Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:07 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Lexington is a core county of the Columbia metro so in that case, Orangeburg would become part of the Columbia MSA.
I would not consider orangeburg a part of Columbia even if it was included
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 07:23 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I would not consider orangeburg a part of Columbia even if it was included
I would. Especially with how traffic backs up on 26 during afternoon rush hour. It’s just as far away as Sumter, but closer time wise thanks to the interstate.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:05 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,483 times
I was in North, SC a few weeks ago and upon driving back via 321, you can see some pretty flattering views of the downtown skyline not long after you enter Lexington County from Orangeburg. The northern part is certainly close enough to warrant commuter traffic, especially with the development south of Columbia starting to show life (12 street extension, Gaston area). Maybe once you get down to the city if Orangeburg itself, perhaps not so much, but fact of the matter is when there are no jobs, people are willing to drive. Case in point with the persons house I visited for a family event just outside of North; he commutes to Jenkinsville every day. Yes, well over an hour every day

Old 04-14-2019, 06:32 AM

I just think it paints a false picture of Columbia actual me. For example Greenville area. Not csa. Metro. Saids it's just has large has Greensboro metro. Anyone that has been to both places know Greensboro area is much bigger than Greenville area. It's just that Greenville covers more areas adding to the numbers.

So someone that wants to move to either one of these areas due to population might choose Greenville because it's just as big on paper but in reality it is a vast difference.

These are 2015 population totals I am going off of also but it's just to give an example.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
I just think it paints a false picture of Columbia actual me. For example Greenville area. Not csa. Metro. Saids it's just has large has Greensboro metro. Anyone that has been to both places know Greensboro area is much bigger than Greenville area. It's just that Greenville covers more areas adding to the numbers.
Wait, what? The Greensboro MSA isn't "much bigger" than the Greenville MSA at all, nor does it feel that way for the most part. Only if you add neighboring Winston-Salem does the region feel larger.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,319,551 times
Quote:

So someone that wants to move to either one of these areas due to population might choose Greenville because it's just as big on paper but in reality it is a vast difference.

These are 2015 population totals I am going off of also but it's just to give an example.
Huh? Okay

Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wait, what? The Greensboro MSA isn't "much bigger" than the Greenville MSA at all, nor does it feel that way for the most part. Only if you add neighboring Winston-Salem does the region feel larger.
Yes I am adding in Winston salem.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:

This makes no sense.

Greensboro city - 290,000
Greenville city (with NC laws) - 280,000 - 300,000

Guilford County - 526,000
Greenville County - 506,000

Greensboro MSA (not including WS next door) - 761,000
Greenville MSA (not including Spartanburg next door) - 895,000

Piedmont Triad - 5,954 sq miles - 1.6 million
Upstate - 5,194 sq miles - 1.4 million

Both cities mirror each other pretty well and could be considered regional twins. Same could be said with G-SP and G-WS. Not sure what you're talking about. Also who moves to some place just because of population? If someone was choosing between Greenville and Greensboro, I feel like the job, commute, and pay they could get in either would be a little more important of a deciding factor.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:17 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Why does MSA even matter?

Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,748,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Why does MSA even matter?
When you consider that an MSA includes everyone in the most remote, most rural part of every county included in the designated MSA, including those who haven’t been to the city or even a suburban shopping mall in at least a year, good question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina