Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The federal government?
The Reason Foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Reason Foundation.
Which gets their data from the Feds. That’s why every study says essentially the same thing.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Which gets their data from the Feds. That’s why every study says essentially the same thing.
No they don't. It's not about the data itself; it's about the methodology.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No they don't. It's not about the data itself; it's about the methodology.
And what political motivation do you think is at play here?

Do you care to post a link that claims California and New York have the countries best roads?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:13 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
Quote:

Do you care to post a link that claims California and New York have the countries best roads?
According to the "About Us" section of the reason.org website:

"Reason Foundation advances a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law."

They are self-described as a libertarian think tank. Most of their assessments of data are going to more heavily weight factors that seek to minimize government expenditures. This survey in particular puts an abnormally large weight on dollars spent per mile of road. It does that at the expense of weighting for capacity, road conditions, and other factors. I didn't see any weighting of mass transit or other measures to minimize pollution.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
It is a study looking at road conditions vs money spent on the roads. Mass transit and pollution are not related to the topic of the study.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
According to the "About Us" section of the reason.org website:

"Reason Foundation advances a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law."

They are self-described as a libertarian think tank. Most of their assessments of data are going to more heavily weight factors that seek to minimize government expenditures. This survey in particular puts an abnormally large weight on dollars spent per mile of road. It does that at the expense of weighting for capacity, road conditions, and other factors. I didn't see any weighting of mass transit or other measures to minimize pollution.
Data is still data. They also list percentage of deficient bridges, pavement surfaces quality and fatalities. Look up any website that ranks states by road quality there may be some differences in the weight of their ranking but in general SC never ends up anywhere near the bottom.

This website is interesting in that it also weighs how efficient the road spending is to achieve positive results, hence SC gets bumped to the top.
California for example has terrible road quality and high road taxes. Efficient tax spending is a key characteristic that we hold politicians accountable for any other time. The state’s roads could always use improvement but give them credit for what they are doing right.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:51 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:

I still think it still is based on cost per mile rich high taxed states are more. Traffic and deaths are added too. Take nc for example. No one cant say sc roads are 10x better than nc roads. More traffic yes. Higher cost because it cost more to build in cities and in mountains. Im from ct and they pave 95 every year due to the snow and salt trucks but the fact it gets paid every year is amazing but its very expensive to do anything because 95 in lower ffc goes through some of the most expensive parts of the United states. Its cheap to build roads in sc if you compare them to other states but sc just sont have thr money to even fix them

Old 04-26-2018, 01:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Regardless, SC roads still need a lot of work and safety improvements. Things have been done lately, but there is still plenty more that could and should be done. I dont care if Utah or Vermont has worse or better roads, its subjective and I dont drive in Utah or Vermont, comparing us with them doesnt change what I see here.

Quote:
Data is still data.
Ironic, I recently said this in another thread and you passionately disagreed...

Old 04-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Regardless, SC roads still need a lot of work and safety improvements. Things have been done lately, but there is still plenty more that could and should be done. I dont care if Utah or Vermont has worse or better roads, its subjective and I dont drive in Utah or Vermont, comparing us with them doesnt change what I see here.

Ironic, I recently said this in another thread and you passionately disagreed...
What thread was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina