Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 02:10 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It isn't necessarily leftists that want names removed. I've never voted for a Dem for President in my entire life*, but naming buildings after racists isn't the way we need to be.

Incidentally, the process to remove Strom's name from the building at USC is already in motion. https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...d3301d0af.html

*I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016.
It was announced also that the process of renaming Sims would be started. It was recommended by the Presidential Commission. Of course, there will be the whole process of the General Assembly asking for an exemption of the Heritage act. I hope it gets renamed.

I saw an interesting post on Instagram that said we should rename the Strom Thurmond Wellness Center to the Dawn Staley Wellness Center. I dig that.

I voted Gary Johnson in 2016 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 01:52 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That is not making him into a villain. I didn't say I hated him or that he is scum or anything else.

I am disappointed that the people who surrounded him mean less to him than the name on a building. That is not making him out to be a villain.
Deshaun Watson never ever said that the people around him meant less to him than the name on a building. His actual statement:

"Clemson University should not honor slave owner John C. Calhoun in any way. His name should be removed from all University property and programming. I am joining the students, faculty & DeAndre to restart this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College."

Old 07-17-2020, 05:32 PM

738 posts, read 416,057 times
I support renaming Tillman to Watson-Renfrow Hall or Lawrence-Ross Hall to promote racial unity and tweak Alabama grads/fans in perpetuity.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'm sorry, but southerners need to decide if they support all these "old school democrats" or not. How is it ok to talk about how awful they were generically (as democrats)... and then lionize them as individuals?
What percentage of people opposed to changing the name do you estimate 'lionize' Ben Tillman. He died over 100 years ago.

I doubt most people knew Tillman Hall was named after Ben Tillman or who Ben Tillman was.

I suspect the majority of Clemson's board of trustees votes Democrat yet you are trying to associate the decision with other people for self serving reasons. Universities tend to be dominated by Democrats.

What's interesting is Democrats will complain about these racist Democrats names being on buildings but they have no problem with continuing to use Ben Tillman's party's name and they nominated for president the son of a Democrat senator who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Al Gore. Not the best optics.

We don't hear people like you calling for Yale to change its name. Yale was a slave trader.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:31 PM

Apparently Yale never lived in the US after age 3.

His only connection to Yale was he donated some books, a portrait of king George 1 and 9 bales of goods. That is all it took to get the college to roll with Yale's name.

Yale was asked to donate to the college by Cotton Mather, a kook who was involved in the Salem witch trials.

Tillman was governor of SC and pushed for an agricultural college set up like Michigan State.
He also pushed for the first women's college in state Winthrop. It has a building named after Tillman too.

You won't see a guy in Oklahoma talking about Winthrop Tillman. Winthrop doesn't have a football team.

The push to rename Old Main to Tillman in the 1940s was by his son who followed daddy on the board of trustees.

It doesn't look like the motive was to lionize Tillman bc of his racism. It was good ol fashion nepotism and cronyism that prob still exists on the board . Prob at least one Tillman spawn on it.

Looks like the Yale president , students, and grads see no reason to cancel Yale's name. The president said Yale did t stand out for his time, Yale was a run of the mill slave trader according to the Yale prizzy.

If Yale had a colorful niickname like Pitchfork Ben Tillman , that would probably be the tipping poiint.

I guess it will be tough to pin the decision to stick with Yale's name on Republicans given its rep and location so they should be in the clear.

It is incredible more people in this country know more about Clemson history than they do Yale. This why I call Clemson America's University.

Looks like one of Tillman's big issues was campaign finance reform and he would be a raise taxes and spending guy, and pro union. This guy doesn't sound like Ronald Reagan. He seems similar to FDR.

I can't see him being cool with black people owning guns

If people are tearing down statues of Frederick Douglas and Lincoln, Pitchfork would be in world of hurt without gun confiscation

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 07-19-2020 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: See

Old 07-30-2020, 04:32 PM

It's been a good week for Clemson.

No covid positives after 800 plus Clemson athletes tested.

Two highly ranked football recruits committed and one highly ranked basketball recruit committed.

ACC only football schedule with Notre Dame remaining on schedule and adding va tech, Miami, and Pitt from other division.

SEC prohibited their teams playing out of conference so no SC.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Clemson's 2020 basketball recruiting class is ranked 20th in the nation and 4th in the ACC by 247 Sports. Only two spots behind UVA

I could not find any recruiting class history for Clemson but I think this is probably its highest ranked class.

There are significantly more competitive programs in basketball compared to football so this is pretty incredible for a university that doesn't make the tournament often.

I feel like Clemson may be a darkhorse to win the natty next spring with Amir Simms and an injured transfer big man back and the freshman bigs.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 08-06-2020 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
It was announced also that the process of renaming Sims would be started. It was recommended by the Presidential Commission. Of course, there will be the whole process of the General Assembly asking for an exemption of the Heritage act. I hope it gets renamed.

I saw an interesting post on Instagram that said we should rename the Strom Thurmond Wellness Center to the Dawn Staley Wellness Center. I dig that.

I voted Gary Johnson in 2016 as well.

Not to interrupt the discussion of the political candidates preference in an election 4 years ago on a Clemson topic, but UofSC has a dorm named Wade Hampton

Wade Hampton was even worse than Tillman. He was the first segregationist to win the governorship in SC at the end of Reconstruction and he used this gang called the Red Shirts to intimidate black republican voters .

He lionized by racists far more than Tillman and I believe there is still a huge statue of him in the major park in Charleston near King St. I think he was a general in the Confederate army . I think there is a John C Calhoun statue in that prestigious park in Charleston as well

I have never seen people who have a problem with Tillman Hall which includes a lot of UofSC people, talk about the Wade Hampton dorm at SC or the statue in Charleston

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 08-06-2020 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-06-2020, 11:04 AM

601 posts, read 458,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Knob View Post
I think there is a John C Calhoun statue in that prestigious park in Charleston as well
The big Calhoun statue in Charleston was taken down a few weeks ago.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:35 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
Quote:
Not to interrupt the discussion of the political candidates preference in an election 4 years ago on a Clemson topic, but UofSC has a dorm named Wade Hampton

Wade Hampton was even worse than Tillman.
You are woefully uneducated in the history of our state. Tillman was way worse than Hampton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Tillman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Hampton_III

Quote:
He was the first segregationist to win the governorship in SC at the end of Reconstruction and he used this gang called the Red Shirts to intimidate black republican voters .
The Red Shirts were not specifially associated with Hampton, but were a group that formed across te South post-reconstruction. Hampton allowed them to appear at his rallies, so he was complicit, but they were far from his organization.

Quote:
He lionized by racists far more than Tillman and I believe there is still a huge statue of him in the major park in Charleston near King St. I think he was a general in the Confederate army . I think there is a John C Calhoun statue in that prestigious park in Charleston as well

I have never seen people who have a problem with Tillman Hall which includes a lot of UofSC people, talk about the Wade Hampton dorm at SC or the statue in Charleston
Any source for the completely unfounded information? Much like a guy who used to post here called ClemVegas, you use unfounded broad strokes to make veiled references to points you can't support. Who are these included UofSC folk who rail against Tillman but not Hampton? Because I can tell you, students and alumni are fully supporting removing names and likenesses of Confederate and secessionist folks from campus. Although, as you should know, in many cases removal is at the discretion of the legislature in SC from government owned property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina