Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 23,258 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone- I just found this site today and am hoping to find some useful information. Any advice, opinions, or help would be definitely appreciated!!!!

I am 24 and my Fiance is 22. We currently live in Maryland and are looking to move South for a change while we still are young and without kids. I have a Bachelors Degree and my Fiance is about to finish her Master's in Social Work. So what we are looking for is a town that has great job potential, plenty of activities to keep us busy, safe, and an overall great place to start a career and family. Beaches are a plus too!

Thank you so much for any information you can give!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,484,493 times
What type of work will you be looking for? Your fiance's area of expertise would have openings in most cities so yours may determine a place to start looking.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM

221 posts, read 1,028,652 times
The state is fairly small, so even in the Upstate (the north west corner) you're still only 3 hours or so from Charleston and 4 hours from Myrtle Beach.

I'm partial to the Greenville area. Its just at the base of the SC mountains, and has a great culture about it. There are tons of annual festivals there, and its a short drive to some very nice state parks in the mountains.

Other options in SC would be Spartanburg, Columbia, Charleston, Florence, or Rock Hill (a SC 'burb of Charlotte). Each city has its own personality and differences.

Can you provide more information about what you're looking for in a place to live? Do you like bigger cities, or want a more rural area? Do you like the Arts? Do you like (profesional) Sports?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 PM

269 posts, read 1,007,327 times
Charleston,Charleston,Charleston!!!! lot's of things to do ,People your age,Families,Beaches.... Charleston!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,484,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
Charleston,Charleston,Charleston!!!! lot's of things to do ,People your age,Families,Beaches.... Charleston!
Charleston's a wonderful place, but in terms of finding a high-paying job in many fields they may be at a disadvantage. It would be helpful to know the career field he is in.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:57 AM

5,518 posts, read 15,288,621 times
Hi KevMan!

Charleston also has a much higher cost of living, not to mention it always carries the risk of a major hurricane making landfall and uprooting your life. These are things which should be taken into consideration when contemplating a relocation to the state. If you can afford to live in Charleston and prefer being on the warm/hot Lowcountry coast, I say go for it. If you are looking with an open mind, I am sure you will discover that both Greenville and Columbia have better business climates, along with plenty of big city amenities and cultural opportunities. Just be sure to look into each place before making a decision, and if possible, I highly recommend that you visit each city multiple times before moving.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:00 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,649,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
Yeah with heat/humidity, high insurance rates, hurricane threats, etc.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:21 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,992,780 times
Are you proposing that the rest of South Carolina is known for it's cold weather?

Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM

292 posts, read 823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevMan View Post
Hi Everyone- I just found this site today and am hoping to find some useful information. Any advice, opinions, or help would be definitely appreciated!!!!

I am 24 and my Fiance is 22. We currently live in Maryland and are looking to move South for a change while we still are young and without kids. I have a Bachelors Degree and my Fiance is about to finish her Master's in Social Work. So what we are looking for is a town that has great job potential, plenty of activities to keep us busy, safe, and an overall great place to start a career and family. Beaches are a plus too!

Thank you so much for any information you can give!!!!!
I can't let people deter you from the Charleston area [even though i'm a Columbia native] because areas like Summerville and West Ashley still have affordable housing there. And i'm sure that the sticker price won't be much of a shock considering you are coming from Maryland. The Charleston area does have beaches near by and just like the rest of the state it has a lot of activities. I'm not sure about the job market down there considering it's a "tourism first" city...but that's not to say it doesn't have a diversified job market though....like my bank is located in Charleston....Google is opening a data center in the metro area down there and they have a foot in the aviation sector.

I would put Myrtle Beach in the same category as Charleston....tons to do....beaches and beaches...but Myrtle Beach is truly a tourism area with a limited job market and i'm sure all the events [both bike weeks, spring breaks, sun festival and etc] won't make navigating very easy during the hot months. But their are plenty of attractions like Broadway at the Beach, House of Blues, that Hard Rock theme park and etc to enjoy.

I will lump Columbia and Greenville together to save typing time. Both of these areas have the most diverse job markets. Greenville has a Foothill Mountain setting while Columbia is on the Fall line with 3 river converging on it. Greenville has a strong engineering sector while Columbia has a strong education and government sector. Both cities off plenty to do with just as much outdoor activities as the coastal areas. Both cities are with a 80min drive to Charlotte and within a 2.5 to 3.5hr drive to Atlanta for a quick change of scenery if need be.

Rock Hill/Ft. Mill/Lancaster.... these are all near the NC boarder and are basically suburbs of Charlotte. So basically you will have to commute back and forth to Charlotte for jobs, most entertainment and etc. The advantage of this area is that Charlotte has tons to do...like pro teams [Panthers and Bobcats], music venues, museums, theme park and good shopping. The disadvantage would be the fact that you are living in a commuter city and gas ain't cheap...

I hope that helps....the main 3 cities all are different from each other which is what make them equal for the most part. But like stated above....visit all areas. I would say [even though someone may think i'm being biased] come to Columbia first and take day trips to each place [not because i want you to say in Columbia only, but because the drive to all the other areas are easier to make {Greenville 80min, Charleston 90min, Rock Hill 60min, Charlotte 80min, Myrtle Beach 140min} from this area.... but it would be fair to just say spend a day and night in each area if you can.

**runs out the thread before the natives gather up enough stones to throw at me**

Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM

7 posts, read 23,258 times
Thank you so much everyone for your advice. For a career field I'm pretty much open. I have done business administration and sales since out of college. So not sure exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I guess the best bet is to go to each of these areas and find out which one we would like best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina