'm woman enough to say things to your face or not say them at all. As do all the people I know and love in SC.... My guess is you picked the wrong group to befriend or perhaps make enemies with. I'm sure if you have this kind of attitude in the real world people are most likely snickering behind your back at how close minded you are about a wonderful state with a lot of great things to offer.

If you hate SC so much then go back to NY or something. No one is forcing you to stay. I'm sure a few on here would agree when I say and I'm sure no one will miss you and your bad attitude when (if) you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanOSU View Post
My whole family is actually from upstate NY, and most of moved to SC hoping for some of the same changes you are looking for. Incidentally, we have regretted it ever since.
I can't say enough against moving to SC. I've often thought NC or even DC area would have been better. No matter where you move in SC somehow everyone will know everyone else's business.. I don't know why, we just blame it on that wonderfully obnoxious "southern charm". One thing you will learn with time (should you decide to move to SC) is that southerners in general are big on double talk. Saying one thing to your face and another behind your back is big here, not that it isn't found everywhere just for some reason it's found more so here. A huge smile and "oh bless your heart" phrase is just a cover; I sound silly but it's really true.

Also, it took me awhile to learn not to say I was from NY, let alone upstate NY... unless you are almost positive you are talking to someone who is also from NY.
Here in the south you won't make friends fast if you're a northerner, maybe something to do with the war??...so ridiculous. Anyhow, for some reason there is an idea that people from NY are snooty or hard to handle. The humidity is unbearable, if you've oily skin you're dooooomed. Mosquito's and roaches are just common place to have around, oh and we have "Palmetto Bugs" (flying roaches) here. The winters are non existent, obviously, and after two years of absolutely not a speck of snow not even a snow flake yet still freezing temperatures, I began to miss the snow.

The beaches are nice, but even better up north.. yes there is a longer period to enjoy the beaches here but they just aren't as beautiful (in my opinion).

Some of the good things I can say about South Carolina:

Sweet Tea.
Boiled Peanuts.

Ok. So, I hope you've found this informative!

Good luck on the move you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Default Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanOSU View Post
My whole family is actually from upstate NY, and most of moved to SC hoping for some of the same changes you are looking for. Incidentally, we have regretted it ever since.
I can't say enough against moving to SC. I've often thought NC or even DC area would have been better. No matter where you move in SC somehow everyone will know everyone else's business.. I don't know why, we just blame it on that wonderfully obnoxious "southern charm". One thing you will learn with time (should you decide to move to SC) is that southerners in general are big on double talk. Saying one thing to your face and another behind your back is big here, not that it isn't found everywhere just for some reason it's found more so here. A huge smile and "oh bless your heart" phrase is just a cover; I sound silly but it's really true.

Also, it took me awhile to learn not to say I was from NY, let alone upstate NY... unless you are almost positive you are talking to someone who is also from NY.
Here in the south you won't make friends fast if you're a northerner, maybe something to do with the war??...so ridiculous. Anyhow, for some reason there is an idea that people from NY are snooty or hard to handle. The humidity is unbearable, if you've oily skin you're dooooomed. Mosquito's and roaches are just common place to have around, oh and we have "Palmetto Bugs" (flying roaches) here. The winters are non existent, obviously, and after two years of absolutely not a speck of snow not even a snow flake yet still freezing temperatures, I began to miss the snow.

The beaches are nice, but even better up north.. yes there is a longer period to enjoy the beaches here but they just aren't as beautiful (in my opinion).

Some of the good things I can say about South Carolina:

Sweet Tea.
Boiled Peanuts.

Ok. So, I hope you've found this informative!

Good luck on the move you guys.

Gone back home yet, Snowbird?
Its a different culture down here, and you either get used to it and love it or you dont.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 10,841 times
Default Carolina Forest

I live in carolina forest and it is great the school are rank at the top if not #1 in the state.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times
Well Susan i am sorry you are so unhappy here maybe it is time for a change..I have a good friend from Buffalo and we get along fine...Did you ever think maybe you should shoulder some of the blame? Getting back on topic,my town is a couple of hours from both the moutains and ocean and we have both low crime and good schools check us out at City of Aiken Home: City of Aiken, South Carolina....

Old 09-28-2008, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,849 times
I am from North Carolina raised in California I also looking to move to the Florence area of SC not cause I want to because that is where the job opportunities is taking me. Shrugs but I am not having any luck. And I am also fearful of the culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina