U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,589 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a warm place to retire. We'd like to move to a coastal area in South Carolina, but are afraid of hurricanes, flooding, etc... We realize that it's a risk. Does anyone know anything about the Lake Marion area or Hilton Head and the risk of hurricanes or flooding? We are looking for a peaceful place to live. Our son is about to graduate from college and we recently lost our youngest son to suicide and want to find an area that offers warmer weather and perhaps a water view if possible. Any suggestions?

Last edited by kalans; 09-25-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 04:30 PM

20,926 posts, read 24,961,079 times
Coastal areas are prone to hurricanes and flooding. Georgetown and Horry counties are witnessing the aftermath of Florence. If you want to avoid low elevations, I would look around Lake Marion.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:39 PM

7,096 posts, read 5,470,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalans View Post
My husband and I are looking for a warm place to retire. We'd like to move to a coastal area in South Carolina, but are afraid of hurricanes, flooding, etc... We realize that it's a risk. Does anyone know anything about the Lake Marion area or Hilton Head and the risk of hurricanes or flooding? We are looking for a peaceful place to live. Our son is about to graduate from college and we recently lost our youngest son to suicide and want to find an area that offers warmer weather and perhaps a water view if possible. Any suggestions?
If you're looking for a quiet, peaceful retirement, look into areas such as Vance, Eutawville, Bowman, on the southern side of Lake Marion. There have been times, on the lakes, where large storm systems have kicked up quite a frenzy of waves, though we don't have major flooding on the two lakes. Being that the areas around Lakes Marion and Moultrie are relatively rural, you have to really enjoy that lifestyle. Santee is another area that has a more snow bird resort type feel. Manning is a bit larger on the northern side of the lake.

Personally I'd want to stay on the southern half though, as you're much closer to Charleston/Summerville and can get to the beach in about 1.5 hours.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:59 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,011,177 times
This is a hoot.You are telling us that Santee has a "resort type of feel"? I live in a small town, and generally love them all, but come on! Hey, I'll meet you at Cooper's store and buy a BBQ sandwich to eat in the parking and we can discuss!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:27 AM

7,096 posts, read 5,470,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
This is a hoot.You are telling us that Santee has a "resort type of feel"? I live in a small town, and generally love them all, but come on! Hey, I'll meet you at Cooper's store and buy a BBQ sandwich to eat in the parking and we can discuss!
There's even a development called Santee Cooper Resort. Two national golf courses. Compared to... let's say Vance, it most certainly has a more resort feel. Snowbirds and lakefront condos as well. It's still a small rural town, but has a little more to offer than most of the lake area.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:54 AM

13,822 posts, read 12,894,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
There's even a development called Santee Cooper Resort. Two national golf courses. Compared to... let's say Vance, it most certainly has a more resort feel. Snowbirds and lakefront condos as well. It's still a small rural town, but has a little more to offer than most of the lake area.
I agree.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,589 times
Thanks so much for the helpful information.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 PM

4,821 posts, read 6,827,326 times
It really depends on your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina