Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 15,748 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to South Carolina and were hoping to get some advice. We have it narrowed down to either Bluffton or Mt Pleasant. We have been to both places but for only spent a few days at each, so our experience is limited.

We are both in out 30's and have three boys all under 8 years old. My wife home schools and I am self employed and work from home.

We are looking to spend around 600-700 thousand on a home and we are pretty much home bodies and don't go out a lot as far as entertainment. Jus shopping and taking a day to the beach.

Mt Pleasant was nice but it seems like it is getting over populated. Bluffton seemed less congested and still seemed to be developing.

Any neighborhoods or communities you would recommend that we should check out in either area?

We aren't avid golfers, but like the idea of a golf course community for the atmosphere and the hope that the neighborhood will stay nice. So we actually looked at Hampton Hall and other golf communities in Bluffton.

But if we can find a nice community without having to pay the high POA fees that would be a plus.

Thank you for any advice or recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 12:46 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
I think Bluffton is much more laid back, but Mount Pleasant is a little closer to the action. Since you're homebodies and both hang out at the house all day, most of the population related issues probably won't matter much since you won't be intermingling with it either way. There's plenty of great neighborhoods in both locations. From there I would probably just do some real estate searches for which one has the better house for the same price. Unless there's something more specific they're both pretty good choices.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
I'd look first at technology availability. I note that you work from home. Is high speed access critical to that?

"If" you were to stop home schooling, such as a kid wanting to go to high school, MtP has much better schools.

However, pure aesthetics, I'd choose Bluffton.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 PM

11 posts, read 15,748 times
Thanks for the info. From what I have seen, Bluffton seems to be mainly golf course communities that have a POA. We liked Belfair but the POA is over $15,000 a year.

It would be nice to find a golf course with a POA of around 3-4 thousand.

Technology is important, my business lives on the internet so fast wireless is a must.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
I knew I had seen something about Bluffton internet.

Why only Hargray internet In Bluffton SC?

Old 06-20-2018, 05:07 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
I can’t speak for Bluffton, but Mount Pleasant’s internet options are legit.

Mount Pleasant has 4 golf course neighborhoods. Snee Farm (private), Charleston National, Rivertown, and Dunes West (all public). I don’t know about Snee Farm but the others don’t require you to join the club. Dunes West is gated, so you have to pay for that.

I personally wouldn’t want to live on the course itself. I launch balls into people’s houses and backyards all day. They don’t require you to actually be a good golfer to play there.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 AM

370 posts, read 325,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I knew I had seen something about Bluffton internet.

Why only Hargray internet In Bluffton SC?
This.

Hargray is your sole choice for high speed internet in Bluffton and it sucks. If you work from home, is this a consideration?

Also, will you be expected to fly to your home office every so often? Where is that located? Mt. Pleasant puts you closer to Charleston's airport, which does offer more flights than Savannah's airport (a 45 min drive from Bluffton).

Also consider there's one way in & one way out in Bluffton: Hwy 278...which you'll be sharing with all of the Hilton Head traffic.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:35 PM

334 posts, read 626,075 times
Bluffton is not an island, so 95 runs right there. Hilton Head has one way out, 278. Bluffton is Mainland, BIG difference. Might I suggest you consider Hilton Head island? Sounds like you and your boys would love Hilton Head plantation. miles of private bike trails, huge pool and lazy river, several golf courses, it's really beautiful and lots of activities for adults and kids. It was a fun place for us to live.
I never had much trouble with hargray internet, and when you call, you get a person, they were pretty quick with maintenance calls, and I never had one complaint with any employee. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina