U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 5,482 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm hoping a few locals can help me. I live in Northeast Ohio and will be retiring within ten years. This sounds like a lot of time, but it really isn't. So, I'm making retirement plans now. I'm thinking of retiring in Anderson County, SC. My plan is to buy a home then rent it out to help pay it. Is Anderson County, SC a good place for me and my family? I'm a Catholic, white male, honorably discharged and decorated from the US Army. I've a Bachelor degree and I do have some Southern roots in my family. My wife is Chinese. She was an RN who switched over to IT. She will soon have a Master Degree. From what I know, Anderson County has several college towns so being in a mixed marriage shouldn't be a problem. I would like to hear from those in the know, though. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:20 AM

1,015 posts, read 267,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde100200 View Post
Hello. I'm hoping a few locals can help me. I live in Northeast Ohio and will be retiring within ten years. This sounds like a lot of time, but it really isn't. So, I'm making retirement plans now. I'm thinking of retiring in Anderson County, SC. My plan is to buy a home then rent it out to help pay it. Is Anderson County, SC a good place for me and my family? I'm a Catholic, white male, honorably discharged and decorated from the US Army. I've a Bachelor degree and I do have some Southern roots in my family. My wife is Chinese. She was an RN who switched over to IT. She will soon have a Master Degree. From what I know, Anderson County has several college towns so being in a mixed marriage shouldn't be a problem. I would like to hear from those in the know, though. Thank you.
Hi! In a nutshell, I say yes, it is worth it for you to look into. You will ultimately decide if it feels right for you, everyone's different, but I do recommend that you come visit and spend some time here as much as possible over the next several years and get a feel for the place. Explore different corners of Anderson County. You've got rural, suburban, urban and college-townish all bumped up against each other. The best of all worlds. If it feels right for you, don't fear about what category you and your wife fit into. DH and I are northeasterners as well, have been living down here full time for several years (but bought our house and fixed it up over several years before that, once we decided we wanted to settle here). We don't fit the typical conservative Christian southerner profile at all but have found the people to be warm and friendly. You can set social boundaries and embrace friendships as you would anywhere, and you will find your groups and your people as time goes on. There is a tiny Chinese and South Asian population here, but they exist.

My overriding impression of Anderson county compared to our native NYC and even Long Island, and I imagine Ohio, too, is that it's quiet. People are softspoken and reserved and well mannered in public social situations. I love that! If they honk their horn at you, it's to wave hello. If you're loud and raucous, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. But I have a feeling such is not the case with you and your wife.

Two of our neighbors are retired military, and we love having them as neighbors. Military people are well loved and respected down here, and I bet you'll find your people in that vein as well.

As you can imagine, the churches are mostly Baptist and United Methodist although there are some very beautiful Catholic churches around as well in Anderson, Clemson and such.

We started checking out Anderson County back in 2009, chose it over all the other places we could have landed, and have no regrets.

Wishing you all the best.

Last edited by barb712; 09-07-2018 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 PM

2,781 posts, read 2,984,897 times
I guess that would depend a lot on who you are. Upstate SC is pretty conservative and protestant, and Anderson County is even more so with both of those qualities. There are not a lot of Catholics in Anderson county so if your religion is a big aspect of your life, it might not be the best fit. The only significant college in Anderson County is Anderson University, which is a small Southern Baptist University. You may be thinking of Clemson University which is in Pickens County (but close to the border with Anderson and Oconee Counties, with some satellite facilities in both counties).

It is difficult to manage a long distance rental unless you plan to hire a management company, and then it is tough to turn a profit on the rental unless you put down a significant down payment.

In your situation, I'd advise making several long (week or longer) visits to the area at differing times of the year to judge how the area fits your needs. The Greenville area is likely to have more people of a similar background than you will find in Anderson.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:43 PM

OP: Pendleton, Sandy Springs and Clemson are all worth looking into. Greenville is an option but a more crowded and expensive one.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:10 PM

13,766 posts, read 12,805,151 times
Where the he!! is Anderson? I found it. Appears to be on the edge of nowhere.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM

20,922 posts, read 24,870,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde100200 View Post
If I were to retire to Anderson County, I would like to be near Lake Hartwell or in the Concord Avenue area in Anderson.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If I were to retire to Anderson County, I would like to be near Lake Hartwell or in the Concord Avenue area in Anderson.
The 81 corridor (E. Greenville Street) or just off it would be good, too. Lots of nice subdivisions, ample shopping, Anmed offices and facilities (which is Anderson's healthcare system).

Old 04-16-2020, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,482 times
To all who replied to my inquiry: Thank you. My family went to visit Anderson and my wife instantly fell in love with it; and my wife is not someone who is easily impressed. We traveled around Anderson and the surrounding area and felt so at home that we, ultimately, bought a house. I did my best to keep everything local; that is, local realtor, local management company, and local financing. We did put 20% down so the monthly payments are reasonable. The house we bought rented quickly and is currently rented. We clear a few hundred dollars per month from the rent payments so thus far everything is working out quite nicely. I look forward to moving to Anderson and enjoying my time on Lake Hartwell. I think my wife looks forward to Anderson more so than I do. Again, to all of you who offered your valuable input: Thank you! Blonde100200

Old 05-18-2020, 10:59 AM

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you and your family.

Last edited by barb712; 05-18-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina