Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:27 PM

496 posts, read 466,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
It's not the actual storm itself that is the big problem, it is the storm surge. While surge is a risk with waterfront land, anywhere in SC can flood, and does. Take a look at the 2015 storm. That actually did more damage to Columbia and the interior than it did to low lying Charleston. SC's rivers and lakes can be a problem.

Hurricanes are something that's on SC's mind come every fall, but they're much rarer than you think. And while Aiken and Greenville aren't near the ocean, they're not eliminated from weather risk.
I'm not a fan of water, any water. I can appreciate a pretty waterfall etc. but hate being near swamps and wetland. With the chance of cottonmouth snakes, the farther away from water the better. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 02:48 PM

127 posts, read 138,836 times
Check out Landrum, SC. Right on the SC/NC border north of Spartanburg.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:58 PM

226 posts, read 368,739 times
I'm from Aiken originally, and go back several times of year. It's a sweet little town, but growing for sure. Downtown is vibrant and nice, and you tend to know someone who knows ' your people (family) anywhere you go. You won't be without the standard chain restaurants and stores (although I didn't see an Olive Garden last time we were in town, there were rumors of one coming soon!). There are also lots of locally owned shops and businesses that are great. There is always some weather risk of course, but it isn't bad. We never got the brunt of a hurricane that I can remember (im nearly 30) although we usually would have an ice storm once every couple of years. Check it out but don't discount other small towns either. I'm not sure of your age, but Aiken is very popular with retirees moving south also.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarfield View Post
I'm from Aiken originally, and go back several times of year. It's a sweet little town, but growing for sure. Downtown is vibrant and nice, and you tend to know someone who knows ' your people (family) anywhere you go. You won't be without the standard chain restaurants and stores (although I didn't see an Olive Garden last time we were in town, there were rumors of one coming soon!). There are also lots of locally owned shops and businesses that are great. There is always some weather risk of course, but it isn't bad. We never got the brunt of a hurricane that I can remember (im nearly 30) although we usually would have an ice storm once every couple of years. Check it out but don't discount other small towns either. I'm not sure of your age, but Aiken is very popular with retirees moving south also.
Thanks for the information. My husband and I are in our mid 40s. We have 2 adult children and our youngest is going to be 12 so he will be coming with us. I will be able to work right out of my home (I sell health/accident/life insurance) so anywhere there is high speed internet, I can work. My husband runs heavy equipment so I'm pretty sure he will find a job quickly. The company he works for (the last 7 yrs) has a sister company that's world wide and they have offices in most states, SC is one of them. That would be great since he wouldn't lose his seniority with the company.

I'm selling my horses before we move but do have large dogs. I was thinking of renting first but not many places will rent to you when you have dogs that way over 100lb each. So, might have to buy right off.

Dawn

Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 PM

You will be in good company with other horse lovers in Aiken, there is a good sized community of English and Western style riders. I would look for anything managed by the property owner (Zillow could be helpful there) or look for a real estate company that deals with horse properties. I know you won't be bringing your horses, but most horse folks that come down also have large dogs so they may be more able to help you find a rental that would accept your pets. Carolina Company and Meybohm both come to mind but there are others as well.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
When I imagine moving to South Carolina, I picture a quint village with nice homes that have a nice porch with a swing on it, front yard with Wisteria and flowering trees. People wave and say hi as they walk by your home while you swing and enjoy a cold drink.

Is there such a place in SC?

I'm thinking of Aiken. Anyone else has any ideas that would fit the bill for my nice little house in a quaint village?
Some of the smaller towns around the Upstate still have that. In fact, I was passing through Laurens recently and saw one of the older houses with the big "wrap around" porch being renovated..

Talk to a realtor and describe what you're looking for - but yes, that does still exist. Sounds nice.. good luck!

Old 04-22-2017, 01:43 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarfield View Post
What about crime? Every site that rates crime indicates Aiken is dangerous.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM

I lived there for 26 years of my life and I think we had a break in once while we were out of town when I was a little kid, but I don't remember it. We never had problems other than that. As with most places, when you are driving around you will know if you're in an unsafe area. Most crime is concentrated in neighborhoods that I doubt you would be interested in such as Crosland Park.

Last edited by kwarfield; 04-22-2017 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-22-2017, 10:47 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
When I imagine moving to South Carolina, I picture a quint village with nice homes that have a nice porch with a swing on it, front yard with Wisteria and flowering trees. People wave and say hi as they walk by your home while you swing and enjoy a cold drink.

Is there such a place in SC?

I'm not worried about night life; my husband and I love quiet evenings at home. Fine dining: happy with a bbq/cookout and maybe get fancied up and go to the Olive Garden. I dislike shopping so do most of it online.

I'd like to make new friends, go out to lunch, that sort of thing. I have dogs so would like a fenced yard for them. Going to be going to dog shows.

I will be working from home; I just need high speed internet.

I'm thinking of Aiken. Anyone else has any ideas that would fit the bill for my nice little house in a quaint village?
Pawley's Island, Bull's Bay, and McClellanville (the high speed internet may be sketchy) come to mind. Beaufort is still quaint and has better internet.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Pawley's Island, Bull's Bay, and McClellanville (the high speed internet may be sketchy) come to mind. Beaufort is still quaint and has better internet.
What is beaufort like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina