Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM

1,124 posts, read 916,697 times

Advertisements

This is a question to all of you friends in our other great cities. How would you best describe Columbia. Would you recommend it to a friend? Would it make the list of great places to visit in South Carolina? How has it changed over the years, for good and bad? What are some things you remember? Some things you wish were different or would stay the same? Give me your most detailed account. And please, I know we here like to do the X city is better than X city. But let’s keep it civil, because all cities in South Carolina are great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:01 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Hot.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:37 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,273,414 times
The zoo is nice and the Saluda River down by that area provides a fun place to kayak after work. USC has a fairly nice campus that holds a lot of great childhood memories for me from when my dad was in college after serving in the Air Force. I was sad to see Frank's had closed closed but glad to see Andy's Deli was still open a few years ago when I was over in the area. I remember the hot dogs from Frank's having a really crisp bite and a great taste for their slaw dogs when I was a kid.

The nicer areas to live are all concentrated over on the West and Northwest side of town, while a lot of jobs are over on the other side of the river. That commuting pattern that is concentrated by the limited bridges over the river makes traffic there much worse than would normally be expected for a city of Columbia's size. A solution for malfunction junction is long overdue and I can only imagine the traffic nightmares that will ensue during construction.

We lived over near the Southwestern side of Fort Jackson while my dad was in college in a small house. I remember going back there 10 or so years ago and the neighborhood had become a pretty scary place to drive through. The area around the old Columbia Place Mall is also very run down. Columbia has a lot of areas that are very grungy and stand in contrast to the state capital grounds, the USC campus, and the upscale neighborhoods in Lexington, Irmo, and Chapin.

Coumbia is just not a town that I have ever found to be very appealing. I know it's only 3-4 degrees warmer than the Greenville area but Columbia just seems oppressively hot during the summer to me. It's kind of in that location that is too far from the beach and too far from the mountains for my personal preference. There is too much summer heat and it takes too long to get to the mountains or the beach to escape it on the weekends.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hot.
Quite “Famously” at that.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The zoo is nice and the Saluda River down by that area provides a fun place to kayak after work. USC has a fairly nice campus that holds a lot of great childhood memories for me from when my dad was in college after serving in the Air Force. I was sad to see Frank's had closed closed but glad to see Andy's Deli was still open a few years ago when I was over in the area. I remember the hot dogs from Frank's having a really crisp bite and a great taste for their slaw dogs when I was a kid.

The nicer areas to live are all concentrated over on the West and Northwest side of town, while a lot of jobs are over on the other side of the river. That commuting pattern that is concentrated by the limited bridges over the river makes traffic there much worse than would normally be expected for a city of Columbia's size. A solution for malfunction junction is long overdue and I can only imagine the traffic nightmares that will ensue during construction.

We lived over near the Southwestern side of Fort Jackson while my dad was in college in a small house. I remember going back there 10 or so years ago and the neighborhood had become a pretty scary place to drive through. The area around the old Columbia Place Mall is also very run down. Columbia has a lot of areas that are very grungy and stand in contrast to the state capital grounds, the USC campus, and the upscale neighborhoods in Lexington, Irmo, and Chapin.

Coumbia is just not a town that I have ever found to be very appealing. I know it's only 3-4 degrees warmer than the Greenville area but Columbia just seems oppressively hot during the summer to me. It's kind of in that location that is too far from the beach and too far from the mountains for my personal preference. There is too much summer heat and it takes too long to get to the mountains or the beach to escape it on the weekends.
Thanks for the reply. I might add that I always found that peculiar. While it may not have the appeal of the beach, there’s still Lake Murray. And the coldest water I’ve ever stepped foot in was the Saluda River in the Fall. It comes from the bottom of the lake. There’s plenty of water to escape the heat, maybe you’re right though. It’s just location. I think maybe a little more river development wouldn’t hurt. I’m also only twenty so I’ve never heard of Franks. But I’ll have to ask my mom about it. Haha. I’m sure it was good.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:32 PM

5,480 posts, read 8,285,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
This is a question to all of you friends in our other great cities. How would you best describe Columbia. Would you recommend it to a friend? Would it make the list of great places to visit in South Carolina? How has it changed over the years, for good and bad? What are some things you remember? Some things you wish were different or would stay the same? Give me your most detailed account. And please, I know we here like to do the X city is better than X city. But let’s keep it civil, because all cities in South Carolina are great. Thanks
For some reason it feels hotter there when I visit, but all of the state gets hot. It has a great state museum and a very nice zoo.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:51 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times
A young lady I know was born and raised in Spartanburg, and said if she moved back to SC it would probably be to Columbia, because it's a college town. Somewhere I read (probably here) that Columbia is located in a sort of "bowl" and that makes it feel hotter - don't know if that's B.S. or not. If you look at the temperature graphs here on C-D for Columbia vs. Greenville, it is a couple of degrees hotter on the average in the summer.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:03 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,273,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
The coldest water I’ve ever stepped foot in was the Saluda River in the Fall. It comes from the bottom of the lake.
Have you ever been to the Nantahala in Western NC? That water is about 5 degrees colder than even the Saluda below Murray.

You missed out not eating a Frank's Hot Dog. The place was a dive but it was a fixture on that corner for many decades.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:24 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
A young lady I know was born and raised in Spartanburg, and said if she moved back to SC it would probably be to Columbia, because it's a college town. Somewhere I read (probably here) that Columbia is located in a sort of "bowl" and that makes it feel hotter - don't know if that's B.S. or not. If you look at the temperature graphs here on C-D for Columbia vs. Greenville, it is a couple of degrees hotter on the average in the summer.
It's not in a "bowl;" it's in the Sandhills and I think the dry, sandy soil that characterizes the region has a lot to do with it.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:18 PM

513 posts, read 573,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Columbia is a very hot place in the summer, no doubt. Just using a limited sample from this month, CAE had an average daily high of 93.5 for July. GSP only reached 93 twice with an average daily high of 87.6, for an average difference of 5.9 degrees. Add to that the fact that Columbia usually heats up faster in the am and takes longer to cool down in the pm and it makes for a lot more time in the 90+ and 80+ ranges.
Columbia's temps do drop off in the predawn hours to a little closer to that of GSP, so the overall daily average is a little closer, 83.5 for CAE vs 78.8 for GSP. But that is still a spread of 4.7 for this month. Columbia also has more air moisture than the upstate so you have higher real feel or heat index, especially April through Sept.
The amount of moisture in the air is best measured using the dewpoint, NOT the relative humidity that more people are familiar with. It is called relative humidity because the amount of moisture air can hold changes with temp. 50% humidity is not the same amount of moisture at 80 and 88 degrees. 88 degree air can hold more total moisture than 80 degree air, so if the relative humidity numbers are the same there is more total moisture in the air at 88 than there is at 80. For that reason, it is better to use dewpoints to show how soupy the air is. While CAE often has a similar or even slightly below relative humidity than GSP, because it is 4-8 (and sometimes more) degrees hotter, it almost always has a higher dew point with soupier air. Thus the real feel, or heat index is often 8-12 degrees higher than GSP. That's why it feels so much hotter to upstaters.

Last edited by distortedlogic; 07-31-2018 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina