Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,375,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigon View Post
Another question that just occurred to me. My wife and I are both originally from Europe. We have heard that the American South is very religious and conservative. We are quite the opposite to that. I was wondering if this would be a problem moving to a place such as MB? Would there be a lot of discrimination?
You will be fine. All types of people live in the south, just like they do in the northeast, west, and midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 01:13 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,770,311 times
Quote:
Another question that just occurred to me. My wife and I are both originally from Europe. We have heard that the American South is very religious and conservative. We are quite the opposite to that. I was wondering if this would be a problem moving to a place such as MB? Would there be a lot of discrimination? Hopefully the people are a bit more laid back in MB compared to the more rural areas. What about in the other southern states? I am sure the larger the town the more diverse it is, any thoughts on MB and Conway?
The reason why our cost of living is so affordable and life is practical is because we elect conservatives and do not have a big expensive government. Please do not move here if you plan on voting for the same liberal democrats who ruined Connecticut.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM

45 posts, read 40,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The reason why our cost of living is so affordable and life is practical is because we elect conservatives and do not have a big expensive government. Please do not move here if you plan on voting for the same liberal democrats who ruined Connecticut.
by "conservative", I meant socially not fiscally. We are very well aware of the mess that liberal fiscal policy has had on the economy here in CT and throughout the world (hence leaving Europe). However, conservative social policy such as jingoism, religiosity, imposing one's morals on others, etc is what we are concerned about. We believe in "live and let live". If that is something that would not be welcome down there then it would be good to find out now before we make a decision to move

Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,375,490 times
Quote:
by "conservative", I meant socially not fiscally. We are very well aware of the mess that liberal fiscal policy has had on the economy here in CT and throughout the world (hence leaving Europe). However, conservative social policy such as jingoism, religiosity, imposing one's morals on others, etc is what we are concerned about. We believe in "live and let live". If that is something that would not be welcome down there then it would be good to find out now before we make a decision to move
Horry County is one of the more conservative areas of the state, but it's not 1960. You will be fine. The south in general is not today what you think it is.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Horry County is one of the more conservative areas of the state, but it's not 1960. You will be fine. The south in general is not today what you think it is.
thanks! I think in the end I just need to take a trip and see if for myself

Old 07-16-2017, 12:43 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,840,259 times
Mt pleasant rings a bell for this

Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 AM

2,163 posts, read 3,099,354 times
Conway by itself is fine but it is in the HUGE shadow of Myrtle Beach and that would kill it for me. MYB is a tourist trap and nightmare when it comes to people and traffic.

I've lived here for 40 years and I avoid MYB at all costs! 9 months out of the year it is just one huge traffic jam.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,374,421 times
Most of the South Carolina coast where you would be looking for hospitals is congested and only getting more so. If you put aside the beach Greenville, SC in the upstate is probably a good choice. Weather wise, it is comparable to Connecticut somewhat in that it gets cold in the winter, maybe snow and ice a couple of times but it doesn't last. The cold bothered me during February, but come March it started to improve. Not as humid as the coast but it does get hot. You are near the mountains and lakes but not near the beach. Taxes in South Carolina are pretty reasonable.

Florida. Have you looked into the Daytona area for jobs? You don't have to live in Daytona, Port Orange and New Smyrna are nice. Lots of new homes going in just on the other side of 95. It is still close enough to both the Florida Hospital System and Halifax Hospitals. Have you contacted a head hunter? Remember to take into consideration on salary there are no state income tax in Florida. Property tax can be high but probably not compared with Connecticut. Might be about the same.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Most of the South Carolina coast where you would be looking for hospitals is congested and only getting more so. If you put aside the beach Greenville, SC in the upstate is probably a good choice. Weather wise, it is comparable to Connecticut somewhat in that it gets cold in the winter, maybe snow and ice a couple of times but it doesn't last. The cold bothered me during February, but come March it started to improve. Not as humid as the coast but it does get hot. You are near the mountains and lakes but not near the beach. Taxes in South Carolina are pretty reasonable.

Florida. Have you looked into the Daytona area for jobs? You don't have to live in Daytona, Port Orange and New Smyrna are nice. Lots of new homes going in just on the other side of 95. It is still close enough to both the Florida Hospital System and Halifax Hospitals. Have you contacted a head hunter? Remember to take into consideration on salary there are no state income tax in Florida. Property tax can be high but probably not compared with Connecticut. Might be about the same.
Thank you for your suggestions. Yeah I've been using the help of recruiters and have also been directly contacting various hospitals. For me, being close to the beach is very important, which is also why I'm not finding a ton of job listings. Most jobs are available in larger land locked cities such as Durham or Charlotte NC, Atlanata GA, Columbia SC, etc. I'm not interested in those places.

From my research it looks like the cost of living is cheaper everywhere compared to CT (except CA). Prices here are ridiculous, it's like they're trying to force people out. Many of my colleagues have already moved out of state and many are contemplating of doing so in the near future. I don't understand what the "leaders" here are thinking.

Anyway, so far the best opportunities I've found so far are in Myrtle Beach, Conway, and Hilton Head SC and a couple of places in middle and northern CA such as Monterey and Eureka but I'm not really excited about CA. They pay more in CA to try to account for the higher cost of living but it doesn't really make up the difference and so even though they're offering more money than what I'm making now it would be a pay cut when you take into consideration the cost of living there. I think the southern states make more sense at the moment.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:18 AM

300 posts, read 448,692 times
Try looking at Florence, located in Northeast SC. About 65 miles from Myrtle Beach. Right off I-95 considered the halfway point between Miami and New York. I-20 starts and stops here which is a main east/west route out to Texas and beyond. Has multiple medical center's, has a progressive mentality and many new and expanding opportunities in multiple fields. Just Google Florence, SC and select news it brings up all the wonderful things happening here you will be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina