Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,261,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
That's not what I'm saying. I am saying Clemson is a selective college and many students of all races don't get in.

I don't believe most of the students that don't get into Clemson are bad students. I got in with a 3.2 GPA in high school and an ok but not great SAT score. It is much more selective now so I probably wouldn't get in today.

Keep in mind that even though Clemson may have a lower percentage of black students than other colleges in the state, it is the 2nd largest college in SC, so there could be more black students at Clemson in number than at a small college with a higher percentage.

My comments were in response to a person saying that Clemson isn't attracting many black students.

I had two black friends at Clemson, one grew up in Orangeburg and one grew up in Chester. I don't think being in a rural location has anything to do with percentage of black students at Clemson.
Okay. It just came off wrong. Definitely don't want the feed the stereotype about our area being like that. It isn't. Clemson isn't as isolated as some think. Like I said, Greenville is right up the road. I think their transit even ties into Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,323,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Okay. It just came off wrong. Definitely don't want the feed the stereotype about our area being like that. It isn't. Clemson isn't as isolated as some think. Like I said, Greenville is right up the road. I think their transit even ties into Greenville.
That's true, but there is plenty to do in Clemson and around Clemson. It is 23,000 students with plenty of bars, right on a large lake near the mountains. I spent a lot of my time outside of class at Fike recreation center playing basketball. Clemson has a 15,000 acre experimental forest north and south of campus that has biking trails and there is an on campus golf course.

I was in the whitewater kayaking club as well.

I only recall going to Greenville for the Fall for Greenville fall festival and to visit the mall or Oshmon's Sporting Goods behind the old Greenville Mall. Most students went home every 3 or 4 weekends so they would do any shopping during trips home.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-14-2017 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 PM

14,200 posts, read 14,574,865 times
A few months back there was a racially based protest in Columbia by some USC student. There are 34,000 students at the USC Columbia campus. If memory serves me correctly, there were less then 20 protesters.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,261,818 times
Quote:
That's true, but there is plenty to do in Clemson and around Clemson. It is 23,000 students with plenty of bars, right on a large lake near the mountains. I spent a lot of my time outside of class at Fike recreation center playing basketball.
I agree. It's turning into a place people want to retire to also due to its lake proximity.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,195,878 times
I went to Clemson in 1979.I grew up in a small town 15 miles away.Even back then I thought the easy interaction between ethnic groups was a breath of fresh air.We still live close to campus and are there fairly often.I'm confident that racism is pretty far down the list of the challenges that students face today.Clemson appears to me to be thankfully removed from the activity of divisive groups from all points of the compass.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,619,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
I have never been to South Carolina but I was just wondering has the racism including yes in SC gotten better or has stayed just about the same in terms of racism? I know South Carolina has and still is in some parts I would assume still very racist I mean if your black traveling to South Carolina let's say Clemson which I understand is a college town home of the Tigers would I get a lot of bad looks from other whites or since it is a college town which I would also think it's more upscale and cosmopolitan, would me as a black person have a good experience? I see it's like 40 minutes away from Greenville what is Greenville like has the racism gotten better their? I was looking to plan a visit to Clemson so I am curious what South Carolina is like...i know everywhere their is is racism but still in certain parts of the South I am concerned that some of the racial hatred still lies in places like Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, etc. I've been to Florida once but in a Tourist destination called Walt Disney World in Orlando. If someone could please tell me more of what the South is like now especially if you are African American, Hispanic, etc living in a mostly white suburban region/neighborhood. I mean is it safe to go out at night if I am living in Clemson?
Yes, Clemson is a white supremacist hotbed and quite frankly, a toliet.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 AM

Clemson is the highest ranked university in the state.

It is hard to believe a college town that is mostly good students, professors, and retirees, is a hotbed for white supremacy.

You misspelled toilet.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-20-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 PM

1,124 posts, read 910,294 times
Quote:
Clemson is the highest ranked university in the state.

It is hard to believe a college town that is mostly good students, professors, and retirees, is a hotbed for white supremacy.

You misspelled toilet.
Wrong, Furman is. And the reason Clemson scores so well is easy classes, and those dumb ones that are about things such as Lady Gaga’s Affects on Social Construct or whatever. Midlands/Trident/Greenville Tech are probably more difficult schools. But I do agree, it’s not a large town full of degenerates. The odds of one or two racist, yes. But not anything extreme.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,263,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Wrong, Furman is. And the reason Clemson scores so well is easy classes, and those dumb ones that are about things such as Lady Gaga’s Affects on Social Construct or whatever. Midlands/Trident/Greenville Tech are probably more difficult schools. But I do agree, it’s not a large town full of degenerates. The odds of one or two racist, yes. But not anything extreme.
Furman isn't even ranked nationally among universities. Clemson is 67 nationally and 23 among public universities and is ranked the highest among universities in the state.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

The level of trolling in this thread is pretty crazy.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
So you think a university with engineering and architecture programs, and one of the largest percentage of STEM related majors, is a bush league college?

Clemson is more selective than Furman despite being larger. Granted, Furman's crazy high tuition prevents a lot of students from applying.

Every college has silly courses in the liberal arts majors. I know that I can find some for Furman if I set out do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina