Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:39 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Students are not counted in the numbers if they aren't permanent residents.
The census bureau counts students living in dorms as residents of the city where their dorms are. It's about where they are laying their heads to sleep in April of the census year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 05:46 PM

If three cities are basically the same size metro-wise not including the rural parts of the counties in their MSA's, but one city's boundaries take up 25 square miles and the other two cities' boundaries take up 75 square miles, because cities generally have denser population in their cores, the city with the smaller number of square miles is bound to have more people per square mile. That's just the way it works.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
you aren't explaining how it is more dense without more vertical housing. the people have to live somewhere.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:20 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i don't remember remember saying it has been 10 years since I was last in Charleston. I was down there a few months ago. It has been 10 years since I've lived in Charleston.

i never said that nobody lived north of Calhoun but I think there are a lot of people who would not want to live north of Calhoun, especially north of the crosstown road, similar to how some people would not want to live in certain areas of downtown Greenville. i was responding to another person's comment about demographics in downtown Greenville.

gentrification north of Calhoun isn't evidence the downtown is more dense than Columbia and Greenville.
You might not, but people are renting houses for over $4k a month in that part of town.
The buildings replacing the dilapidated warehouses and parking lots are all massive hotel and apartment buildings.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 PM

There's vertical housing in all three cities downtown.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you aren't explaining how it is more dense without more vertical housing. the people have to live somewhere.
Ive already explained this to you multiple times, you pack in. LA packs 4 million people in 469 sq miles - with a dominant lower-density apartment and single family home set up. That is possible because LA is packed like sardines. Same with DC...same with Brooklyn, same with downtown Charleston. Whether you feel that way or not, it is true.

You call it an optical illusion and say people are counting whatever...but there 36,000 residents. Counting them and doing basic math, you get the numbers that you get. You are literally arguing with logic for the sake of it.

And again, most towers in Columbia and Greenville are commercial. Windstream, BOA, BB&T, TD Bank, Capital Center, Liberty Plce, Gervais Tower, Wells Fargo...people do not live there. They are commercial buildings taking up space. You act like they are Miami condos.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
There's vertical housing in all three cities downtown.
I understand that.

My point is, i see the assertion that downtown Charleston has far greater density than Columbia and Greenville but I don't think Charleston has more vertical housing downtown than the other two. I feel like the house sizes and lots are about the same size in the urban areas of all three, comparing poor areas to poor and affluent to affluent.

Having lived in all 3 cities, I never had the impression Charleston had a greater population density. They feel about the same size and density to me. anyway, it doesn't matter one way or another.

i would think if there was much greater population density in downtown Charleston than the other two, it would have more grocery stores chains. As far as I know there is only one south of Crosstown, the Harris Teeter, and I think a Food Lion north of Crosstown. I assume all the affluent people in downtown Charleston are going to that Harris Teeter.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-10-2017 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 10:02 PM

I'm talking about a bigger area for each city than the immediate downtown. Charleston's city limits go all the way out to the historic plantation district and include undeveloped areas elsewhere. Columbia has Fort Jackson in it boundaries. That kind of uninhabited space dilutes the number of people per square mile, which is the definition of population density. I don't think the city limits of Greenville have nearly the same degree of uninhabited space.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 AM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I'm talking about a bigger area for each city than the immediate downtown. Charleston's city limits go all the way out to the historic plantation district and include undeveloped areas elsewhere. Columbia has Fort Jackson in it boundaries. That kind of uninhabited space dilutes the number of people per square mile, which is the definition of population density. I don't think the city limits of Greenville have nearly the same degree of uninhabited space.
Indeed but going off this basis Summerville has a high population density than Greenville.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Indeed but going off this basis Summerville has a high population density than Greenville.
It may indeed. I haven't looked at those figures. It depends on how wide the city boundaries are and on how many people live within the city boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina