Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:32 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Not true. As I said in an earlier post, I am a registered Independent and have voted for both Republican and Democractic candidates in the past. Can you say the same?
Very few people have never voted for both a Democrat and a Republican at some point. I have voted for both even though I am neither Republican nor Democrat.

You are a liberal bigot who spreads unsubstantiated information on the Internet. Shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
This is a very insightful discussion yet at times not constructive. My daughter plans to visit Clemson as one of the universities to consider. We are African American. I will not knowingly expose her to a racist environment because it can be a distraction in many aspects.

I attended UNC, Villanova, for a short time and Fayetteville State but for personal reasons she has to attend school for her undergrad in SC. We live 20 minutes from U of M now. So while I believe there are racial issues in most major public universities, it is more present in some than others.

With the many things she has accomplished, G.P at 3.8, NHS, working with the Humane Society for 3 years etc. I would hate to put her in a school that does not do her service or justice and she feels that she can not or does not want to serve her school because of racial, income or sex bias.

I will add more emphasis on black people's opinion because we can feel and spot racism. It's not an outright display. It is more of the people in a leadership position that has the authority to shape power over another. It's no longer most racist that walk around with KKK hoods or Neo-Nazi tattoos. It's people that you would never think to have a prejudice bone in their body. Same with sexist and bigots. Black, Hispanic and other minorities have sadly been taught and experienced racism in many forms. There is no better teacher than experience. We plan to visit the campus on a tour this summer. So I appreciate the insight!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I will add more emphasis on black people's opinion because we can feel and spot racism. It's not an outright display. It is more of the people in a leadership position that has the authority to shape power over another. It's no longer most racist that walk around with KKK hoods or Neo-Nazi tattoos. It's people that you would never think to have a prejudice bone in their body. Same with sexist and bigots. Black, Hispanic and other minorities have sadly been taught and experienced racism in many forms. There is no better teacher than experience. We plan to visit the campus on a tour this summer. So I appreciate the insight!
So how do you know that they are racist if you would never think they have a prejudice bone in their body and their racism is not 'an outright display'?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
So how do you know that they are racist if you would never think they have a prejudice bone in their body and their racism is not 'an outright display'?
First, I would like to say that I'm in no way saying or implying people from SC are racist. Anyone can tell from my post, that I'm inquiring but that's what happens when people try to make their own interpretation and spin words. A member of this forum went to the political thread and said just that in my above quote, I've never been to that part of SC.

Racial discrimination without an outright display consists of being treated differently, ignored or ridiculed. There are clear definitions in some EOO and employment handbooks that describe it as microaggressions or convert racisms.

That is the reason there are many federal laws that were set to protect because it does exist including where people have power over others, school, work, real estate, banks, and law enforcement. This is not a debate because it does exist and minorities including Hispanics have experienced it and in some case been taught by family members and educators how and when to report it. I'll reference a few articles to put it in better context.

Main point and link

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chiak..._14113118.html

Subtle racism, also known as, covert racism is described as a person who has implicit racial or other negative attitudes towards another group. Subtle racism is an ambiguous form of racial discrimination. It is defined as ambiguous because the perpetrator’s actions are very indirect and are often expressed through innuendo’s. While subtle racism can be attributed to many factors other than racist beliefs, racism is the underlying subconscious influence on the perpetrator’s behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_racism

Covert racism is a form of racial discrimination that is disguised and subtle, rather than public or obvious. Concealed in the fabric of society, covert racism discriminates against individuals through often unnoticeable or seemingly passive methods. Covert racism, subtle in application, often appears hidden by norms of association, affiliation, group membership and/or identity. As such, covert racism is often excused or confused with mechanisms of exclusion and inclusion, ritual and ceremony, acceptance and rejection. Covert racism operates as a boundary keeping mechanism whose primary purpose is to maintain social distance between racial majorities and racial minorities. [1] Covert, racially biased decisions are often hidden or rationalized with an explanation that society is more willing to accept. These racial biases cause a variety of problems that work to empower the suppressors while diminishing the rights and powers of the oppressed. Covert racism often works subliminally, and often much of the discrimination is being done subconsciously.[2]

Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM

Ok, I still don't understand how a person can know who is guilty of covert racism if there is no 'outright display' of racism, unless the person can read minds.

Covert racism sounds like a convenient way of being able to accuse people of racism without the burden of providing proof of it.

It doesn't seem like it can be called 'covert racism' if you can easily feel and spot it. That sounds like overt racism.

I don't know how much of this thread you read, but you may want to read up on former SC governor Ben 'Pitchfork' Tillman. He helped to found Clemson and the most famous building at Clemson, the one with the clock tower, is named after him. There have been protests over the building being named after him but so far the Board of Trustees has decided not to rename it. I'm assuming that you might consider this an example of covert racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Tillman

Also keep in mind that the Clemson campus is actually on the land that was formerly John C Calhoun's slave plantation Fort Hill. John C Calhoun was probably the most racist politician of his era. He was the one who espoused the belief that slavery is a good thing for the enslaved.

I haven't been able to find any racist quotes by Thomas Clemson, who married John C's daughter and eventually inherited and moved into the Fort Hill mansion which still exists on campus. He did fight on the Confederate side in the war.

The interesting thing about Clemson's will is he did not state that he wanted Clemson to be a white only, male only college, which is remarkable given the time period. The will doesn't mention race or gender.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-16-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM

If that's your understanding of covert racism, you are entitled to it but if you are a minority that has experienced it, it is easily spotted.

For example, some bank back in the day were accused of racism in real estate and offering loans. Even though there was not an outright display, there was a pattern of action denying the same loans they offered to their white counterparts with similar financial backgrounds. Therefore, federal laws were put in place to stop the discrimination.

When I have bought and sold a house they have always ask me my race, age, and gender on forms. The government makes it a priority to spot discrimination of a covert form. There are many federal and state law cases you can research with examples of covert racism cases and laws that prohibit it by businesses.

Schools and employers have restricted minorities from further education and careers because of it. Nowadays, most people do not outwardly display racism.

There are other clear examples in the media every day. The sheriff in AZ, The girlfriend of a reporter (or government official) calling Mehgan Markle the N-word in her friend's text. These are one off's but you get the point. Just look it up a little more. I've experienced it by a white boyfriend's family I had in high school. His mom was very racist. She didn't directly say it but it was the exclusion and ignoring. Finally, he admitted his mom was very racist. He didn't care. He tried to protect me from it by not bringing me around her. I knew though. It's people like him that I choose to focus my energy when it comes to the general public but people in power should not be allowed to make decisions based on prejudices.

I'm excited to explore SC further. I've lived in NC for 15 years and met nothing but strong, welcoming, nice and ambitious people. I've been to SC many times but more of the eastern part of the state like Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Fort Jackson area. I 've met nice people there as well. I enjoyed it. Most people are good with kind hearts and intentions. I keep my focus on the good people but have no problem calling out the bad ones.

Thanks for the information.

Last edited by KayAnn246; 01-16-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 05:41 PM

Some people say the finanicial crisis in 2008 was in part due to the government forcing banks to give loans to high risk applicants, people who didn't make enough money to pay back the loans, on the basis that many of these people were minorities and being discriminated against because of that, not their income level.

That's a real life example of the problem with seeing racism in things that are not racist. Giving loans to people who can't pay them off is bad business.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-16-2018 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Some people say the finanicial crisis in 2008 was in part due to the government forcing banks to give loans to high risk applicants, people who didn't make enough money to pay back the loans, on the basis that many of these people were minorities and being discriminated against because of that, not their income level.

That's a real life example of the problem with seeing racism in things that are not racist. Giving loans to people who can't pay them off is bad business.
I'm not sure that was completely and only about race during 2008 but I do know that racism does exist. I was referring more to the laws of 1992 where they listed the discrimination as Overt Evidence of Discrimination. There is numerous other legislation and laws as well.

There are some great examples here based on race, age, gender etc.

https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/law...5000-3860.html

Overt Evidence of Discrimination. There is overt evidence of discrimination when a lender openly discriminates on a prohibited basis.

Example: Two minority loan applicants were told that it would take several hours and require the payment of an application fee to determine whether they would qualify for a home mortgage loan. In contrast, a loan officer took financial information immediately from nonminority applicants and determined whether they qualified in minutes, without a fee being paid. The lender's differential treatment violated both the ECOA and the FH Act.

Redlining refers to the illegal practice of refusing to make residential loans or imposing more onerous terms on any loans made because of the predominant race, national origin, etc., of the residents of the neighborhood in which the property is located. Redlining violates both the FH Act and the ECOA.

Disparate treatment may more likely occur in the treatment of applicants who are neither clearly well-qualified nor clearly unqualified. Discrimination may more readily affect applicants in this middle group for two reasons. First, because the applications are all "close cases," there is more room and need for lender discretion. Second, whether or not an applicant qualifies may depend on the level of assistance the lender provides the applicant in preparing an application. The lender may, for example, propose solutions to problems on an application, identify compensating factors, and provide encouragement to the applicant. Lenders are under no obligation to provide such assistance, but to the extent that they do, the assistance must be provided in a nondiscriminatory way.

Example: A nonminority couple applies for an automobile loan. The lender found adverse information in the couple's credit report. The lender discussed the credit report with them and determined that the adverse information, a judgment against the couple, was incorrect since the judgment had been vacated. The nonminority couple was granted their loan. A minority couple applied for a similar loan with the same lender. Upon discovering adverse information in the minority couple's credit report, the lender denied the loan application on the basis of the adverse information without giving the couple an opportunity to discuss the report.

Not only does it effect minorities but women as well. When people are educated on the issues that suffocate our society, they do better. When people are ignorant they stay the same. It can and has poisoned the foundation this country was built on. We are more divided than ever.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Ok, I do want to point that that alleging that there is white racism as a black person is not proof of white racism.

You've pointed out your skin color several times as though this gives weight to your allegations.

In recent years, there have been a lot of false accusations of racism and race hoaxes. Many of these false accusations and hoaxes have been done by minorities. For example, a black man last year burned down his church in Miss and put a Vote Trump sign out in front of it to pass it off as though Trump voters did it. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/u...urch-fire.html

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-16-2018 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Ok, I do want to point that that alleging that there is white racism as a black person is not proof of white racism.

You've pointed out your skin color several times as though this gives weight to your allegations.

In recent years, there have been a lot of false accusations of racism and race hoaxes. Many of these false accusations and hoaxes have been done by minorities. For example, a black man last year burned down his church in Miss and put a Vote Trump sign out in front of it to pass it off as though Trump voters did it. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/u...urch-fire.html
Wow, what a bait and switch? Thank goodness the federal and local government doesn't think that way. We are talking about racism! Isn't that the nature of this thread? I guess another baiter. I was trying to have a productive and informative conversation. Even posted valid laws and regulations. Have you? Not a debate! Guess not. I didn't say one word about my race and if I did so what! I see I'm not the only person you have baited on this thread. I'm not falling for it.

I'm done responding to your bait and switch because there are one-offs everywhere. I'm not going back and forth about one-offs. I was referring to the most part. I'm glad there are people in power that trust, know and believe. If you don't, your issue, nothing to do with anything else (Another baiter and trolling poster from the political forum that tries to challenge Trump righteousness and racial inequalities at every turn) Wrong forum!.

Last edited by KayAnn246; 01-16-2018 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina