Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times

Advertisements

Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:03 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok, i disagree with you on that. this is my point, some people arbritrarily reduce the size of Greenville's downtown in a way that would be similar to reducing Charleston's downtown to the restaurant / bar/ retail portion of King Street.
I don't completely disagree with that because Charleston's downtown has more defined boundaries as the peninsula and Greenville really does not have boarders that so strongly define downtown like that so its much more debatable as to what is or is not downtown Greenville.

That being said, really the only perception of a boarder for downtown Greenville is the CBD boarder and the drastic change that character and zoning as you exit the CBD and make your way into one of the neighborhoods that boarder it.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
what areas of downtown Charleston do you find desirable to live in? I don't think i would care to live anywhere north of Calhoun. when I lived there, i was always told not to go north of Calhoun.

so that leaves a very small area with a lot of expensive housing.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
what areas of downtown Charleston do you find desirable to live in? I don't think i would care to live anywhere north of Calhoun. when I lived there, i was always told not to go north of Calhoun.

It doesn't really matter if the area is desirable or not as to whether it is counted as downtown.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:14 PM

yes but you were talking about demographics and how they change in the downtown area of Greenville in your previous post. i think downtown Charleston is similar to Greenville in that regard. downtown Charleston is actually one of the best examples of a stark rich-poor stratification. i think Greenville has more middle class housing in the downtown area.

you may have some kind of auto spelling thing going on but it is spelled 'border'.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
yes but you were talking about demographics in your previous post.

you may have some kind of auto spelling thing going on but it is spelled 'border'.
Ah good save, thanks for that.

I was indeed speaking on demographics but demographics themselves do not dictate the border (at lease not always).

I think where we are failing to see eye to eye here is that you are referring to downtown Greenville in more of an anecdotal way in which most people would "consider this downtown" and I am looking at it from the border of the Central Business District which is what they use to measure the population of a downtown area with typically.

Don't get me wrong, I live in Overbrook and still think of it as downtown so anecdotally I completely agree with you but that is not how they measure downtown's population.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:28 PM

i don't see a lot of vertical housing around Charleston's CBD. i see a lot of high rises around Main Street in Greenville now. Cola has a lot of residential high rises too, mostly USC related.

regardless of the footprint of the two downtowns, i don't get how Charleston can be more dense without more vertical housing.

my theory is many people think it is more dense because of the tourists downtown and the peninsula geography. it is like an optical illusion.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-10-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 04:18 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times
Quote:

Well your comment means you haven't been to Charleston for at least 10 years ...gentrification north of Calhoun has made the area a real estate hot spot for that long ... and continues to be today....opinions don't matter ... facts do ..

Old 04-10-2017, 04:23 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:

Kinda dating yourself with this remark. North of Calhoun is where everybody is moving and where all the development is. North of Calhoun doesn't have the height restrictions of the lower peninsula. Not only are the buildings taller but they have a massive footprint as well.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Well your comment means you haven't been to Charleston for at least 10 years ...gentrification north of Calhoun has made the area a real estate hot spot for that long ... and continues to be today....opinions don't matter ... facts do ..

i don't remember remember saying it has been 10 years since I was last in Charleston. I was down there a few months ago. It has been 10 years since I've lived in Charleston.

i never said that nobody lived north of Calhoun but I think there are a lot of people who would not want to live north of Calhoun, especially north of the crosstown road, similar to how some people would not want to live in certain areas of downtown Greenville. i was responding to another person's comment about demographics in downtown Greenville.

gentrification north of Calhoun isn't evidence the downtown is more dense than Columbia and Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-10-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina