Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 4,952 times

Advertisements

We are a looking for a home for us and our 10 kids. Our credit is like a 540. We dont make 3x rental. On a good note we both can transfer our jobs and we have like $12,000 to come with. We are trying to relocate, fix our credit so we can start over and eventually buy a home. Can anyone give us input, ideas or areas to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Are you seeking employment in South Carolina? If yes, what job would you be seeking?

Where in South Carolina are you considering to locate?

Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgreen242 View Post
We are a looking for a home for us and our 10 kids. Our credit is like a 540. We dont make 3x rental. On a good note we both can transfer our jobs and we have like $12,000 to come with. We are trying to relocate, fix our credit so we can start over and eventually buy a home. Can anyone give us input, ideas or areas to look?
It’s not doable. You’ve got to make at least 3 times rent or have a guarantor at literally every apartment. And usually fire code says two to a bedroom max anyhow. Your best bet is a home rented by the owner. They can be tricky to find, and usually require you to personally drive around. I know of a home in Chapin, SC like this for rent a while back. But it’s probably been rented. Entirely doable that way, just harder and trickier. Me and my husband just bought our first house. The first time home buyer program makes it very easy, nothing down, no deposits, no out of pocket closing costs. As long as you have at least a 620 credit score and neither of you have any missed major payments (student loans, car, rent, credit cards) then you’ll qualify. Best of luck to you. Also, based on circumstances, avoid the coasts. They can get costly. Especially with ten kids. Stick to the Midlands (Columbia, Lexington, Newberry, Sumter, Orangeburg), SC Charlotte Suburbs (York, Fort Mill, Rock Hill), the S.C. portion of the CSRA (Aiken, North Augusta), the Upstate (Greenville, Spartanburg, Mauldin, Anderson), or the Peedee (Florence). Also, I would suggest if you do move here, apply for some sorts of welfare programs (Section 8, SNAP, housing vouchers, etc). It’ll make the transition much easier.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:05 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
I have a friend who's got 9 kids and his wife doesn't work. They have been getting by just fine for years on just one income (his income is around 150k per year). They have a custom home they had built in an upper middle class neighborhood and so yes it's doable. When you have kids, you have different priorities and allocate your money different from families with less children, but it's doable.

Have you considered a rent-to-own situation until you're able to establish your credit again? Rent-to-own is a big commitment on your part as there is typically a large up front deposit and if you're ever late on a payment, the owner has the right to repossess their home from you, but at the end of your agreed time of rental, you will have equity put aside for the purchase of that home. Just as a possibility, this might open you up to a larger selection of properties that your family would fit in.

I agree with Brandon that it's going to be tough to find an apartment style home that would suit 10 children, you're much better off finding a large home to rent/rent-to-own,

Old 11-10-2018, 03:25 PM

I am looking for a home. Definitely not an apartment. Lol.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:00 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
Maybe it would help if you could suggest a maximum budget and area in SC that you are seeking so people can zero in on an area.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 AM

Yes. I'm looking in greenville area and budget is 1800 a month. Another problem I've come across is we dont make 3x the rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina