Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah on the whole, SC isn't in competition with DC at all. I mean you can certainly make comparisons between the two across certain industries but typically you're not seeing working professionals from DC look at SC as a place to relocate to escape higher costs of living while still having similar professional opportunities. Fort Mill and Indian Land are probably as close as it gets due to economic spillover from and proximity to Charlotte.
Engineers aren’t considered “working professionals”?
Don’t take this the wrong way because I know you work there and all but you would have to pay me double to live in DC. It’s probably last on my list of US cities to live in. I’ve never met anybody who moved to DC just because they love DC. I have met an infinite amount of people who moved to SC just because they wanted to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 07:27 PM

37,874 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Engineers aren’t considered “working professionals”?
Don’t take this the wrong way because I know you work there and all but you would have to pay me double to live in DC. It’s probably last on my list of US cities to live in. I’ve never met anybody who moved to DC just because they love DC. I have met an infinite amount of people who moved to SC just because they wanted to live here.
White-collar professionals.

Oh there are plenty of people who move to DC because they love it but they tend to be college grads and younger professionals.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:09 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Bottom line is generally wages will be less in SC. How much less depends on what one is making elsewhere.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:20 PM

680 posts, read 533,701 times
Following up on the original post, considering a move from MI to SC. I just got back from spending 10 days in Simpsonville. 2 days the weather was nice and we(wife & I) visited Greenville. The rest of the time it was cold and rainy unfortunately. Loved downtown Greenville, especially by the water. Everyone was friendly. Gas was cheaper. I liked the fact there's a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, and other stores. Woodruff Rd. was a mess traffic wise, but it wasn't much worse than other cities. Was surprised at the condition of roads in SC. I don't know if the whole state is that way or not, but they were rough and potholes are common, reminded me of MI almost. The west side of Greenville is not a place I'd want to live, we visited a nursing home there often(should be shutdown, horrible nursing home). Simpsonville was decent, although we visited a relative who is paying $875 for a crime infested crappy apartment. I thought that rent was excessive considering it was older, small, and not well maintained. Driving further out, near the neighborhood market Walmart, it got nicer. Fountain Inn was peaceful and I saw a lot of new houses being built, very small town though. In a nutshell, nothing blew me away, where I feel like I need to move there. Didn't seem much different than MI. Haven't decided completely. We're visiting family again there next year, and can checkout the area a little more, with hopefully nicer weather.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Following up on the original post, considering a move from MI to SC. I just got back from spending 10 days in Simpsonville. 2 days the weather was nice and we(wife & I) visited Greenville. The rest of the time it was cold and rainy unfortunately. Loved downtown Greenville, especially by the water. Everyone was friendly. Gas was cheaper. I liked the fact there's a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, and other stores. Woodruff Rd. was a mess traffic wise, but it wasn't much worse than other cities. Was surprised at the condition of roads in SC. I don't know if the whole state is that way or not, but they were rough and potholes are common, reminded me of MI almost. The west side of Greenville is not a place I'd want to live, we visited a nursing home there often(should be shutdown, horrible nursing home). Simpsonville was decent, although we visited a relative who is paying $875 for a crime infested crappy apartment. I thought that rent was excessive considering it was older, small, and not well maintained. Driving further out, near the neighborhood market Walmart, it got nicer. Fountain Inn was peaceful and I saw a lot of new houses being built, very small town though. In a nutshell, nothing blew me away, where I feel like I need to move there. Didn't seem much different than MI. Haven't decided completely. We're visiting family again there next year, and can checkout the area a little more, with hopefully nicer weather.
Cost of living probably isn't huge between MI and SC. What's you'd basically be getting is much warmer and shorter winters, very little snow and ice, and much closer to warm water beaches and mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina