Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,957,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
there aren't that many multi story residential buildings in downtown Charleston. there are height restrictions. it is not Manhattan.

how many families are living in the affluent part of downtown Charleston? Those homes are probably owned by mostly older retired couples.

I can't find any source on the internet that indicates 'Downtown Charleston's pop density is between 4,500-7,200' as was claimed by a person upthread.

the highest population density figure that I've seen for the urbanized Charleston-North Charleston area is 1870.
Yup the Charleston metro's urbanized population is about 548.4k, Columbia's is 549.8 and Greenvilles is 400.5k. Bare in mind those are urban area populations as of 2010. Since then the Charleston metro has increased by 97k, Columbia by 50k and Greenville by 60k. So it's likely Charleston is still far denser than either of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Yup the Charleston metro's urbanized population is about 548.4k, Columbia's is 549.8 and Greenvilles is 400.5k. Bare in mind those are urban area populations as of 2010. Since then the Charleston metro has increased by 97k, Columbia by 50k and Greenville by 60k. So it's likely Charleston is still far denser than either of them
Can you cite a source that indicates the density is far greater in Charleston than Greenville and Columbia.

that doesn't make much sense given there isn't much high rise housing in Charleston.

you are citing overall population above , to include outside of the downtown areas, not density numbers.

the population number you cite for Greenville is leaving out both Spartanburg and Anderson's population.

The Greenville-Mauldin-Anderson MSA is more populated than the Charleston-North Charleston MSA. It is 884,975 people. Spartanburg's MSA is another 329,000.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-09-2017 at 01:06 AM..

Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:

it doesn't make any sense to me that downtown Charleston is significantly more dense than downtown Greenville and Columbia given given it is has height restrictions and is an expensive area which should mean less families are living there.
I have first hand knowledge of downtown's real estate. Most of the houses downtown are families, including the mansions. Not retirees. One of the most expensive houses downtown is a family of 4. Expense does not matter when people can afford it, and people can.

Greenville and Columbia's tallest buildings are office buildings. That is a reason why their downtowns are less dense. Charleston's job centers are more spread out, so there is more room for residences downtown. I dont know the last time you've been to Charleston, but downtown is a pretty tight squeeze. Greenville and Columbia are tight in spots, but still have more room, and more offices.

And Charleston's height restrictions are not that drastic. Many 8-9 stories are currently being built, with 10+ stories coming soon. Mostly residences and hotels. You act like there's a 2 story limit. And you can have density with restrictions. Washington DC, Savannah, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles, and again, Washington DC.

Quote:
You haven't provided any sources of that density figure that you gave.
Maybe because it's elementary math? Downtown Charleston is either 4.5 or 8 sq miles depending on which definition you use. There are 36,000 permanent people living downtown. Do the math.

Quote:
you've also implied that the burbs are less dense but according to that chart that I linked to, burbs like Mauldin, Simpsonville, Lexington, and Summerville are among the most dense areas of the state. this makes sense to me because the burbs are where most of the families are.
Suburbs are generally less dense. If Mauldin and Simpsonville annexed around them, the numbers would go down. They are packed, but become less so as they spread out, like every city. And all those cities are significantly larger than they appear, especially Summerville.

Quote:
I never said it is a competition.
It clearly is since you're so adamant about it.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 04-09-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Why can't you cite a source that indicates your Charleston population density number? if you cite sources that show it has a higher population density, I will accept it. I'm open minded on this.

Expressing skepticism about something you claim about Charleston doesn't mean I think it is is a competition. I don't think greater population density is a pro as you do so it doesn't make sense to assert that I view it as a competition. I can just as easily accuse you of being competitive.

I simply don't understand how a downtown area that has height restrictions has a more dense population. I've lived in all 3 of SC's large metros and I never had the impression Charleston was more dense.

The density figure that you gave for downtown Charleston would make it as dense as the NYC and LA urbanized areas per this table. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-09-2017 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 AM

https://charleston.com/downtown-charleston-about

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1425

Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 AM

i don't see your population density figure in those links.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:
i simply don't understand how a downtown area that has height restrictions has a more dense population. I've lived in all 3 of SC's large metros and I never had the impression Charleston was more dense.
Look at Washington dc. Height restrictions but has more people in their downtown than charlotte or jacksonville fl for example.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Look at Washington dc. Height restrictions but has more people in their downtown than charlotte or jacksonville fl for example.
a higher population doesn't necessarily mean a higher population density.

are you saying there are more people on average living in each house and apartment in DC than in Charlotte and Jacksonville?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
i don't see your population density figure in those links.
I said do the math. Both of those sheets have the sq mileage at 4-5 or 8. There are ~ 36,000 permanent residents downtown today.

PD = #p/la

36,000/4.5 = 8,000
36,000/8 = 4,500

Old 04-09-2017, 10:36 AM

ok, that number indicates downtown Charleston has the density of the urbanized area of NYC and LA, despite the height restrictions on buildings in Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina