Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, My small family and I are looking to move to a small town preferably in the state of SC where the goal of city officials is not population growth.

The reason I say that is because I've been living in a fairly small town for the past 10 years where the city officials main goal was population growth and expansion and if I had to take a guess, the city/town has grown 100% since I've been here. So in what it used to take someone 10 min drive to the grocery store, 30 mins at the store and 10 min back it now takes 30-40 drive to and from and about 1 hr to shop what used to take 30 mins. Crime has sore with road rage galore, drunk drivings, hit and runs are up to levels never seen before in this town and people in general are not nice.

I would like to find a nice quiet place to live and grow a family. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular as long as I can have a good job in the tech industry. what I mean is I don't need a town close to any touristic areas or with many amenities and community resources, festivals and such. Here they didn't have much of that when I moved here but it is close to a touristic area and most tourist come and see a small town close to the places they like to visit and then they move here. City officials in order to entice them not only for the visit but as permanent residents have created so many different "family" events that it is disgusting. every weekend there's something going on and traffic is horrendous. I understand that some folks do like this kind of life-style and it is fine with me but I just don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,120,866 times
Give us your definition of “small town.” To me, a small town is less than 15k. To others, it might mean less than 50k. Perspective is different for everyone.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:33 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,783,571 times
This is an excellent place to start: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

You will absolutely love it.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-26-2018, 01:25 PM

1,124 posts, read 918,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod291 View Post
Hey everyone, My small family and I are looking to move to a small town preferably in the state of SC where the goal of city officials is not population growth.

The reason I say that is because I've been living in a fairly small town for the past 10 years where the city officials main goal was population growth and expansion and if I had to take a guess, the city/town has grown 100% since I've been here. So in what it used to take someone 10 min drive to the grocery store, 30 mins at the store and 10 min back it now takes 30-40 drive to and from and about 1 hr to shop what used to take 30 mins. Crime has sore with road rage galore, drunk drivings, hit and runs are up to levels never seen before in this town and people in general are not nice.

I would like to find a nice quiet place to live and grow a family. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular as long as I can have a good job in the tech industry. what I mean is I don't need a town close to any touristic areas or with many amenities and community resources, festivals and such. Here they didn't have much of that when I moved here but it is close to a touristic area and most tourist come and see a small town close to the places they like to visit and then they move here. City officials in order to entice them not only for the visit but as permanent residents have created so many different "family" events that it is disgusting. every weekend there's something going on and traffic is horrendous. I understand that some folks do like this kind of life-style and it is fine with me but I just don't.
Try Sumter, Florence, Newberry, or Greenwood. Sumter and Newberry you may like more, as the other two seem the types of towns that are trying to grow rapidly. And if you choose Sumter or Newberry, Columbia is your option for visiting the nearby “big city.” Greenwood would be nearer Greenville. I can’t recommend any community near the coast as they’re all growing exponentially and aren’t what you’re looking for. Maybe Ridgeland near Beaufort?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,656,920 times
Look at Newberry and Camden. Sumter is the pits.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Give us your definition of “small town.” To me, a small town is less than 15k. To others, it might mean less than 50k. Perspective is different for everyone.
Yeah I'm with you..< 15k would be ideal.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I would definitely look up these areas and hopefully find the right fit. If you happen to think of any other please let me know.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
This is an excellent place to start: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

You will absolutely love it.

You're right I love the site. Very informative. Thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 06-12-2018 at 05:41 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 11:27 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,276,117 times
There are a lot of smaller towns in SC. Some will stay small due to their location off of the beaten path (not near interstates, not near the beach, etc.) but others will rapidly grow in the future. There are very few (if any) small towns in SC that are working to limit or control growth. Most small towns in SC would welcome any growth with open arms.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are a lot of smaller towns in SC. Some will stay small due to their location off of the beaten path (not near interstates, not near the beach, etc.) but others will rapidly grow in the future. There are very few (if any) small towns in SC that are working to limit or control growth. Most small towns in SC would welcome any growth with open arms.
...Those that are working to limit/control growth are the ones I'm interested in.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:40 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,276,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod291 View Post
...Those that are working to limit/control growth are the ones I'm interested in.
Have you considered the small towns in New England? SC is extremely pro-growth. I can't think of any small towns in SC that are trying to restrict growth in any significant way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina