Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 PM

71 posts, read 145,747 times

Advertisements

Hi we are looking to move to Hilton Head or somewhere on the Grand Strand to retire with our son who is an autistic adult. We are having trouble finding out about any adult programs for autistic adults in the state, let alone the areas we want to move to. Does anyone have any information on this subject? Contact info? Name of any programs? Which area of the state has the best or most to offer in services for autistic adults? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 07:13 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyp21 View Post
Hi we are looking to move to Hilton Head or somewhere on the Grand Strand to retire with our son who is an autistic adult. We are having trouble finding out about any adult programs for autistic adults in the state, let alone the areas we want to move to. Does anyone have any information on this subject? Contact info? Name of any programs? Which area of the state has the best or most to offer in services for autistic adults? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us!
South Carolina is a low tax, small government state. State and local programs for this type of support are going to be few and far between. I'd guess you are having trouble finding them because they don't exist.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
I googled “autism services greenville” and got this. Project Hope Foundation

“Autism services Hilton Head”. Yielded this. Lowcountry Autism Foundation

I’m sure you can do the same for the midlands cities (Columbia area) as well as Horry County areas.

Best of luck

Old 09-24-2018, 10:03 AM

29 posts, read 109,027 times
I recently joined a SC Autism FB group because I was looking for the same info- I was basically told to stay away because there were waiting lists for everything, even Medicaid.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:34 AM

LusterLeaf -- Really? I know that you have to reapply for Medicaid whenever you move to another state. I was told that waiting list is typically anywhere from 30 to 90 days -- the same for any state you want to move to -- so, you can be without Medicaid for as long as 3 months; however, you would be reimbursed for any medical expenses during that time. This seems to be the same story in every state, as far as Medicaid.

For adult autistic programs -- I'm having a hard time trying to find any info whatsoever in states like South Carolina or Florida. I did contact the SC autism society, and a woman told me that the waiting lists have improved greatly from 10 years ago -- as to how long the average wait time is, I do not know. A few years ago, someone said it could take 7 years -- but this woman said it is now less than that. Still -- my questions on what programs are actually available are not really answered -- maybe, as someone else said, there just aren't any, since I can't find one person to point me to one, and I can't find any reference to SC adult programs on the internet that actually give details on a specific program for autistic adults or adults with disabilities. We are 65.....so, at some point residential programs will also be in play for us in the near future for our son.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:06 PM

29 posts, read 109,027 times
I can only comment what this individual told me. She said her son is 26 and number 7,000 on the waiting list for Medicaid. I would have loved to relocate to SC for better cost of living (we are in NY now), but doesn't look like it will pan out for us especially since my son will most likely need services into adulthood.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:21 PM

I hear you. We are also looking into Georgia and North Carolina...but I fear that I will find the same (nothing).

Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
Hello everyone,
We're in Columbia, and we have a 26 year old son who is autistic. SC is behind the power curve when it comes to adult special needs. Aaron (our son) is moderate to severe and still has outbursts, but we were fortunate to fine a daycare for him in the Columbia area. Hopebridge at the Hollies has several location in the area. They need to update their website, because it doesn't have a good representation of what's available. My son goes to their facility in West Columbia setup for young adults or those that have a youthful personality.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Hi -- Thanks for that info....I will have to look that one up. Someone also mentioned PEP (Program for Exceptional People) in Hilton Head. Have you ever heard of that?

Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
SC is not known for its Social Services. It is known for its low taxes and that is the linkage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina