Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,072,565 times

Advertisements

I am from AL, and my wife is from NJ. She has never tried to "change things" (as I hear so many people refer to it as), but at the same time I realize that things are different where she lived before moving here, and I don't expect her to change her heritage or interests. She prefers the pizza up north, and misses the shore and boardwalk. She also misses the strong Latin influence in her old neighborhood (in AL Latin influence has a negative connotation, because there are so many people that are resentful of the growing Mexican population, illegally here or not), and she also misses NY being right around the corner for entertainment and historical purposes. Nor does she see the point in flying a Confederate flag, which I myself have a really hard time trying to wrap my head around. Perhaps if the klan and neo-nazi skinheads didn't have such a fondness for it than my opinion would be a bit different. I don't believe for a second that just because you are fond of the stars and bars means that you are a racist--however, if you are a racist than you probably have a fondness for the stars and bars. It's sort of like the chicken or the egg, and which one comes first. Just my opinion, no hate mail please. That being said, she loves South Carolina, as well as the south as a whole, and is very happy to make her home here. She doesn't compain about the south; in fact she loves it here. My concern when I here people bicker about "yankee transplants" is that I sometimes here a tone of resentment that generalizes all people who still carry a fondness for their own roots over from where they moved (as well they should), and when we move to South Carolina I hope that people are willing to give her a fair chance and not make fun of accent and appetite for lasagna and Peurto Rican food. She will always have a place in her heart for NJ, but she realizes that SC offers so much more in the way of a healthy, happy life for us and our future children. We don't have resentment issues here in AL, but perhaps it is because Birmingham is not brimming with tourists, nor is it very appealing to aging retirees from the north. Peace and love to all.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,013,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I am from AL, and my wife is from NJ. She has never tried to "change things" (as I hear so many people refer to it as), but at the same time I realize that things are different where she lived before moving here, and I don't expect her to change her heritage or interests. She prefers the pizza up north, and misses the shore and boardwalk. She also misses the strong Latin influence in her old neighborhood (in AL Latin influence has a negative connotation, because there are so many people that are resentful of the growing Mexican population, illegally here or not), and she also misses NY being right around the corner for entertainment and historical purposes. Nor does she see the point in flying a Confederate flag, which I myself have a really hard time trying to wrap my head around. Perhaps if the klan and neo-nazi skinheads didn't have such a fondness for it than my opinion would be a bit different. I don't believe for a second that just because you are fond of the stars and bars means that you are a racist--however, if you are a racist than you probably have a fondness for the stars and bars. It's sort of like the chicken or the egg, and which one comes first. Just my opinion, no hate mail please. That being said, she loves South Carolina, as well as the south as a whole, and is very happy to make her home here. She doesn't compain about the south; in fact she loves it here. My concern when I here people bicker about "yankee transplants" is that I sometimes here a tone of resentment that generalizes all people who still carry a fondness for their own roots over from where they moved (as well they should), and when we move to South Carolina I hope that people are willing to give her a fair chance and not make fun of accent and appetite for lasagna and Peurto Rican food. She will always have a place in her heart for NJ, but she realizes that SC offers so much more in the way of a healthy, happy life for us and our future children. We don't have resentment issues here in AL, but perhaps it is because Birmingham is not brimming with tourists, nor is it very appealing to aging retirees from the north. Peace and love to all.
Well, unfortunately not all transplants are quite so accepting. I guess that there is some reasoning for the generalizations, to name a few things, trying to get rid of the "Heart of Dixie" slogan from AL plates, as well as trying to get it removed as the state nickname altogether was spearheaded by a transplant. Same goes for the attempt to remove the blue laws in SC (I don't really like them either, but I'm not a complainer). Using the word "progressive" is becoming derogatory, especially in recent years. I know its a load of crap that hate groups have misconstrued the meaning of the flags, but we can't really do anything about that, other than fly more traditional flags instead of the battle flag..

Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM

13,371 posts, read 28,615,118 times
I guess that would depend on *THE YANKEE* as with any group some of us are great and some of us are real pains in the azzes

Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I guess that would depend on *THE YANKEE* as with any group some of us are great and some of us are real pains in the azzes
Amen to that. Arrogance and rudeness knows no geographical boundaries, nor does it recognize dialect.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM

543 posts, read 2,358,989 times
Oh my lord....

See..this is EXACTLY why southerners have issues! How did this even turn into a stupid battle flag debate anyway? Sheesh!

And for those of you who don't know..lesson 101..the KKK is pretty much non existant now. They have been replaced by the skinheads, the white supremecy groups, the white nationalist..and the list goes on.

You may also want to do a history lesson on Willie Levy Casey, Jr. and many other black confederate soldiers that were not FORCED into fighting in the civil war.

Take this into account...there are some southerners that really irk my nerves! I can't stand the ones that act totally uneducated and ignorant (like my grammar is doing me any justice here..LOL) because they make us all look bad. Just like I can't stand some northerners because of their bossy attitudes and such. I happen to have some good friends that are from the northern part of the country...and get along with them just fine.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 PM

I only was making a comment on where some of my wife's ideas and interests might differ from others, and the flag part was included in it. It's an opinion, and I am just wondering why the defensiveness? Not everybody supports the issue, and I don't think I was on a tangent about it. I didn't realize that lumping it together with other things in order to make a point about a related topic that has relevance to the thread would be offensive to anyone. So you support the flag--I don't. I am sure that you are still a wonderful person regardless, and I agree to disagree with you. This will be the last that I speak of it on this thread. Peace on earth to you all.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM

78 posts, read 356,278 times
Default Thank you for your input

Hi Palmetto State-
Thanks for those who took the time to post to my query. I'm heartened, and honestly not too surprised, to learn that your tradition of Southern Hospitality is alive and well in South Carolina.

I live in rural, nothern Michigan where we enjoy much the same slower lifestyle and try to be friendly to our neighbors.

Not too many people move up here, so the natives are cautious about their encounters with "outsiders". Seems not be so much the case in SC, particularly where northeners have already migrated.

I wouldn't mind reading more of your observations.

Thanks again,
GLP

(btw- it's snowing and about 20F right now where I am).

Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Pirate View Post
Hi Palmetto State-
Thanks for those who took the time to post to my query. I'm heartened, and honestly not too surprised, to learn that your tradition of Southern Hospitality is alive and well in South Carolina.

I live in rural, nothern Michigan where we enjoy much the same slower lifestyle and try to be friendly to our neighbors.

Not too many people move up here, so the natives are cautious about their encounters with "outsiders". Seems not be so much the case in SC, particularly where northeners have already migrated.

I wouldn't mind reading more of your observations.

Thanks again,
GLP

(btw- it's snowing and about 20F right now where I am).
Man, I do love and miss the snow. I lived in VT for a few years and understand what you mean about slow lifestyle and hesitation to outsiders. It took me a while, but I eventually cracked the code. In a way it was similar to the tourist spots of SC in that we had the ski resorts, as well as "leaf peepers" who would come over during the fall season to watch the leaves change. Six months out of the year it was only locals, which was pretty normal and non-chaotic. The Geat Lake made it really cold in Burlington, especially.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM

543 posts, read 2,358,989 times
PVJD,

I meant no offense with my post. It's just that people seem to harp on the flag so much around here. And while I do hold my heritage to my heart, I don't agree with the way hate groups have used to confederate flag to their advantage. Their actions have made it bad for all of us.

Anyhoo, I think you will settle down into SC nicely. Try not to let the negativity affect your move.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 AM

221 posts, read 1,029,191 times
I'm pretty much as southern as southern gets. My parents, grand parents, great grand parents, etc. have lived here for generations. My Great Great... Uncle was a general in the Confederate Army.

With all that herritage I'm probably the last person to jump on the traditional south bandwagon. I enjoy the diversity that we have gained by having people from various parts of the country/continent move into the state. I supose my stance on the flag issue was more apothy than anything.

My brother moved to Indiana after he graduated from college, and he and his wife have helped "open my eyes" a bit to some of the things that are taken as normal in SC that aren't exactly normal. Like the use of the word Yankee. My brother's ex-wife was from Ohio. I remember her meeting a lady my mom worked with. "Oh your from Ohio, so you're a Yankee" through a typical southern accent and smile. Needless to say she wasn't thrilled to be referred to as a Yankee. She's a Indians fan...

I had a room mate from the UK as well. I enjoyed his more international perspective, especially through the aftermath of 9/11 and the war in Iraq.

I guess my point is I'm southern. And I'm not against some of the things that the "northerner's" want to do here. More than anything I think we should all treat each other with respect and that'll go a long way in helping us get along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina