Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:38 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,260,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I wish the 19 miles of 85 between Georgia and Anderson would be done asap. Still trying to figure out why so much of 85 is only 4 lanes with all the truck traffic, yet roads like 75 are 6 in the middle of nowhere Georgia.
If SC widened that stretch, it would still dump into 4 lanes in Georgia. I don't understand why Georgia has neglected I-85 north out of Atlanta. They are finally starting to widen it but it should have been done a decade or more ago.

In SC, the stretch of I-85 north out of Spartanburg is finally being widened, and it is also long overdue. The truck traffic along that stretch makes it hard to dive even the speed limit much of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 09:01 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,240,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If SC widened that stretch, it would still dump into 4 lanes in Georgia. I don't understand why Georgia has neglected I-85 north out of Atlanta. They are finally starting to widen it but it should have been done a decade or more ago.

In SC, the stretch of I-85 north out of Spartanburg is finally being widened, and it is also long overdue. The truck traffic along that stretch makes it hard to dive even the speed limit much of the time.
You're right, GDOT is starting to widen I-85 going north, slowly but surly. They just started a project that will be done in 2020 to widen the road to 3 lanes to GA-53: I-85 Widening (I-985 to SR 53)

I think Georgia, like South Carolina and North Carolina and pretty much every state has their own set of priorities and these priorities don't always jive with neighboring states. Should I-85 be at least 3 lanes from Durham to Atlanta, sure, but I feel GDOT, right now at least, is more interested in adding HOT lanes throughout the Atlanta metroplex.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:39 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,260,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You're right, GDOT is starting to widen I-85 going north, slowly but surly. They just started a project that will be done in 2020 to widen the road to 3 lanes to GA-53: I-85 Widening (I-985 to SR 53)

I think Georgia, like South Carolina and North Carolina and pretty much every state has their own set of priorities and these priorities don't always jive with neighboring states. Should I-85 be at least 3 lanes from Durham to Atlanta, sure, but I feel GDOT, right now at least, is more interested in adding HOT lanes throughout the Atlanta metroplex.
I can't think of many places on I-85 between Atlanta and Virginia where the road shouldn't be 3 lanes in each direction. The stretch of I-85 that Georgia is widening to 3 lanes should really be widened to 4 lanes. They should be widening all of I-85 to 3 lanes to the SC border. I have noticed in recent years that as they replace bridges and overpasses on I-85 that they are putting in ones that can span additional lanes which should make the eventual widening easier.

The extra lane they are currently adding around the I-985 split up to the Mall of Georgia interchange is going to instantly be insufficient to handle even normal traffic. It's hard for me to imagine what that area is like during peak commuting times. They appear to also be adding additional toll lanes along that stretch but those won't do much to alleviate traffic.

They are spending a fortune to build what is essentially a secondary elevated interstate for I-75 North of Atlanta as a toll route. Even with tolls, it's hard to imagine that project ever paying for what has to be an enormous cost.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:26 PM

8,141 posts, read 13,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
That’s supposed to get underway in the next few years, it’s in this 10 year plan.

Surprised that no one mentioned I-26 to Orangeburg... that stretch is a death trap... A third lane would atleast require a concrete median to stop cars and especially trucks from potentially crossing over into oncoming traffic.. Not to mention that most truck drivers drive like the clown truck from the Carolina cult classic movie with Emilo Estevez....... Maximum Overdrive.......

Old 10-27-2018, 01:14 AM

152 posts, read 349,014 times
I would hope that any area of interstate (especially I-95) that flooded during Matthew & Florence would be raised to avoid the same mess in the future. Having an interstate flood, especially the main US east coast, north-south corridor, is inexcusable. I'm also one who thinks having the entire length of I-95 from the NC to the GA state line three-laned and well lit would send a message to those millions passing through: SC isn't the cheapskate, backwater state that it is perceived to be.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:49 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,857,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
I would hope that any area of interstate (especially I-95) that flooded during Matthew & Florence would be raised to avoid the same mess in the future. Having an interstate flood, especially the main US east coast, north-south corridor, is inexcusable. I'm also one who thinks having the entire length of I-95 from the NC to the GA state line three-laned and well lit would send a message to those millions passing through: SC isn't the cheapskate, backwater state that it is perceived to be.
Keyword is “passing through”. If they want 3 lanes to get to Florida they can pay for it.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:36 PM

513 posts, read 570,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Keyword is “passing through”. If they want 3 lanes to get to Florida they can pay for it.
Seems like it would be pretty easy to add a "tax" for out of state drivers on all interstates to help pay for passing through. Add ten cents a gallon to all those stations and give a "discount" for everyone with a SCDL.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:40 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,857,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Seems like it would be pretty easy to add a "tax" for out of state drivers on all interstates to help pay for passing through. Add ten cents a gallon to all those stations and give a "discount" for everyone with a SCDL.
That’s what I didn’t understand about the gas tax fight. Seems pretty easy solution to me. It’s not like there’s a lot of voters around I-95 that would fight it. One the flip side there’s probably not a lot of voters demanding widening it either. If given a choice, most people want to spend money in their home districts first.

Otherwise at this point I just don’t see the traffic on I-95 that requires a 3rd lane until you start approaching Savannah and everything gets backed up during holidays (everyone seems to want to run into each other for some reason when they see those 3 lanes in GA). There’s pretty much no urban traffic at all. Same story with NC which is probably why they haven’t done it either.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:18 PM

8,141 posts, read 13,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That’s what I didn’t understand about the gas tax fight. Seems pretty easy solution to me. It’s not like there’s a lot of voters around I-95 that would fight it. One the flip side there’s probably not a lot of voters demanding widening it either. If given a choice, most people want to spend money in their home districts first.

Otherwise at this point I just don’t see the traffic on I-95 that requires a 3rd lane until you start approaching Savannah and everything gets backed up during holidays (everyone seems to want to run into each other for some reason when they see those 3 lanes in GA). There’s pretty much no urban traffic at all. Same story with NC which is probably why they haven’t done it either.
That the likely the core of the issue. Pave or widen local streets and roads vs interstate for people passing through or maybe tourists bound for Charleston. Unless an industry is planning to plop down and demands wider roads for trucks. I doubt it will be a priority over local roads or roads like 85 26 or 20 the serve the states largest more populated and politically powerful areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina