Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 04:22 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,256,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Just because you haven't been more specific or clearer in your communication hardly means I've been putting "words in your mouth." It would behoove you to cease with these patronizing, railing accusations and simply move on.

And the irony of all of this is that you started getting snarky with me when I suggested you move to another part of the Upstate to escape the rapid growth occurring in the Greenville area, which you lament, and you don't even currently live there. I suppose you just needed a hobby.
What? The poster doesn't even live in the Greenville area? Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 06:13 PM

1,279 posts, read 841,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
What? The poster doesn't even live in the Greenville area? Interesting.
I don't, but am from there and visit often--I have been there multiple times in the past month. I'm asked, when visiting, "how do you know so much about Greenville real estate when we don't?" Not hard to stay on top of things there.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I don't, but am from there and visit often--I have been there multiple times in the past month. I'm asked, when visiting, "how do you know so much about Greenville real estate when we don't?" Not hard to stay on top of things there.
You still know more if you're in it dealing with it first hand though. Just like that hourly thing. That isn't true. I see the income statements.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You still know more if you're in it dealing with it first hand though. Just like that hourly thing. That isn't true. I see the income statements.
The wage survey was from the New York Times. I can't find it (I believe it was in the Upshot section), but here's something that it may have been based on. Greenville appears to be one of the places where median incomes in 2016 were 5-10% below median incomes in 1999:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/f...es-in-america/

Very bad.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
The wage survey was from the New York Times. I can't find it (I believe it was in the Upshot section), but here's something that it may have been based on. Greenville appears to be one of the places where median incomes in 2016 were 5-10% below median incomes in 1999:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/f...es-in-america/

Very bad.
Our median is higher than it was in the 99. My info comes from inside, not outside media. They don't live here either. This area is much more prosperous than it was in 99. Houses are selling like crazy and at a higher price. The incomes of the folks buying don't fit what you're saying either. I see them first hand. It's credible.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:00 PM

This pattern is starting to match a past forum member.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Our median is higher than it was in the 99. My info comes from inside, not outside media. They don't live here either. This area is much more prosperous than it was in 99. Houses are selling like crazy and at a higher price. The incomes of the folks buying don't fit what you're saying either. I see them first hand. It's credible.
It's the Brookings Institution, a well-regarded think tank, that published the survey of median incomes.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics, a Federal agency, has the same data.

So to confirm: your assertion is that they're both wrong, and you're right, and the basis for your assertion is that you live in Greenville but the Brookings Institution and the Bureau of Labor Statistics aren't based there?

Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
It's the Brookings Institution, a well-regarded think tank, that published the survey of median incomes.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics, a Federal agency, has the same data.

So to confirm: your assertion is that they're both wrong, and you're right, and the basis for your assertion is that you live in Greenville but the Brookings Institution and the Bureau of Labor Statistics aren't based there?
I deal with it daily. Media isn't always correct and you can't believe everything you read. In my experience the incomes are higher than they were in 99. That's why they're adding higher end options and we are selling more real estate. People would have a hard time buying a house in this market with 99 median incomes. Why are you hell-bent on trying to prove everyone here wrong? We are here experiencing it. Where do you live? Charlotte? What is the strong interest in an area you don't live in versus the lack of interest in the area in which you do live?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I deal with it daily. Media isn't always correct and you can't believe everything you read. In my experience the incomes are higher than they were in 99. That's why they're adding higher end options and we are selling more real estate. People would have a hard time buying a house in this market with 99 median incomes. Why are you hell-bent on trying to prove everyone here wrong? We are here experiencing it. Where do you live? Charlotte? What is the strong interest in an area you don't live in versus the lack of interest in the area in which you do live?
Here is the Bureau of Labor Statistics' methodology for its wage surveys:

https://www.bls.gov/ncs/methodology.htm

First, why is your methodology better?

Second, if first-hand observations of one person in a city are better than the Bureau of Labor Statistics' methodology, why isn't the Bureau of Labor Statistics changing its methodology to match yours?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics' surveys are used for a large number of purposes that have major impacts on the Federal budget, so I'd think that the organization would try to get its numbers right.

Third, if the first-hand observations of one person in a city are better than the Bureau of Labor Statistics' methodology, what happens if there are different individuals in the city whose observations differ? For example, what if another individual's first-hand observations support a 5-10% (or greater) decline in incomes in Greenville since 1999? Whose observations should the Bureau of Labor Statistics follow?

I'm not saying this to be argumentative. I'm genuinely curious as to your assertions about your methodology, as it's critical that the BLS get it right.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:44 AM

You're 100 percent right. We're drowning in poverty down here. Everything is doomed. Greenville is doomed. My last response. 101

Last edited by DSMRE; 12-28-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina