U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:40 PM

486 posts, read 431,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I dont get too excited about the city estimates as they're all somewhat inaccurate to wildly inaccurate. Hilton Head is the only one imo that's true. Greenville is easily at least 4.5x larger than those numbers. There's over 80,000 people in NE Columbia who are in "Columbia", but aren't counted. I believe there's around 150,000 people with a Summerville zip code.

Still cool to track the growth, but hard to ignore the lack of annexations and all the donut holes.
It really is hard to make any true comparisons in this state. Even Greenville suburbs, which are fast growing are much smaller than Charleston suburbs in terms of area. Mt Pleasant has 45 square miles of land area, whereas Greer only has 20 and Mauldin only has 10. Heck, Greenville itself only has 28 square miles of land area, much smaller than Mt Pleasant. N Charleston; 73. MUCH more of Charleston county is incorporated with its suburbs covering much more area, so naturally it and it's burbs are going to look a lot bigger population wise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 06:43 AM

10,397 posts, read 14,999,001 times
No significant annexations that I am aware of have occurred in any of the state’s largest cities in the last two or three years, so any estimates of population gains or losses are pretty much within rather fixed boundaries for each city.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 10,442,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
It really is hard to make any true comparisons in this state. Even Greenville suburbs, which are fast growing are much smaller than Charleston suburbs in terms of area. Mt Pleasant has 45 square miles of land area, whereas Greer only has 20 and Mauldin only has 10. Heck, Greenville itself only has 28 square miles of land area, much smaller than Mt Pleasant. N Charleston; 73. MUCH more of Charleston county is incorporated with its suburbs covering much more area, so naturally it and it's burbs are going to look a lot bigger population wise.

Very true.. many of the state's largest cities will in fact be suburbs...

Old 05-28-2019, 09:47 AM

34,637 posts, read 32,012,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I dont get too excited about the city estimates as they're all somewhat inaccurate to wildly inaccurate. Hilton Head is the only one imo that's true. Greenville is easily at least 4.5x larger than those numbers. There's over 80,000 people in NE Columbia who are in "Columbia", but aren't counted. I believe there's around 150,000 people with a Summerville zip code.
The annual city estimates have been pretty inaccurate in several cases, but it has nothing to do with people who aren't actually in the city limits. They don't get counted because they aren't actual residents of the municipality.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 PM

5,561 posts, read 4,576,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The annual city estimates have been pretty inaccurate in several cases, but it has nothing to do with people who aren't actually in the city limits. They don't get counted because they aren't actual residents of the municipality.
Clearly. My point is those people should be apart of the city.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:50 PM

10,110 posts, read 5,482,021 times
I predict Pickens will be one of the fastest growing cities in the state in the next 20 years given its central location between Greenville, the mountains, the lakes, and Clemson.

I think the new Sassafras mountain observation tower is going to bring more tourists in too.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I predict Pickens will be one of the fastest growing cities in the state in the next 20 years given its central location between Greenville, the mountains, the lakes, and Clemson.

I think the new Sassafras mountain observation tower is going to bring more tourists in too.
I have always thought Pickens has some of the best potential in the state to really become a very cool place. It's a good location, has foothills all around, and has some nice foundations in place. BUT, it has largely remained unchanged in my lifetime, and never seems to grow, with a population of just a few thousand. There have been a couple developments in and around its downtown just in the past couple of years, but there's so much potential there. Needs some good visionary leadership and some developers willing to take the plunge.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 10,442,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
I have always thought Pickens has some of the best potential in the state to really become a very cool place. It's a good location, has foothills all around, and has some nice foundations in place. BUT, it has largely remained unchanged in my lifetime, and never seems to grow, with a population of just a few thousand. There have been a couple developments in and around its downtown just in the past couple of years, but there's so much potential there. Needs some good visionary leadership and some developers willing to take the plunge.

It begs the question on if they WANT to change.. When there is a lot of potential for an area including market demand and it still doesn't change.. one has to wonder if people actually want it or are resisting it.. via zoning and land use laws etc.

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-29-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 01:47 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F2F1&FORM=VIRE

Old 06-01-2019, 04:56 PM

10,110 posts, read 5,482,021 times
I don't anybody in Pickens is trying to block development.

Pickens county has had several new employers move in but most of those employees probably live in Greenville.

I think Anderson and Greenwood would have significantly higher populations if gville wasn't so close or popular.

I've done work at several plants in Greenwood and a ton of their employees live in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina