Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,027,435 times

Advertisements

Clemson played great in the regular season. The play in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament and in the regional was shoddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,321,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Clemson played great in the regular season. The play in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament and in the regional was shoddy.
If I'm not mistaken, they lost to FSU by 1 in ACC tournament, and to Vanderbilt by 1 in their first game. FSU has been one of the best programs for a long time and Vandy has been good past 5 years or so.

It is pretty difficult to recover from an early loss in the regional because your team has to win two elimination games on the same day, and then a 3rd one the next day.

It is easy to criticize.

In my opinion, both the baseball and basketball tournaments take too many teams. It kind of makes the regular season less important. I probably would not take more than 16 teams if I was the college sports czar. Vandy and SC had 25 and 24 losses this year and still made the tournament. SC had some really bad losses to non Power 5 schools.

One thing that I learned this week is Clemson has the 5th most invitations to the tournament. It is also high on the list in trips to the World Series, with 12. That is one more than SC. I think Coastal has only been to CWS once and they won it on their only trip.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-05-2018 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Clemson led Game 4 against Vanderbilt 3-0 before bumming out to a 3-4 loss.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:02 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,598,077 times
A great regular season finished with a quick exit in the post season does not make for a good season. SC started slow and picked up steam. But Arkansas will be really tough at home.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:36 PM

I think Clemson wins a regional with East Carolina and UNC-Wilmington. That was probably the weakest regional. I believe the 4 seed in Clemson's regional beat Tennesse Tech to win their conference, and TT won Ole Miss's regional.

I don't think average sincere Gamecock fan would say a 47-16 season by the SC baseball team was not good if the team lost in a regional.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:02 PM

932 posts, read 1,638,102 times
I don,t normally watch anything orange and purple but since Carolina was in rain delay, it was the only thing on. The 'Dores handling of clem's son reminded the announcing crew of the 70pt pummeling from WVa in the orange bowl a few years back and rightfully so. THAT was funny, to bring that up.

just the same, I'm not a fan of Vandy either as the coach is ex-clemmy coach, but we are SEC STRONG.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 PM

That Orange Bowl game disaster involved Kevin Steele. Steele cannot coordinate defenses in the National Football League (Carolina Panthers' 1998 season) and at the collegiate level. He must have inspired another loser, Rob Ryan.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I don,t normally watch anything orange and purple but since Carolina was in rain delay, it was the only thing on. The 'Dores handling of clem's son reminded the announcing crew of the 70pt pummeling from WVa in the orange bowl a few years back and rightfully so. THAT was funny, to bring that up.

just the same, I'm not a fan of Vandy either as the coach is ex-clemmy coach, but we are SEC STRONG.
It is weird SC people are talking trash about Clemson given Clemson has dominated SC in football and baseball the past few years.

What has West Virginia done in football since that bowl game. Clemson has beat LSU, Ohio State twice, Oklahoma twice, and Alabama in bowls since then, not to mention a national title.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM

What has Clemson done in baseball recently besides nothing?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What has Clemson done in baseball recently besides nothing?
They just won the ACC tournament two seasons ago and tied for best regular season ACC record this year. They won 47 games this year, the 2nd most wins by a P5 school.

You said upthread that Clemson should 'consider' winning a national title, as though a team can win a title simply by considering it. There are a lot of good teams out there.

I don't follow baseball that closely but I don't think anybody thought Clemson was going to win a national title this year coming into the season, or have 47 wins. I think the baseball team surpassed expectations this year much like the basketball team did, and even the football team.

I think Clemson will win a national title in baseball eventually.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-05-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina