Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thanks in advance for any guidance on SC options for me to investigate
Look into Clemson, Seneca, Walhalla, and Travelers Rest, etc. All of them are smaller towns next to the mountains, not far from bigger cities. Look into Anderson, Greenville, and especially Easley as well. They're larger and have more amenities and aren't too far from the mountains.

All of these cities except for Seneca are in the "Greenville metro area", though Seneca is a part of the broader "Upstate" region, and all around 750-1100 feet above sea level. The area is definitely pretty spread out, but like you said if the amenities are there, then it's fine. Getting around is not difficult, unless you live deep in the mountains imo.

GSP airport gets you to a decent number of places, but the Atlanta airport is just a 2+ hour drive or 20 minute connecting flight away that'll get you basically anywhere, and is typically cheaper. Being between Atlanta and Charlotte is a plus for the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Most people if including Anderson and Spartanburg with Greenville would say the Upstate.

Most people who move to the area because of Greenville would not live over in Anderson or Spartanburg because there are plenty of neighborhoods much closer. Spartanburg has its own MSA. Anderson gets lumped in with Greenville but most people who live in Greenville never go to Anderson and I would think majority of people who work in Anderson live in Anderson.

He was talking about wanting to be near a Costco so it would make sense to live closer to Woodruff Road in Greenville.

If he was talking about wanting a populated area, I wouldn't recommend Seneca, Walhalla, Clemson, Anderson. Travelers Rest might work but it isn't that convenient to the mall and Woodruff Road.

Greer, Simpsonville, Mauldin, maybe Powdersville, Taylors / Pebble Creek, or downtown Greenville would be my recommendations based on what he said.

I'd recommend the Farragut area in Knoxville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-02-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 09:41 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
It doesn't matter. According to the Bureau, not me, Anderson County is a part of the Greenville metro area, so if it's "not included" then you can shave 198,000 people off of Greenville's MSA. And another 66K for Laurens.

You don't have to live next to Costco to have access to it. People all over the Upstate and I'm sure even the NC mountains use the two Costco's. Even Columbia folks were traveling up to Costco before they got theirs. He can live in any of those cities and the convenience of Costco will still be there.

The OP said he'd like a smaller town near the mountains, yet still close to larger cities, so I gave him a recommended list, just like you did. Any of those cities imo can work for what he is looking for.

OP, keep in mind our city limits don't tell the whole story. Greenville is much bigger than it appears. Same with Anderson, Easley, and the others. We're not big on annexations, unlike Texas.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:45 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Those cities are less than 30miles from Knoxville
There are many suburban cities less than 30 miles from Greenville. I live in one. I'm not sure how this holds up.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:47 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Some have settled on the SC side of Lake Wylie, near Charlotte NC, a major population center.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:53 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Most people if including Anderson and Spartanburg with Greenville would say the Upstate.

Most people who move to the area because of Greenville would not live over in Anderson or Spartanburg because there are plenty of neighborhoods much closer. Spartanburg has its own MSA. Anderson gets lumped in with Greenville but most people who live in Greenville never go to Anderson and I would think majority of people who work in Anderson live in Anderson.

He was talking about wanting to be near a Costco so it would make sense to live closer to Woodruff Road in Greenville.

If he was talking about wanting a populated area, I wouldn't recommend Seneca, Walhalla, Clemson, Anderson. Travelers Rest might work but it isn't that convenient to the mall and Woodruff Road.

Greer, Simpsonville, Mauldin, maybe Powdersville, Taylors / Pebble Creek, or downtown Greenville would be my recommendations based on what he said.

I'd recommend the Farragut area in Knoxville.
Anderson is included into Greenville metro because of work travel patterns. That's what they go by. If a certain percentage of a county travels to another to work, they are lumped into that metro area. Census Bureau guidelines. Quite a few people commute from Anderson to Greenville for work. I know some personally.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
One poster on City-Data is living in East Tennessee near the North Carolina line near Boone, N. C. The college in Boone offers medical training. You might want to talk to Young Lisa about this.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
There are many suburban cities less than 30 miles from Greenville. I live in one. I'm not sure how this holds up.
I was referring to the cities he mentioned

Old 11-02-2017, 09:29 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Anderson is included into Greenville metro because of work travel patterns. That's what they go by. If a certain percentage of a county travels to another to work, they are lumped into that metro area. Census Bureau guidelines. Quite a few people commute from Anderson to Greenville for work. I know some personally.
I understand that. My point is it is only spread out if you choose to live in Spartanburg, Anderson, and other cities 30 plus miles away, but plan to go to Greenville a lot.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:48 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Thanks to all for the guidance, the back and forth is helpful too. I see many options in SC and like the state and local tax structures for my situation. I really find no downside with Knoxville though from a far. I plan a visit to the area with my wife when she is recovered from knee replacement and other current medical issues. I can not understand what a NC resident gets for their higher state and local tax situation? I ran one cost of living tool which indicated Greenville SC had a much higher cost than Knoxville. This tool will run suburb cities as well I suspect that is the issue perhaps, so will run a Farragut, Tn comparison to some of the towns mentioned for me to consider.

The medical differences may be large and getting a handle on them is tough. My wife's needs are complicated we know from Houston and DFW area experience. Both these cities benefit from having medical schools in the town. But the medical experts in Internal medicine for auto immune patients and Rh MD for the same in DFW are not related to the medical school here.

We have been in a WebMD type relationship for the past 10 years or so and have found those MD's to be some of the top in their specialty but as importantly the personal access you get is key for my wife who presents unique ways and recovers along a unique path as well. She talks to our current Internist daily right now as she recovers from Sepsis and C Diff following a knee replacement surgery and things come up that might or might not be concerning without direct help from an MD. I seee both areas have WebMD options for us.

What do NC residents get for their higher state and local tax load that TN and SC do not have? Better public schools? Roads? what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina