U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 33,296 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you know what you're talking about in comparing SC to CT. My husband and I and two small children are talking about moving there to escape the high cost of living in CT, but I'm not sold on the sacrifices we may have to make by moving. Any input you have would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 9,560 times
Default SC Vehicle Taxes

I just moved back home to SC from Virginia and am about to go to pay my vehicle taxes and hope I just come back with a little bit of my blood...I think it is going to cost me about 5K to be able to drive in SC...but I do love it here and I am so happy to be home. About the time I moved to Virginia they were in the process of doing away with vehicle taxes and I wish I had paid more attention to exactly how they did it. It seems like for the first couple of years the taxes diminished until it went down to $50.00 per vehicle. I am not in love with Virginia by any means...but they did manage to do a good job on this one and maintain good highways at the same time. SC has been talking for years about doing away with car taxes but it has just been talk..they say it can't be done...maybe they need to look at how Virginia did it. Obviously it can be done without raising taxes in other places...they DO have car inspections which IS a good thing...yes, it is a pain when it is your turn but...it makes the roads safer. All in all I am SO happy to be back home I am not going to complain too much about paying these taxes on these vehicles...I do think the issue of either removing or lessening the vehicle taxes should be rexamined. It HAS been demonstrated that it can be done but as long as folks sit still for it Politicians are going to just keep picking their pockets...it is easy revenue. In another post someone asked about SC as far as education is concerned...I believe she had a child with educational challenges. I raised a deaf child who graduated in 1995 and was mainstreamed. Of course we moved throughout the Southeast during her childhood. Things hopefully have changed for the better...HOPEFULLY! I found schools just did not want responsibilty and pretty much did what they HAD to do to fulfill their legal obligation to her. I ended up taking charge and going to school with her and interpreting. She graduated with honors and ended up believe it or not at The College of New Jersey and made the Deans List each semester.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 PM

340 posts, read 956,715 times
I just checked on this last week becasue we will be moving to York County in a few months.

For York County you can call 803-909-7171 to get an estimate of your tax. I was told for a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo it will be about $430 and for a 2004 Hyundai Accent about $130. $24 for 2 years on the plates. $15 for new title. Driver's License is $25 good for 10 years.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM

479 posts, read 1,437,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCharlotte View Post
I just checked on this last week becasue we will be moving to York County in a few months.

For York County you can call 803-909-7171 to get an estimate of your tax. I was told for a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo it will be about $430 and for a 2004 Hyundai Accent about $130. $24 for 2 years on the plates. $15 for new title. Driver's License is $25 good for 10 years.
did you transpose those numbers? wouldn't it be $130 for the 2002, and $430for the 2004?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM

479 posts, read 1,437,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinland View Post
I just moved back home to SC from Virginia and am about to go to pay my vehicle taxes and hope I just come back with a little bit of my blood...I think it is going to cost me about 5K to be able to drive in SC...but I do love it here and I am so happy to be home. About the time I moved to Virginia they were in the process of doing away with vehicle taxes and I wish I had paid more attention to exactly how they did it. It seems like for the first couple of years the taxes diminished until it went down to $50.00 per vehicle. I am not in love with Virginia by any means...but they did manage to do a good job on this one and maintain good highways at the same time. SC has been talking for years about doing away with car taxes but it has just been talk..they say it can't be done...maybe they need to look at how Virginia did it. Obviously it can be done without raising taxes in other places...they DO have car inspections which IS a good thing...yes, it is a pain when it is your turn but...it makes the roads safer. All in all I am SO happy to be back home I am not going to complain too much about paying these taxes on these vehicles...I do think the issue of either removing or lessening the vehicle taxes should be rexamined. It HAS been demonstrated that it can be done but as long as folks sit still for it Politicians are going to just keep picking their pockets...it is easy revenue. In another post someone asked about SC as far as education is concerned...I believe she had a child with educational challenges. I raised a deaf child who graduated in 1995 and was mainstreamed. Of course we moved throughout the Southeast during her childhood. Things hopefully have changed for the better...HOPEFULLY! I found schools just did not want responsibilty and pretty much did what they HAD to do to fulfill their legal obligation to her. I ended up taking charge and going to school with her and interpreting. She graduated with honors and ended up believe it or not at The College of New Jersey and made the Deans List each semester.
part of prop taxes is paid on your house, and part of your vehicle. if you drive older vehicles, you won't have to pay as much. bites on newer vehicles. they are talking about raising the sales tax, and lowering prop tax on primary residence. VA prop taxes are probably higher than SC, so you still come out with less here (I would think).

Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
did you transpose those numbers? wouldn't it be $130 for the 2002, and $430for the 2004?
No I didn't. It is actually more for the Jeep the the Hyundai.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 PM

29 posts, read 76,125 times
Just for that reason I plan to NEVER have a new car! I'm escaping 15,000 year real estate taxes in NY I'll be darn if I fork it over thru a vehicle tax! Now here's something I can control! In February I bought 03 CRV with 82K miles and a 93 Toyota Corolla with 182K miles, maybe I'll get some money from DMV for driving an old car?!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:23 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,565,719 times
Well living in York County and paying <500 for property tax on my home I'll be ok with the vehicle tax. Not to say things are better in NY, but you just go to the dmv when you purchase a car and if its from a private seller they can write you a receipt for a $1...nothing notarized or anything just a written receipt. You pay the state sales tax in addition to local sales tax, 8% as an example, pay 8 cents and be done, no annual tax. But NY gets you plenty of other places. You do have an annula inspection and emission test though and they are generally strict.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys99 View Post
Just for that reason I plan to NEVER have a new car! I'm escaping 15,000 year real estate taxes in NY I'll be darn if I fork it over thru a vehicle tax! Now here's something I can control! In February I bought 03 CRV with 82K miles and a 93 Toyota Corolla with 182K miles, maybe I'll get some money from DMV for driving an old car?!
New car or old car, you will still pay property tax on it every year!!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,565,719 times
I have a 2001 Buick Century and they told me on the phone the tax will be about $125. This is because I am an the unincorporated part of Fort Mill in York County. It would have been more if I was in the town limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina