U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 342,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusey1 View Post
I presently resides between New Haven County in CT and the Upper Westside in NYC, I also have a Home in Chesterfield County, SC. My friends think I am crazy to move my three younger kids (12,13,14) to SC with the State's educational problems. I have not spent much time there but the little time I did I know I love it, I really do love my home in SC, I love the fact that I can spend my mornings walking on my 9+ acrees of land and that I don't even need to get dressed as my neighbour is so far away he cannot see me or I him. However, with all that I have heard I am a little worried, as my children will be attending Cheraw's public school as they will have to travel 30 miles return to school each day and the one private school in the area does not accept kids with special needs as they do not have the services to offer them. I just wanted know if anyone had any information on the Cheraw public schools, especially the high school. I would love any takes on this, I must say I love the low, taxes, insurance rates and the winters in SC. Please someone give me some advice. Thanks for taking time to read and looking forward to advice.
A friend of mine used to live in NORTH CAROLINA before moving to SOUTH CAROLINA and now they long for it. You will pay 4 times (Yes, 400%!) more in Vehicle Personal Property Tax in SC than in NC. Same identical car that one pays $115 PPT in NC one will pay about $460 PPT in SC. My 10 year old car cost me $18 in PPT in NC. 2 years later, in SC now a 12 year old car costs me $83 in PPT in SC! The property tax is same or higher in SC. Sales tax just went up 1% from 6% to 7% in SC. Gasoline is slightly cheaper in SC. That's about savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys99 View Post
Just for that reason I plan to NEVER have a new car! I'm escaping 15,000 year real estate taxes in NY I'll be darn if I fork it over thru a vehicle tax! Now here's something I can control! In February I bought 03 CRV with 82K miles and a 93 Toyota Corolla with 182K miles, maybe I'll get some money from DMV for driving an old car?!
Yes, don't buy a new car, drive an old junk, or even better, buy a nice OLD car with high mileage on it, fix it up and drive it to your and your pocket's health. The hell with environment... If this is how SC takes care of the environment then they'll be the first to be cooked in the global warming owen.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 PM

575 posts, read 3,353,620 times
This is no different than vehicle excise tax I pay every year in MA., (on 7 personal vehicles) though your per thousand rate may be different.
--------------------
Excise tax, at the rate of $25 per one thousand dollars of valuation is levied on each motor vehicle. Information on the value of a motor vehicle is accessed electronically through a data bank complete with valuation figures. Different sources provide the valuation figures depending upon whether the motor vehicle is an automobile, a truck, a motorcycle, or a trailer.
-------
We all get bent over one way - like prop tax or another like sales, excise and on and on.

Though we will not see it in our life time it will cease, the people will revolt, overthrow the government or what ever it takes......... history dictates it.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM

24 posts, read 108,774 times
I have a guide to moving to SC in front of me. It tells me I must show proof that I paid sales tax when I purchased my vehicle. I have the bill of sale. In NJ I pay about 68.50 registration anually on a 2002 Ford Excursion. In SC you must pay a percentage of the value yearly? I am confused. If someone can elaborate I would appreciate it.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Default SCDMV and SCDOR links

These are useful links for you:

SCDMV Online: Vehicle Title & Registration (http://www.scdmvonline.com/VehTR.aspx - broken link)

Moving to South Carolina Tax Guide

Property Tax Guide (http://www.sctax.org/publications/propguid99.html - broken link)

South Carolina Tax Summary

Getting Rid of the Vehicle Tax in South Carolina: Watch for a Political Shell Game

Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 PM

95 posts, read 332,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townofnorthdotcom View Post
A friend of mine used to live in NORTH CAROLINA before moving to SOUTH CAROLINA and now they long for it. You will pay 4 times (Yes, 400%!) more in Vehicle Personal Property Tax in SC than in NC. Same identical car that one pays $115 PPT in NC one will pay about $460 PPT in SC. My 10 year old car cost me $18 in PPT in NC. 2 years later, in SC now a 12 year old car costs me $83 in PPT in SC! The property tax is same or higher in SC. Sales tax just went up 1% from 6% to 7% in SC. Gasoline is slightly cheaper in SC. That's about savings.
I used to live in North Carolina and moved to South Carolina. I don't long for the taxes in North Carolina. To a previous poster you do get a discount on automobile property taxes if the car in question has 100k+ miles on it. Taxes on 2 cars, registrations for both vehicles, plates, and 2 drivers licenses were less than $150. I don't recall the exact figure as it wasn't much. Not one latino was getting a drivers license in the entire SC DMV. When in North Carolina DMV anyone not speaking Spanish is a minority.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:49 PM

29 posts, read 94,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townofnorthdotcom View Post
Yes, don't buy a new car, drive an old junk, or even better, buy a nice OLD car with high mileage on it, fix it up and drive it to your and your pocket's health. The hell with environment... If this is how SC takes care of the environment then they'll be the first to be cooked in the global warming owen.
Right, and this is the county (Horry) or maybe the state that doesn't even have night time rate for electricity................

Old 08-04-2007, 08:23 PM

9,827 posts, read 8,424,160 times
I paid the property tax on our 2000 Ford F-250 this week. The amount due was $203.28. When you live in York County your property taxes are determined by the school district where you reside. I live in Rock Hill School District #3 and the break-down of my tax bill was:

$147.71 School Taxes
$ 55.57 County Taxes

The majority of the tax money goes to the school district with very little left for county operations. So York County taxes are cheap just look at your tax notice and you will see what the county is actually receiving. The other money is merely collected by the county and distributed to York, Clover, Ft Mill or Rock Hill school districts wherever you may live.

Also paid the taxes on our camper ... $414.80 total and break-down was $301.40 School Taxes and $113.40 County Taxes.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 AM

41 posts, read 185,416 times
Question Max Sales Tax only $300.00

This thread has become sort of argumentive. At the start someone mentioned Paying $1200 tax on a 40,000 vehicle.
This may or may not be accurate but, noone has mentioned that if you purchase that vehicle in SC, the sales tax is only $300.00. paid when you buy it.
In any of the other states mentioned it would be as much as $3200.00.
Overall, I have seen SC rated everything from a tax haven to about #30 on a list of 50 for total taxes and very close to NC.
It is confusing.
As for the $40000 vehicle, perhaps that person has real estate worth $400,000 and is paying comparatively low property tax on it, besides not paying much sales tax on the vehicle at purchase.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 49,228 times
Default vehicle taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post
This thread has become sort of argumentive. At the start someone mentioned Paying $1200 tax on a 40,000 vehicle.
This may or may not be accurate but, noone has mentioned that if you purchase that vehicle in SC, the sales tax is only $300.00. paid when you buy it.
In any of the other states mentioned it would be as much as $3200.00.
Overall, I have seen SC rated everything from a tax haven to about #30 on a list of 50 for total taxes and very close to NC.
It is confusing.
As for the $40000 vehicle, perhaps that person has real estate worth $400,000 and is paying comparatively low property tax on it, besides not paying much sales tax on the vehicle at purchase.
Lowcountry, I'm so glad you brought up the issue of sales taxes in SC vs NC. We're moving to Baxter Village (Fort Mill) next week and will be purchasing a new car. We're selling our two cars in CA, and plan to buy a new Honda Fit for me and my son to use until I decide what SUV I need; then I'll pass the car on to him. It will be about $17,500 to purchase the car. I told my husband the wealth of information I've gotten off this blog, and it has impacted our decision on where to purchase the car. A friend told us there was a good dealership in Charlotte, but I explained that the sales tax would be much greater and we'd still have to pay the PPT in SC. I hope I gave him correct information!

I know taxes are always a sore issue, but leaving San Diego for SC, I can't imagine it'll be too bad. My 2002 Lexus is $225/yr. to register, our home property taxes are $25,000, taxes on our Mastercraft are $350/yr. and we still had to pay $37,000/yr. to send our children to private schools because the schools are below our standards! Many people move to our area because of the "great school system", which I never saw. I'll pay the taxes in SC, but I want to be smart about where I purchase the car. Any thoughts or advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina